PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Judd 'Absolutely' Feels The Misogyny On Set In Hollywood

Teh One Who Knocks
09-17-2014, 11:37 AM
The Huffington Post | By Alanna Vagianos

http://i.imgur.com/3sEtVFO.jpg

Ashley Judd has never been quiet about the media's sexist coverage of women, and now she's opening up about the misogyny she's encountered as a working woman in Hollywood.

The 46-year-old actress sat down with HitFlix on Sept. 12 to discuss her upcoming movie "Dolphin Tale 2." About three minutes into the interview, HitFlix's Louis Virtel brought up Judd's articulate 2012 Daily Beast article on the media's "misogynistic assault on all women," and asked if she's ever encountered this sexism in her professional life. Her response: "Absolutely."
Judd pointed out both subtle and blatant sexism she's experienced in the workplace:

Recently, in part of the strength of my growing up -- and I don't mean just in years -- but growing up spiritually, growing up emotionally, is being able to risk authority figures disapproval in order to point out what I think is workplace discrimination.

She also recounted numerous times she received "sexually charged" comments from producers and fell victim to "egregious sexual harassment" from a "famous movie mogul." Judd told Virtel that, despite being a well-versed women's studies minor, it wasn't until years later when her and other actors traded similar stories of this man's inappropriate behavior that she realized it was sexual harassment.

At the time... I had no idea at the time that that's what was happening to me. It took years for me to identify in retrospect that that is what had occurred. Later, when some of us other actors got together and talked about it, "Oh yeah, he did that to me too."

Judd used this anecdote to point out the importance of "female-to-female alliances" and that it's not just women who are negatively affected by everyday misogyny. "I think the patriarchy is as abusive and exclusive to boys and men as it is girls and women and totally limits these constraining definitions of who we are and how we're supposed to be," she said.

That's definitely a "W" in our book of feminist takedowns.

RBP
09-17-2014, 11:50 AM
She didn't realize it until other people told her she was abused, named no specific examples, and stated that patriarchy is an abusive to men and boys as women? :facepalm:

deebakes
09-17-2014, 01:04 PM
i don't get it :idk:

DemonGeminiX
09-17-2014, 08:16 PM
If you didn't like the atmosphere then why did you stay in the profession?

I liked Ashley when she was younger, but lately it seems all she ever does is whine about her station in life. That and she's not aging well.

Goofy
09-17-2014, 08:20 PM

It rhymes with 'honey' :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-17-2014, 08:22 PM
She didn't realize it until other people told her she was abused, named no specific examples, and stated that patriarchy is an abusive to men and boys as women? :facepalm:

She didnt know she didnt like it :tup:

DemonGeminiX
09-17-2014, 08:24 PM
She wasn't an A-lister and therefore not getting paid that much. That's probably what her beef is: "I should be getting paid as much as so-and-so per picture, but I'm not and it's misogyny dammit!"

:wah:

Noilly Pratt
09-17-2014, 09:43 PM
This sort of thing goes on in EVERY profession. And to men, as well.

I just graduated college and thought "well, now my career starts". Uh, no - not without experience. So I started as a data entry clerk at a property management firm.

Work was OK until about 2 months into it, and then my boss asked me to be her dancing partner in a ballroom dancing course she was taking(!) At every break she harped on and on about it (picture Rosie O'Donnell looking more greek, and you just about have it), and after asking me a few times and having me say "no" each time, she then proceeded to make my life a living hell.

Any crap task would be mine, and then she got the the sole computer guy there on her side, who I found out I out-qualified by a big margin, and he gave me all his garbage tasks as well. Other co-workers said "what the hell did you do to her? She's really got it in for you".

Snarky and sexist comments were common. The capper was once I went to a nightclub and she was there, along with her quite-hot sister. I was curteous to my boss, but spent more time with her sister -- because she was hot and because she actually was engaging in conversation, and add to the fact that we were both in the same College together so there was a lot of common ground.

It was a crappy time of my life, and the capper was my dad dying. After only a week off for his funeral and all of that, she began to berate in front of the whole office that I'd left the files in a shambles, etc and then suddenly stopped. According to my co-workers I had a murderous look on my face. I remember thinking "yeah, c'mon, I've got lots of pent up emotion, go on, taunt me just a little more".

I quit shortly thereafter going over her head and telling her boss I wasn't being paid enough, and that a 20 cent an hour raise from the $6 I was getting (this was 1989 and I think minimum wage was about $5 per hour) wasn't enough. I'd calculated it out, and if I worked at the local corner store and didn't commute, I'd be better off financially. They were moving offices to downtown, and at that time there was no good bus route to the place.

I'm glad I got out of that situation. To report her and the company would have been a grand hassle, and I just figured it was a good learning experience.