PDA

View Full Version : 'Rory dumped me by phone... but at least now I can date someone taller': Tennis star Caroline Wozniacki takes a savage swipe against golf star ex-lover McIlroy

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2014, 11:42 AM
By Steph Cockroft for MailOnline and Francesca Infante for the Daily Mail

Tennis star Caroline Wozniacki says she was left 'shocked' after her ex-fiancé Rory McIlroy broke up with her over the telephone - but says she now intends to date a taller man.

The 24-year-old, who this week clinched second place in the U.S Open, split with the world number one at the end of May this year, just days after the couple sent out their wedding invitations.

At the time, the Northern Irish golfer said the end of the three-year relationship was 'mutual and amicable' - but now Ms Wozniacki has revealed McIlroy broke up with her out of the blue during a ten-minute call and did not even give her 'a face-to-face'.

http://i.imgur.com/UZLQ8ke.png

Speaking about the break-up for the first time, she told In Depth With Graham Bensinger on Yahoo! News: 'It was very hard because he made it very public from the start. He put out a press release so I didn’t have a choice, you know,  it just got put in my face.

‘Oh I was shocked. I thought at least, you know, I would get a face to face or something. But there was nothing – it was just a phone call and I did not hear from him again.

'‘I don’t think you expect to find yourself in a situation like that, you can’t prepare yourself or your body for anything like that so I think I was in a bit of a shocked phase there for a while.’

During the interview, the 5ft 10in tennis ace also made an apparent dig at her ex-fiancé by saying she would next date someone 'tall' so that she can wear high heels.

Speaking about her ideal man, she said: ‘Someone who is fun to be around who doesn't take himself seriously. I would like a taller guy so I can wear my heels.'

Ms Wozniacki was two inches taller than 5ft 8in McIlroy and usually wore flat shoes when they appeared together in public.

After the break-up, Ms Wozniacki famously posted a picture of herself shopping with a friend in Istanbul wearing platform heels.

She wrote: 'Out and about in Istanbul. It's been three years since I have worn high heels on a normal day out. #feelsgood #looksgood #shopping #highheels #sun'.

Multi-millionaire McIlroy, who won the coveted British Open in July, announced he and Ms Wozniacki had split earlier this year because he was not ready for ‘all that marriage entails’.

He later said in a statement released through Dublin-based communications consultants that the 'problem is mine'.

At the time, he said it would be difficult to concentrate on the tournament on the back of a public break-up. But days later, McIlroy went on to win the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth.

His form continued and, in July, he won the British Open by a clear margin, before going on to win the U.S. PGA Championship.

He later claimed that the break-up was the reason behind his unstoppable form, saying: ‘I think what happened has been for the best in terms of my golf.

'I’ve put a bit more time into it and it has refocused me. I mean, what else do I have to do now?'

http://i.imgur.com/3T282CI.png

Meanwhile, Miss Wozniacki crashed out in the first round of the French Open.

But ever since, she has made a remarkable comeback, and this week narrowly missed out on the US Open title to her best friend Serena Williams.

Yesterday she credited her resurgence on focusing on tennis and the support of female friends such as Miss Williams.

She said: ‘I went to Miami after the French Open and Serena was there and we had a great time.

'I came back from that and I felt refreshed, I felt like a new self. I started practising towards Wimbledon and I was playing well ... I think you just have to take life as it goes and I believe you never get things put on you that you can’t handle. I’m definitely on the other side now – I’ve moved on.’

But she also seemed to hit out at her former fiance, suggesting McIlroy had found it hard to balance his career with their relationship.

She added: ‘I think it is very important to have a life off the court and to me it wasn’t that hard to balance tennis and a relationship.’

After two years together, McIlroy, who is worth an estimated £28million, proposed to Wozniacki in Sydney, Australia, on New Year's Day with a £120,000 diamond ring.

http://i.imgur.com/nqW9XgD.png

The pair experienced an on/off relationship during their time together, with sources close to the couple claiming McIlroy broke it off with Ms Wozniacki in April last year.

They eventually confirmed their engagement on New Year’s Day after McIlroy, who also won the US Open in 2011 and the U.S. PGA Championship in 2012, proposed during a fireworks show on New Year's Eve in Sydney.

According to sources, their wedding was due to take place at the Rockefeller Centre in New York on November 8.

At the time of their engagement, Wozniacki, who is worth an estimated £15m, posted a picture of the engagement ring on her Twitter account.She wrote: 'Happy new year everyone! Rory and I started 2014 with a bang! ...I said YES!!!!'

McIlroy then shared the same picture and added: 'Happy New Year everyone! I have a feeling it's going to be a great year!! My first victory of 2014 #shesaidyes!!'

But in the statement after their break-up, McIlroy said: 'The problem is mine.

'The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise that I wasn't ready for all that marriage entails.

'I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we've had.'

Ms Wozniacki, who was born in Denmark to Polish parents, became world number one in 2012.

http://i.imgur.com/RCYXBJP.png

McIlroy suffered a difficult golfing season last year and said he had considered seeing a sports psychologist to help overcome his issues.

He is currently involved in a lengthy legal battle with his former management company in the courts in Dublin over commissions from his lucrative sports sponsorship and endorsement contracts.

The golf star, who has a £12m a year contract with Nike, claims he has paid more than £4m based on unreasonable fee rates much higher than the norm in the sports agency industry.

MailOnline has contacted McIlroy's agent for comment.

Goofy
09-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Rory Faggotroy :ok:

Hal-9000
09-11-2014, 06:33 PM
so Serena is the new, taller man? :-s

Goofy
09-11-2014, 06:45 PM
so Serena is the new, taller man? :-s

He must be :shrug:

Hikari Kisugi
09-12-2014, 02:14 PM