PDA

View Full Version : Scottish nationalist Sturgeon says to run for leadership of independence party

Teh One Who Knocks
09-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Reuters

http://i.imgur.com/dy4cYuv.jpg

GLASGOW Scotland (Reuters) - Scottish nationalist Nicola Sturgeon said on Wednesday she would run for the leadership of the Scottish National Party (SNP), a job that would make her Scotland's most powerful politician.

After failing to secure Scotland's backing for independence in a referendum last week, current SNP leader Alex Salmond said he would step down as First Minister and party leader.

"I am announcing today my candidacy to be the next leader of the SNP and the next First Minister of Scotland," Sturgeon, the 44-year-old deputy leader, told reporters in Glasgow, Scotland's biggest city.

"Independence is the best future for Scotland. And I am more convinced than ever that we will one day become an independent country," she said. "But that will happen only when the people of Scotland choose that course in the polling booth."

Last Thursday, Scots voted by 55 to 45 percent to reject secession, prompting British Prime Minister David Cameron to declare that the question of Scottish independence had been settled "for a generation".

Sturgeon, a solicitor before entering politics, made clear that while the long-term goal was independence, she would focus on holding London politicians to their promise of more powers to Scotland while building what she said was a fairer society.

"The process of strengthening and empowering ‎the Scottish Parliament must now get under way in earnest," said Sturgeon, who spoke from behind a podium at Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall that bore the slogan "Moving Scotland Forward".

"The people of Scotland have made clear that the need for new powers is urgent and irresistible. But as First Minister, my responsibility will also be to use those powers we already have to make life better - now - for those we serve."