PDA

View Full Version : Running into old friends

Godfather
09-25-2014, 01:15 AM
Why is it that when you run into people you haven't seen in a while, they always say "oh we should go for drinks" or "let's meet up sometime, what's your number"?

Why lie... In the age of social media, email, etc etc, if you want to see someone, you will. If you want to meet up and stay in touch, you will. If I just run into you after two years of never speaking - let's have a nice pleasant chat, spend a few minutes catching up, and then just say "well it was nice to see you, take it easy." Then simply move on and savour the nice conversation.

I'm so tired of pretending I want to re-acquaint myself with people from high school or an old sports team or whatever. It's phoney and never going to happen. Of course I'll stand there and deliver a cheesy smile and pretend to look forward to making plans - never - but I just don't get why everyone seems to do this when we both know it'll never happen.

If you do this - please explain why.

RBP
09-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Because you're hot and I was hoping we could hook up. :oops:

Pony
09-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Hey Godfather was here! Good to see ya bud! We should get together and meet up for drinks sometime!

FBD
09-25-2014, 12:02 PM
if I say that to someone, you know damn well I want to have a drink with 'em....but its once in a blue moon I actually say that :lol:

Noilly Pratt
09-25-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm usually honest and don't try to schedule, or pseudo-schedule something. I just say "great to see you again".

But I think we have this polite default that makes us say that before we even know the words are out of our mouths. Perhaps it's a Canadian-only thing??

Hal-9000
09-25-2014, 03:51 PM
I promise little, deliver on everything...it's a good way to live.

That's why I don't log onto Facebook anymore. Too many "we should get together, here's my number blah blah blah" like GF mentions....and the people saying it never or rarely follow through.

Muddy
09-25-2014, 03:54 PM
I hate when I run into an old friend that was a cool guy in school but is now a felonious dirtball.. And they ask me for my cell phone number... ugh.

Hal-9000
09-25-2014, 05:42 PM
felonious.....good word :thumbsup:

as in

Darnell Felonious Dirtbag Washington III :dance:

Hugh_Janus
09-25-2014, 05:45 PM
just do what I do.... an about turn before they clock you. 80% of the time it works every time

PorkChopSandwiches
09-25-2014, 05:51 PM
I hate when I run into an old friend that was a cool guy in school but is now a felonious dirtball.. And they ask me for my cell phone number... ugh.

Yeah, most of the time I havent been seeing them for a reason.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-25-2014, 05:51 PM
just do what I do.... an about turn before they clock you. 80% of the time it works every time

And the other 20%? :-s

Hugh_Janus
09-25-2014, 06:10 PM
And the other 20%? :-s

one word answers :lol: