PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC's Malcolm Young leaving band

Teh One Who Knocks
09-26-2014, 10:41 AM
By Todd Leopold, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/3aQUWo4.jpg

(CNN) -- AC/DC founder Malcolm Young won't be returning to the group, the band has announced.

The group's new album, "Rock or Bust," does not include Young. It will be released December 2, with a single, "Play Ball," due to make its debut Saturday during the TBS postseason baseball campaign. (TBS, like CNN, is a unit of Time Warner.)

In April, the band revealed that Young was struggling with an undisclosed ailment. A press release said the illness was the reason he was unable to return.

"Unfortunately, due to the nature of Malcolm's condition, he will not be returning to the band," the statement said. "AC/DC will undertake a world tour in support of 'Rock or Bust' in 2015. Stevie Young, nephew of founding members Angus and Malcolm Young, plays rhythm guitar on 'Rock or Bust' and will accompany the band on tour."

The band hasn't disclosed the nature of Malcolm Young's illness, but one musician told an Australian radio station in April that the situation was "serious."

Mark Gable told Australia's ABC Radio that Young "is sick. ... It's not just that he is unwell, it's that it is quite serious." Gable's remarks were reported at the time in The Sydney Morning Herald.

In July, lead singer Brian Johnson told Classic Rock magazine that Young was in the hospital.

"We miss Malcolm obviously. He's a fighter. He's in hospital but he's a fighter. We've got our fingers crossed that he'll get strong again," Johnson told the magazine.

AC/DC is one of the biggest-selling bands in music history with more than 70 million albums sold in the U.S. alone, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

Hal-9000
09-29-2014, 05:59 PM
mean looking guy on the left? :-s

PorkChopSandwiches
09-29-2014, 08:14 PM
AC/DC’s Malcolm Young being treated for dementia

AC/DC’s Malcolm Young is reportedly in a full-time care facility in Sydney following a dementia diagnosis.

The guitarist and founding member announced Wednesday his retirement from the band, and said he will not be joining them in the studio for the band’s next album, “Rock Or Bust,” due Dec. 1, according to the Washington Post.

“If you were in the room with (Malcolm Young) and walked out, then came back in one minute later, he wouldn’t remember who you are,” a close family source told the Sydney Harold. “He has a complete loss of short-term memory. His wife, Linda, has put him in full-time care.”

Young, 61, reportedly had a stroke earlier this year, leaving a blood clot in his brain, according to music blogger Daryl Mason.

The remaining members of the band, frontman Brian Johnson, drummer Phil Rudd and Young’s brother, Angus Young, have no plans to cancel a world tour in 2015.

DemonGeminiX
09-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Damn.

Hal-9000
09-29-2014, 10:43 PM
My Mom asks me every single night - Do you have a car? ..And...Are you taking me home tomorrow?

she's lived in that house for 52 years...and she thinks my Dad is 'just a friend, he's not my husband!!!'

Dementia/Alzheimers is so much more than short term memory loss. It's a horrible fucking disease and I hate it :|

Noilly Pratt
09-29-2014, 10:52 PM
:shock: :( This is a fear of mine...but I guess for the person experiencing it, they might not know the full impact. His poor family...

Noilly Pratt
09-29-2014, 11:01 PM
My Mom asks me every single night - Do you have a car? ..And...Are you taking me home tomorrow?

she's lived in that house for 52 years...and she thinks my Dad is 'just a friend, he's not my husband!!!'

Dementia/Alzheimers is so much more than short term memory loss. It's a horrible fucking disease and I hate it :|

My Mum didn't have dementia, per se, but had lung cancer that metastasised to her brain. So really she "went" about a month before her body caught up. Some of the conversations were bizarre to say the least.

It is a tough thing to witness. So my thoughts go out to you, Hal and anyone who has to go through this.

DemonGeminiX
09-30-2014, 01:06 AM
As you all may know, my father passed away 6 years ago. He had a very aggressive form of dementia. I can't imagine what it was like for him to lose himself, but for my mom and me, it was hell to watch a very strong and resolute man reduced to a fragile and frightened shell of what he used to be... from being terrified of shadows at night, to forgetting that he ever had children, let alone what their names were.

Dementia is a terrible disease and I feel for everyone that is touched by it.

