PDA

View Full Version : Obama Tells Congress He Has All the Authority He Needs to Go After ISIS

Teh One Who Knocks
09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
By Russell Berman - The Wire

http://i.imgur.com/Si7y0vp.jpg

President Obama on Tuesday told congressional leaders he doesn't need legislative approval to pursue the military strategy against the Islamic State that he plans to outline to the nation on Wednesday night.

But, according to the White House, Obama also told the leaders that if Congress wants to show his support anyway, it can go right ahead.

The news came after the president gathered the top two congressional officials from each party in the Oval Office to brief them on his strategy to defeat ISIS, one day before he delivers his prime-time address.

The biggest question entering the meeting was whether Obama would seek a formal vote of authorization for his military campaign, as he did last year – unsuccessfully – when he wanted to launch missile strikes against the Bashar Assad regime in Syria.

This time around, Obama told lawmakers he doesn't need them to sign off, according to a White House readout of the meeting.

The president told the leaders that he has the authority he needs to take action against ISIL in accordance with the mission he will lay out in his address tomorrow night."

The leaders in attendance were House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). Vice President Joe Biden also sat in.

The president has already said he is likely to need more money to expand the military effort against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria beyond the airstrikes he is currently ordering in Iraq. With that in mind, Obama told the leaders that helpful action by Congress, while not necessary, would be "welcome."

He reiterated his belief that the nation is stronger and our efforts more effective when the president and Congress work together to combat a national security threat like ISIL. The president told the leaders that he would welcome action by the Congress that would aid the overall effort and demonstrate to the world that the United States is united in defeating the threat from ISIL. The President and his team look forward to continuing extensive consultation with Congress."

According to a separate description of the meeting provided by the speaker's office, Boehner urged Obama to move quickly while giving him support for his plans to aid the Iraqi army and moderate opposition groups in Syria.

The speaker made it clear that ISIL is preparing to fight us, and that as we learned in Syria, the longer we wait, the more difficult our choices become. It is in the best interests of the United States and our allies to put in place a strategy that rises to the challenge of the threat we face, and takes the fight directly to ISIL in a decisive fashion, the speaker said."

A Boehner aide said he could not provide additional information about the discussion surrounding the questions of congressional authorization and funding.

The speaker has criticized Obama for lacking a strategy against terrorists in Iraq and Syria for months, but the statement put out on Tuesday was more supportive.

The speaker stated he would support the president if he chose to deploy the military to help train and play an advisory role for the Iraqi Security Forces and assist with lethal targeting of ISIL leadership. Lastly, the speaker made clear that the administration should re-examine our border and homeland policies and authorities to determine whether there are loopholes or weaknesses that could expose the homeland to an immediate ISIL-linked attack."

While some members of both parties have said Congress needs to approve whatever military action Obama intends to order, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) told lawmakers privately last week that the House would only hold a vote if Obama explicitly requested one.

Speaking to reporters earlier Tuesday, Boehner deflected questions about what Congress might do until after he met with Obama.

Goofy
09-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Just pretend they have weapons of mass destruction, that worked fine the last time :tup:

RBP
09-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Just pretend they have weapons of mass destruction, that worked fine the last time :tup:

Your nation agreed with us, in case you have forgotten.

It's become ridiculous and it's why many people in the US now favor isolationism. If we do nothing, we are uncaring Americans who fail to use their wealth for the good of the world. If we act, we are war mongering imperialists.

There is definitely a part of me that says, shut our borders tight, go brutally after direct threats to our homeland, and let the rest of the world fend for itself. Or go fuck itself, depending on my mood. :lol:

Goofy
09-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Your nation agreed with us, in case you have forgotten.

Oh i know, that wanker Tony Blair lied through his teeth as well :tup: Not my nation though, Scotland didn't make that decision :nana:

RBP
09-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Oh i know, that wanker Tony Blair lied through his teeth as well :tup: Not my nation though, Scotland didn't make that decision :nana:

You haven't voted yet. :nana:

Goofy
09-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Postal votes are already out ;)

I could've voted by post [-(

PorkChopSandwiches
09-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Such a douche :obama:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-10-2014, 01:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pqprFt6.jpg

perrhaps
09-10-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm less concerned about his authority than I am about his backbone.

Loser
09-10-2014, 01:50 PM

Pretend? You mean the stockpiles that ISIS now have from hidden caches in iraq?

Those must of magically appeared after saddam died ;)

RBP
09-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Pretend? You mean the stockpiles that ISIS now have from hidden caches in iraq?

Those must of magically appeared after saddam died ;)
Reference point? I haven't heard this before.

Loser
09-11-2014, 05:01 AM
one of many on google.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1406692/isis-in-iraq-have-saddam-husseins-wmd-was-george-w-bush-right-to-fear-terrorist-attack-in-america/

Google "ISIS Iraq WMD".

Loser
09-11-2014, 05:05 AM
http://awdnews.com/top-news/9711-isis-terrorist-used-biological-weapons-in-northern-iraq.html

Godfather
09-11-2014, 06:00 AM
France has now said they'll help bomb ISIS too. If this was absolutely guaranteed to just be airstrikes against ISIS, I'd say good. But it won't be, and violating Syria's sovereignty isn't going to make anything better. ISIS may be an enemy of Syria but Syria sees this as an act of aggression...

Just my prediction on how fighting ISIS will go down: There will be a long gruelling fight against ISIS. There will be American troops on the ground in a direct combat role at some point regardless of what was said tonight. This will cost hundreds of millions of dollars. It will hurt the economy. Worst of all, this fight will be muddied and mixed with other agenda meaning fighting other enemies (Assad) before it's over.

Funny that on the eve of 9/11 another war is about to kick off. Maybe every ten years the West will go back there to fight whatever radical group pops up?

Very sorry for the disorganized rant. You may pick it apart now :lol: