PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Archie

Hal-9000
09-09-2014, 07:00 PM
I wasn't much of a comic book fan growing up, but did manage to read a few Archie Digests

Recently we heard that Archie will die, while throwing himself in front of an assassin's bullet that was intended for a prominent gay politician. And the gay politician was married to a partner who had already died as the result of a hate crime....have I got the facts correct?

:| What the bloody fuck has our world come to?

The worst situation Archie should be put in, is when he makes a date with Betty for Friday night and forgets that he already has a date with Veronica :x

If the writers want to send a good, modern message to the readers, how about if they have an intervention for Jughead and his out of control hamburger addiction??? At least that would be a somewhat nutritional and positive direction for the young fans, demonstrating that you can't live on 10 hamburgers and milkshakes every day.

This really pisses me off because they're killing off a comic book character who was never politically motivated. Now he'll become a martyr for the gays, through a very serious chain of events, and new fans of the comic will never know about the quiet times in Riverdale, hanging out at the malt shop and playing shitty music in the Archies band.

I weep for this generation :(

Noilly Pratt
09-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Yep - my daughter showed me an article at the checkout saying they're killing off Archie, and she had the same expression of "can you believe this is what Archie does now". She's 11. I saved my old Archie Comic digests because I thought they were cool at her age and so did she.

The worst decision Archie should face is whether to fix up the old Jalopy for his date with Veronica, or walk down to the Chocklit Shoppe to meet with Jughead...

Hal-9000
09-09-2014, 07:29 PM
No child should ever have to see this...it makes no sense

There are hundreds of serious comic book heroes and villains. Archie represents a more pure, innocent time

http://i.imgur.com/4Wpj3WQ.jpg

Goofy
09-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Oh sugar :(

Hal-9000
09-09-2014, 08:34 PM
what's next? Richie Rich's evil uncle gets him addicted to meth and turns him out on the street as a tiny gay prostitute to support his drug habit?

:(

Goofy
09-09-2014, 08:43 PM
what's next? Richie Rich's evil uncle gets him addicted to meth and turns him out on the street as a tiny gay prostitute to support his drug habit?

They could get Heisenberg in for that episode :tup:

Godfather
09-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Don't worry, the only person who stays dead in comic books is Uncle Ben Parker.

daggaz
09-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Don't worry, the only person who stays dead in comic books is Uncle Ben Parker.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/624/my_parents_are_deeaaaaaad.jpg

Hal-9000
09-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Even killing off well know superheroes like Superman, Spiderman etc is ludicrous...

put them through hellish encounters that change them, sure.....but killing off Superheroes (only to bring them back..) is lame and idiotic IMO

Hal-9000
09-11-2014, 05:42 AM
I have a new idea for a superhero :)

The Ladyboy!

By day he's a mild mannered millionaire/interior designer named Dicks Naught. By night he's a transgendered crime fighter who can lob ropes of a mucous-like, slightly salty white substance, usually right into his opponent's faces and/or eyes :thumbsup:

He's an expert in Greco-Roman wrestling and an expert marksman as well. After he rescues innocent people, he gets them home safely, tidies their place up a bit and then suggests inexpensive and fun ways to redecorate, coupled with utilizing Feng shui principles and streamers.

He wears a mask (of course), gloves, hot pants and a short, sassy cape. His utility belt has holsters for 6", 8", 10" and 16" rubber projectiles (in both flesh tone and black).

Having both breasts and a penis, he can be made to be passable for either gender, causing great hilarity and hijinks when he confronts criminals in various roadside truck stops and public washrooms.

Godfather
09-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Even killing off well know superheroes like Superman, Spiderman etc is ludicrous...

put them through hellish encounters that change them, sure.....but killing off Superheroes (only to bring them back..) is lame and idiotic IMO

This story isn't canon so it doesn't really change anything.

