PDA

View Full Version : 'Macho Man' Savage dies in car wreck

DemonGeminiX
05-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Updated May 20, 2011 1:11 PM ET
LARGO, Fla.

Former pro wrestling star "Macho Man" Randy Savage died Friday of injuries suffered in a car accident in Tampa, Fla., TMZ reported.

He was 58.

The Florida Highway Patrol told TMZ that Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across the center median and struck a tree. He did not hit any oncoming vehicles.

Savage died of his injuries at Largo Medical Center, TMZ reported.

Savage's wife, Lynn, was a passenger in the vehicle and suffered minor injuries, authorities said. She was treated at a separate hospital.

Savage's brother, Lanny Poffo, told TMZ the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while behind the wheel.

Savage, whose real name was Randy Poffo, was one of wrestling's biggest stars through the mid-1980s and 1990s. He retired in 2005.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/Macho-Man-Randy-Savage-dies-in-car-accident-052011/?GT1=39002

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2011, 05:28 PM
I used to watch wrestling back in the 80's....I liked the Macho Man :(

:rip:

Hal-9000
05-20-2011, 05:30 PM
He used to stay at a friend of mine's when he came to Calgary with the WWF.I met one of his kids... :(
(I grew up and went to school with the Hart family)

PorkChopSandwiches
05-20-2011, 05:38 PM
bummer

Muddy
05-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Wow that sucks... He looked exactly like my uncle....

Hal-9000
05-20-2011, 05:41 PM
The night I met him in person he was relatively soft spoken (none of the OOOOH YEAAAAH stuff) and he filled doorways :shock:

It made me laugh to see the supposed enemies, sitting in the living room getting drinks for each other

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2011, 05:45 PM
He used to stay at a friend of mine's when he came to Calgary with the WWF.I met one of his kids... :(
(I grew up and went to school with the Hart family)

Oh yeah, I forgot that the Hart's were from your part o' Canada....I liked all those guys. That's when wrestling was entertaining.

Hal-9000
05-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot that the Hart's were from your part o' Canada....I liked all those guys. That's when wrestling was entertaining.

The Hart mansion is about 5 kms from my place on the west side of town...partied there a lot :thumbsup:

I went to school with Owen and Diana, grades 11,12.I met Brett, Bruce, Smith, Keith and Stu Hart.

Funny story about Owen - him and I were exactly the same size in high school, 6 feet tall, 185 lbs.He was on our school wrestling team (the real wrestling) and I don't think I saw him ever lose.At one competition at our school the guy Owen was wrestling started to pull some cheap moves.He grabbed his neck, forearmed Owen in the crotch, was clinging onto Owen's socks...that sort of crap.Owen just looked at the ref and the ref warned the other guy.

At one point Owen had the guy's head and arm in a headlock, Owen was standing over top of him.The guy threw his arm up into Owen's crotch to try and break the hold so Owen grabbed the side of his trunks at the hip and souplexed him :lol: The dude's legs literally went straight up in the air and over.Owen got on top of him for the pin.Then the guy's coach started screaming at the ref, saying it was an illegal move.The ref ruled it was a fair takedown and pin.

In the audience we were all standing and applauding.Owen grew up in the 'dungeon' ..a gym and mini-ring in his basement.He said his brothers would come home drunk and throw him around constantly...'teaching him moves' :lol:

Muddy
05-20-2011, 06:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLP-hzEX6Uc

redred
05-20-2011, 06:04 PM
:rip: randy

great story hal :tup: am i right in thinking owen was the one that fell from the roof and died?

redred
05-20-2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI4WwmsgmNc

Hal-9000
05-20-2011, 06:12 PM
:rip: randy

great story hal :tup: am i right in thinking owen was the one that fell from the roof and died?

yeah...like I said he was my size, we both finished school and then he grew to be huge man in the WFF.(steroids)
There was something suspicious about his death and Vince McMahon was involved...in fact it was so bad, that was why Brett Hart left the WFF.

I think back to my friend who would babysit the wrestler's kids when they came here...I saw a lot of famous dudes, both the good and bad guys
chilling out, eating together.Only saw Randy one night, he seemed like a good dude.

There was lots of drug abuse and background shit people don't know about...Diana wrote a book that was later removed from the stores about her life
in the Hart family and the abuse she suffered at Davey Boy Smith's hands.She claimed he was on both prescription painkillers and other drugs and drugged
her orange juice at night and then ass raped her while she was unconscious.She also gave the whole breakdown on how wrestling is fake, how they do the moves
and how it's determined who wins and loses.

From grade 11 on, I knew it was entirely staged and often argued with fans who insisted (insist) that pro wrestling is real.

Cactus
05-20-2011, 11:41 PM
THis mad me sad today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQ2EnGWvAs

Lambchop
05-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Do you guys think he used steroids? He developed an involuntary risk factor being a male over the age of 40 but if you factor in the steroids and having a very stressful career it certainly isn't a surprise. Rest in peace dude.

Hal-9000
05-21-2011, 12:52 AM
I heard that he used them...the guys I knew certainly did.I just heard he had a massive heart attack and that caused the accident.

If you want to read a sad story google Davey Boy Smith..guy started as a skinny Brit in our city on Stampede Wrestling...then he roided up...then took a ton of prescription pain killers as well as street drugs...and he died

Cactus
05-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Do you guys think he used steroids? He developed an involuntary risk factor being a male over the age of 40 but if you factor in the steroids and having a very stressful career it certainly isn't a surprise. Rest in peace dude.

I think based on the era of pro wrestling that he was star during, it is pretty safe to assume that he took steriods. He was also a big star during the eighties and their are stories of big star spending their pay checks on coke. I think Savage must have tried a few drugs when he was wrestling. But alot of 58 years have massive heart attacks that never done drugs.

It kinda of makes me sad. My older cousin Marshall always got Wrestlemanias for his birthdays. Wrestlemani III was the first PPV I ever saw and I was five. Savage wrestled Ricky the Dragon in one of the best matches ever. THe next Wrestlemania is the first one I remember every detail too. I remember the storyline and build up with Hogan losing the title to ANdre the Giant. Andre sold the title to The Million Dollar Man who paid the ref off in the Hogan match. The Title was held up and at Wrestlemania IV was a title tourney to crown a new Champ. Savage wrestled four times to beat THe Million Dollar Man in the final. It was great. Makes me kinda of wish I was a six year old wide eyed kid again :sad:

Noilly Pratt
05-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I remember that era well. It was entertaining, and you kinda knew it was fake but you didn't care. I'd imagine that that's what it was like, Hal, all of them hanging out like that. I knew a few 80's era Canucks and when the visiting teams came in, some of them would hang out at each other's houses.

Even those players who in the press are trumped up to be "bitter enemies" were sharing beer and burgers on the BBQ. Tiger Williams was a known "enforcer" but everybody was friendly off the ice.

deebakes
05-21-2011, 05:59 PM
:rip: