PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Cameroon, where drinking Baileys can lead to imprisonment

Teh One Who Knocks
09-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Rose Troup Buchanan - The Independent

http://i.imgur.com/3w0e5xs.jpg

A human rights lawyer has described the horrendous treatment experienced by gay people in Cameroon – where drinking a Baileys could put you in prison.

Michel Togue, a Cameroonian lawyer, said he had defended dozens of gay people but few were ever caught in the act.

Mr Togue, speaking to the ThinkProgress blog, said the African country uses gender stereotypes to convict gay individuals.

Homosexuality is banned in Cameroon and since 1972 has carried a prison sentence of five years.

In one instance, a client of Mr Togue’s was convicted for his feminine mannerisms and drinking Bailey’s Irish Cream – a choice which the judge felt was a woman’s drink.

He says police rely on gender stereotypes to arrests suspected gay individuals, with people arousing suspicion for being – for example – a male hairdresser.

Mr Togue says that stigma fuels the accusations and arrests, with a lifestyle choices such as cross-dressing used as evidence a man is gay.

The atmosphere is having a negative effect on healthcare in the country, particularly HIV testing.

“They can’t go to the hospital for the treatment or even for a test because they’re afraid,” Togue explained.

In one case he had heard of an individual who was investigated by police after he admitted to a nurse that he’d had same-sex relations and she informed the authorities.

Earlier this year Alice Nkom, a 69-year-old lawyer, claimed Cameroon was suffering under an “anti-homosexual apartheid”.

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 09:48 PM
ffs :lol:

so if I'm wearing a totally fresh belt and matching shoes I'm a suspect?

Griffin
09-15-2014, 09:55 PM
fag

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 10:08 PM
I quit drinking years ago but one night I had a relapse and bought a bottle of Kahlua...drank it with milk

I recall RBP making me the object of his scorn and ridicule :oops:

*I actually started getting hosed and had to quit posting :lol:

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 10:10 PM
on an unrelated note, one night I'm at the truckstop doing my thing and giving this guy a bj and then at one point....tries to kiss me!!!! :shock:

them fags sure can get pushy [-(

Teh One Who Knocks
09-15-2014, 10:21 PM
ffs :lol:

so if I'm wearing a totally fresh belt and matching shoes I'm a suspect?

And then they'll send you to Egypt to give you the 'ghey test' :nono:

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 10:24 PM
And then they'll send you to Egypt to give you the 'ghey test' :nono:

:shock:

I've heard it's a form of polygraph where they hook something to your willy then display pics of Brad Pitt shirtless....any reaction and the fail light goes on

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 10:24 PM
:shock:

I've heard it's a form of polygraph where they hook something to your willy then display pics of Brad Pitt shirtless....any reaction and the fail light goes on

which isn't much different than my regular Friday night activities :tup:

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 10:35 PM
this makes me sad....you could be on holidays there goofing off and the police start hauling you in...

charge - 5 years for buggery & faggotry

all because I do a great Richard Simmons imitation :sad2:

Hal-9000
09-15-2014, 10:44 PM
I should probably stop posting in this thread now

:lol:

Griffin
09-15-2014, 10:46 PM
It's not the near perfect imitation, but the audacity to wear those shorts that got you arrested.

Hugh_Janus
09-16-2014, 09:07 PM
so you should go to prison for drinking that stuff.... it's nasty as fuck

DemonGeminiX
09-16-2014, 09:40 PM
I quit drinking years ago but one night I had a relapse and bought a bottle of Kahlua...drank it with milk

I recall RBP making me the object of his scorn and ridicule :oops:

*I actually started getting hosed and had to quit posting :lol:

I knew some chicks that loved Kahlua...

Hal-9000
09-16-2014, 10:33 PM
I knew some chicks that loved Kahlua...

I used to call those sort of drinks - breath fresheners :)

not real booze, make believe