PDA

View Full Version : Scientists: 'Extreme' solar storm heading to Earth

Teh One Who Knocks
09-10-2014, 10:23 PM
By SETH BORENSTEIN - The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Scientists say an extreme solar flare is blasting its way to Earth and could mess up some power grids, satellites and radio transmissions.

Forecasters at the Space Weather Prediction Center don't yet know when Wednesday's solar storm will arrive here and which part of the planet will be facing the sun and bear the brunt of the effects. It could be as early as Thursday morning to a few days.

Prediction Center director Tom Berger said scientists will have a better idea after they get more satellite data.

The flare is considered extreme on forecasters' scale, but just barely. Flares like this cause geomagnetic storms which can knock some power grids offline temporarily. They also can damage satellites and disrupt radio transmissions. But they expand the colorful northern lights.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-10-2014, 11:13 PM
:hills:

Loser
09-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Bullshit.

You're telling me all the people at nasa can't calculate what time this things going to hit earth? :roll:

They know damn well where and when is going to be affected, they just don't want to cause panic.

Hal-9000
09-11-2014, 01:23 AM
I didn't mention it but we had some nice Northern Lights a couple of weekends ago....not a big deal but it was warm that night and not very late. Usually when I've seen them it is cold and late at night.

Okay so where's FBD to call me Chicken Little??...I've been telling him for years that one solar flare is going to cause a huge EMP...or enough radiation to affect the electronics on Earth.

it's coming bitch and I WAS RIGHT :lol:

KevinD
09-11-2014, 01:36 AM
It's a 9/11 conspiracy!!!!!!

Hal-9000
09-11-2014, 01:37 AM
serte-enly you're joking [-(

:dance:

Godfather
09-11-2014, 02:58 AM
Ya this storm is going to end the world... Or *might* cause mild static on your radio depending on what news article you read :roll:

http://www.thesuntoday.org/solar-observations/ar12158-gives-away-an-x-flare-and-cme/

PorkChopSandwiches
09-11-2014, 03:50 AM
I farted so bad my son had to leave his room where the pc is, kinda like that?

Noilly Pratt
09-11-2014, 05:26 AM
I farted so bad my son had to leave his room where the pc is, kinda like that?

Worse...it's like the mother of all SBDs. Or, Gilligan's Island won't come in. Or we'll all have bitchin' suntans for .2 seconds until the Earth, and part of Venus is melted like 3 1/2" floppy drives in a blast furnace.

Happy Thursday, everyone! :)

Goofy
09-11-2014, 11:38 AM
I watched the Nic Cage film "Knowing" last night :shock:

perrhaps
09-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Hope this doesn't affect my ability to listen to Sirius Radio Channel 25. I haven't heard "Gonna Raise Hell" for the past four hours.

Hal-9000
09-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Solar flares are like meteor showers.....all random chance and we've been lucky up until this point in history

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2014, 10:11 PM
:freakout: