PDA

View Full Version : High school student launches petition to have cat and lasers in senior photo

Teh One Who Knocks
09-12-2014, 11:02 AM
BY Nina Golgowski - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://i.imgur.com/EGDJXrpl.jpg

It's a photo the Revenge of the Nerds might give him a swirly for.

But pink and blue lasers and a snuggly cat are exactly how one 16-year-old upstate New York student wants his classmates to remember him by.

Draven Rodriguez, a brazen Schenectady High School senior with a stylish sense of humor, is petitioning to have his 1980s-inspired glamour shot in his yearbook as his senior photo after realizing it doesn't conform to usual standards.

"I don't want to go in the yearbook with the generic 'I-look-like-everyone-else' photo. I wanted a 'He looks great. Only he would try that' photo," he told the Daily Gazette of his photo that features his very-own cat, Mr. Bugglesworth.

As of Thursday his online petition has surpassed his 500-signature goal by more than 800. But as his school says, rules are rules, though they're open to negotiations.

"This photo won't be a senior portrait but it can be in another area," school district spokeswoman Karen Corona told the Daily News Thursday by phone.

"We're not trying to not allow him to be creative but the senior portraits have a professional look. They're all the same," she said.

Corona said she's still planning on speaking with the school's principal on the photo's ultimate placement, but said the book will feature "a lot of areas where students are allowed to express their creativity."

Where that is, Draven's photo will likely be.

Draven, reached for comment by the Daily Gazette Wednesday after informed of the likely decision, responded: "I can work with that."