I agree it's goofy but to play devils advocate, I think they're just trying to take a risk and be inclusive, maybe even make a headline. The writers over at Archie aren't exactly famous for their brilliant, subtle-but-hard-hitting commentary on society :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2014, 10:28 AM
This story isn't canon so it doesn't really change anything.

I agree it's goofy but to play devils advocate, I think they're just trying to take a risk and be inclusive, maybe even make a headline. The writers over at Archie aren't exactly famous for their brilliant, subtle-but-hard-hitting commentary on society :lol:

It's not supposed to be any of that, it's supposed to be fun and lighthearted, not serious.

Hal-9000
09-12-2014, 06:32 PM
I have a new idea for a superhero :)

The Ladyboy!

By day he's a mild mannered millionaire/interior designer named Dicks Naught. By night he's a transgendered crime fighter who can lob ropes of a mucous-like, slightly salty white substance, usually right into his opponent's faces and/or eyes :thumbsup:

He's an expert in Greco-Roman wrestling and an expert marksman as well. After he rescues innocent people, he gets them home safely, tidies their place up a bit and then suggests inexpensive and fun ways to redecorate, coupled with utilizing Feng shui principles and streamers.

He wears a mask (of course), gloves, hot pants and a short, sassy cape. His utility belt has holsters for 6", 8", 10" and 16" rubber projectiles (in both flesh tone and black).

Having both breasts and a penis, he can be made to be passable for either gender, causing great hilarity and hijinks when he confronts criminals in various roadside truck stops and public washrooms.

no one?

damn, I thought this was a good post :sad2:

Noilly Pratt
09-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Hal - I can already smell the wet paint from the placards that the "Mothers Against Depraved And Sexy SuperHeros In Tights" are about to paint regarding "LadyBoy".

MADASSHIT will get you. :D

:-k Is it mad as shit or mad ass hit? :) :friday::cheerlead:

Hal-9000
09-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Mad ass hit....love it Noilly

Godfather
09-13-2014, 05:09 AM
No child should ever have to see this...it makes no sense

There are hundreds of serious comic book heroes and villains. Archie represents a more pure, innocent time

http://i.imgur.com/4Wpj3WQ.jpg

Part of the message of the Death of Archie edition according to the authors was about gun violence. (http://comicsalliance.com/life-with-archie-confront-gun-violence-penultimate-issue-archie-comics/)That's a message I've seen you advocate for on this board.

Archie has always thrown in serious elements at times. The gang has dealt with drinking, drugs, sex, rape, bullying, temptation, cheating in school. Cheryl Blossom had cancer for goodness sakes. Archie is not a pure and innocent comic book by any stretch. I used to love Betty and Veronica's big jugs :lol:

Hal-9000
09-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Yes I have advocated that stance on guns...and Archie should not :lol:

Not only are they killing one of the most non offensive comic characters by gunshot, they're mixing in the gay aspect and politics.

I realize that Archie has matured...him and Betty are married in some alternate universe :lol:

Kill off Aquaman or Green Lantern, not Riverdale folk

deebakes
09-14-2014, 03:07 PM
you just want them to kill off the gay characters apparently :lol:

Godfather
09-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Yes I have advocated that stance on guns...and Archie should not :lol:

Not only are they killing one of the most non offensive comic characters by gunshot, they're mixing in the gay aspect and politics.

I realize that Archie has matured...him and Betty are married in some alternate universe :lol:

Kill off Aquaman or Green Lantern, not Riverdale folk

That's fair, I won't argue further except to point out again that he's not really being killed off, this controversial story was just a non-canon special edition issue. We'll still have Archie to read in line at the grocery store for years to come :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 04:44 PM
you just want them to kill off the gay characters apparently :lol:

Aquaman gets such a bad rap :lol:

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 04:45 PM
That's fair, I won't argue further except to point out again that he's not really being killed off, this controversial story was just a non-canon special edition issue. We'll still have Archie to read in line at the grocery store for years to come :mrgreen:

:shock:

HE LIVES???

well there's another hal-thread right in the toilet :sad2:

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 04:46 PM
UNNFF!