PDA

View Full Version : Who’s the Daddy? Move over spiders, Britain faces new insect invasion

Teh One Who Knocks
09-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Metro News (UK)

http://i.imgur.com/LWQGIMm.jpg
The creatures can grow up to four inches in length, and could be inside our homes laying eggs within days (Picture: SWNS)

Britain is still battling the plague of giant spiders unleashed by this year’s warm weather – and now scientists are warning that we face a new six-legged invasion.

Gigantic daddy long-legs are expected to invade British homes to mate and lay eggs within the next fortnight.

Thankfully, the urban myth about the eight-legged creatures being the most venomous spider on Earth is just that – a myth.

The creatures are actually crane flies – known as daddy-long legs for their spindly limbs, and capable of growing up to four inches in length.

This year, they have emerged early and experts are expecting a larger than usual population due to the humid weather.

With the temperature set to drop, the creatures will invade homes looking for shelter in the next few weeks.

Entomologist Barry Warrington, from Hull, Yorkshire, said: ‘It is definitely a bumper year this year, simply due to the nice weather.’

‘It has not been as cold, there is a lot more for them to prey on.’

‘People will start to see them even more in the last couple of weeks as they head indoors for warmth, shelter and to find a mate.’

As larvae, or leatherjackets, they live under the soil in the summer feasting on plant roots and garden lawns – and during cold weather many of them will die out.

But when they emerge they feast on smaller insects and head indoors when temperatures drop.

Experts reckon a mild winter means more of the over-sized insects have survived than usual, and the long, warm summer means there is plenty for them to eat.

Most species of adult crane fly – which are harmless and thought to survive on food reserves – only live to mate once before they die with a lifespan of two weeks.

redred
09-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Yeah got shot loads of them in the garden been feeding them to the big spiders :lol:

Acid Trip
09-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Since when do Daddy Long Legs have only 6 legs and wings?

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I ate one when I was a lad....(8 legged variety) because someone had heard that they were poison

I'm ok :-s

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 05:55 PM
I do have the odd craving for aphids and gnats most summers, not sure if related :-k

DemonGeminiX
09-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Since when do Daddy Long Legs have only 6 legs and wings?

They don't. That pic looks like one of those super-mosquitoes that cause havoc down here in the South.

DemonGeminiX
09-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Apparently, what we call Daddy Longlegs are a species of spider, but Europe calls these fuckers the same thing.

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 06:16 PM
my theory - any flying insect that has appreciable weight when landing on your body - remove from the evolutionary chain :tup:

DemonGeminiX
09-23-2014, 06:22 PM
There's a species of these crane flies down here in the South. They're considered invasive, and I've been seeing them on and off for the past 20+ years I've been down here. The fuckers are huge and scary looking.

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 06:40 PM
we have horseflies up here...little larger than normal flies with a tiny bite

people freak when they get bit, no venom or even lasting red mark tho :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-23-2014, 06:42 PM
We have horse flies here too. I've never let either one of these suckers get close enough to know whether or not they bite and if it hurts or not.

Goofy
09-23-2014, 06:47 PM
I kill these fuckers on a regular basis :lol: Practically every night i have the light on and window open, these fuckers and those daft moth bastards always invade......... and then get squashed by my iron fists :hitler:

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 06:50 PM
We have horse flies here too. I've never let either one of these suckers get close enough to know whether or not they bite and if it hurts or not.

I did some nosing around into some of the bugs n shit you guys have down there in the south....you win, every time :lol:

seriously, if someone from my city saw some of the creepy crawlies you guys have, they'd wet their pants and head north

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 06:50 PM
I kill these fuckers on a regular basis :lol: Practically every night i have the light on and window open, these fuckers and those daft moth bastards always invade......... and then get squashed by my iron fists :hitler:

that's the ONLY good thing about us having 7 months of shit-winter weather

keeps the bugs down reeeeeel good :tup:

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 06:52 PM
me, broken femur, crutches and the most intelligent moth ever in my house one night...

great 3 hour adventure story culminating with the moth somehow escaping my oven and living to fight again another day :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-23-2014, 07:49 PM
I did some nosing around into some of the bugs n shit you guys have down there in the south....you win, every time :lol:

seriously, if someone from my city saw some of the creepy crawlies you guys have, they'd wet their pants and head north

You're not kidding. I've seen huge fuzzy worms or whatever the hell they are... about twice the length of an average sized hand's thumb, thicker than a shit log, and fuzzy crawling around the concrete... and no one down here seems to know what the fuck they are.

Let's not even talk about those fucking palmetto bugs... giant roaches...

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 08:06 PM
me working at a resort in Banff housekeeping...

I approach a unit and there's a big brown bug on the doorframe...the size of a hairbrush handle

I stand there, frozen for 5 minutes, then say screw it and cross the threshold...at that exact moment the monstrosity flies right at me, hitting me in the chest with a thud.

I shriek like a 13 yr old girl at a Bieber concert, throw my supplies basket and vacuum in the air, and take off running. My coworkers catch up with me 10 units away, asking wtf? :lol:

It was the largest June bug I've ever seen and that fcker had a wingspan of at least 10 inches and weighed close to a pound [-(

Hugh_Janus
09-23-2014, 08:18 PM
those things are the loudest creatures in history and they only come in through your open bedroom window just as you're about to fall asleep.... cunts

Goofy
09-23-2014, 09:32 PM
those things are the loudest creatures in history and they only come in through your open bedroom window just as you're about to fall asleep.... cunts

:lol: I can confirm this!

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 09:45 PM
:lol:

don't you guys have screens in your windows over there ffs? :lol:

Goofy
09-23-2014, 10:05 PM
:lol:

don't you guys have screens in your windows over there ffs? :lol:

Never seen a single insect screen over here in my life! :lol:

Goofy
09-23-2014, 10:07 PM
I tell a lie, just remembered the Chinese takeaway in Stanley has an insect screen in the doorway when you go in :mrgreen: Damn good curry sauce too, spicy as balls :homer:

Hal-9000
09-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Never seen a single insect screen over here in my life! :lol:

We're not in Locust-ville like some people in the States...yet every house up here that I've been in has a screen, then the window * (in outside doors too)

* bedroom windows, dens etc...not the big front room windows