Hal-9000
09-30-2014, 01:25 AM
As you all may know, my father passed away 6 years ago. He had a very aggressive form of dementia. I can't imagine what it was like for him to lose himself, but for my mom and me, it was hell to watch a very strong and resolute man reduced to a fragile and frightened shell of what he used to be... from being terrified of shadows at night, to forgetting that he ever had children, let alone what their names were.

Dementia is a terrible disease and I feel for everyone that is touched by it.

I feel that DGX...my Mom came out of the shower one day years back and was panicking because she didn't know how to turn it on or off...we have the type that turns only one way/one control knob. I should have known then something was up.

Like Noilly mentioned, my Mom got diagnosed with emphysema, put on 24 hour oxygen right at the same time her dementia really started getting bad...lack of oxygen to the brain = correlation to dementia? The doctor I spoke to said no...I'm not so sure there isn't a closer physical relationship there.

Sorry to hear about your Pa DGX....my Mom has an aggressive form that turns into anger nightly...and she's completely forgotten who my Dad is, yet he spends 24/7 with her...my Dad and I aren't ready to put her in a home yet...because we're stubborn and feel that we can provide care....it's really taking a toll on him though. If we do elect for full time care he will have to sell his house and that's not something he's ready to do...

I went to the store tonight and got a b-day card for him, from her, and a little gift for tomorrow. She just finished telling me in no uncertain terms 'that guy upstairs' is NOT her husband. So I forged the fucking card in her writing :( Apparently there can be a phase when the patients start hitting along with the anger....that's probably the day my Pa says enough.

Muddy
09-30-2014, 01:55 AM
This is sad, but really if you aren't Angus or Brian the band will play on..

DemonGeminiX
09-30-2014, 02:16 AM
I feel that DGX...my Mom came out of the shower one day years back and was panicking because she didn't know how to turn it on or off...we have the type that turns only one way/one control knob. I should have known then something was up.

Like Noilly mentioned, my Mom got diagnosed with emphysema, put on 24 hour oxygen right at the same time her dementia really started getting bad...lack of oxygen to the brain = correlation to dementia? The doctor I spoke to said no...I'm not so sure there isn't a closer physical relationship there.

Sorry to hear about your Pa DGX....my Mom has an aggressive form that turns into anger nightly...and she's completely forgotten who my Dad is, yet he spends 24/7 with her...my Dad and I aren't ready to put her in a home yet...because we're stubborn and feel that we can provide care....it's really taking a toll on him though. If we do elect for full time care he will have to sell his house and that's not something he's ready to do...

I went to the store tonight and got a b-day card for him, from her, and a little gift for tomorrow. She just finished telling me in no uncertain terms 'that guy upstairs' is NOT her husband. So I forged the fucking card in her writing :( Apparently there can be a phase when the patients start hitting along with the anger....that's probably the day my Pa says enough.

My Dad got violent a few times. Always with me. He thought I was some kind of thief/intruder and he took a few swings. Most of the time, it was easy to dodge, he was slower. I wasn't paying attention one morning, too damn tired, and he clocked me in the back of the head when I wasn't looking, screaming, "Get out of here!". This was during the earlier periods when he would fade in and out of recognition and forgetfulness. Fucker was strong. After turning around and going, "What the hell, Dad? Jeez!", a flicker of recognition crossed his face. He didn't stop apologizing and saying "Please don't tell your mother! Please!" for the next 3 hours. I never told Mom.

I had a headache for the rest of the day.

Hal-9000
09-30-2014, 02:23 AM
this is a little unrelated but will lighten the mood

back when my Mom was my Mom I mouthed off to her and she started swinging, trying to slap my face....I was doing the Neo bending back and down thing (before it was fashionable), each time she tried to slap me...

I started laughing so hard that she started laughing and she said - Hold still you little son of a bitch, this isn't supposed to be funny :lol: :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-30-2014, 02:29 AM
:lol:

Mom had a thing for spatulas, until my brother and I started laughing at her. That's when she started throwing shit at us. If she was on the phone (back when they were still corded, mind you), we'd get just out of reach and bug the shit out of her and she'd throw the handset at us. It'd just miss and she'd curse at us while explaining to the person on the other end what just went down..

Hal-9000
09-30-2014, 02:35 AM

My parents rarely hit us other than spanking our bottoms with ye ol wooden spoon....when my ma tried to slap my face I deserved much much worse...

ffs I can hear my sister nodding her bloody head behind me...STOP IT YOU COW :lol: