PDA

View Full Version : The Ray Rice video for the financial sector has arrived

FBD
09-26-2014, 05:06 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-26/how-goldman-controls-new-york-fed-475-hours-secret-goldman-sachs-tapes-explain

"once clients are wealthy enough certain consumer laws don't apply to them."
"You didn't hear that."

So she went to the Spy Store and bought a tiny tape recorder, then began to record her meetings at Goldman Sachs, until she was fired.

(How Segarra got herself fired by the Fed is interesting. In 2012, Goldman was rebuked by a Delaware judge for its behavior during a corporate acquisition. Goldman had advised one energy company, El Paso Corp., as it sold itself to another energy company, Kinder Morgan, in which Goldman actually owned a $4 billion stake, and a Goldman banker had a big personal investment. The incident forced the Fed to ask Goldman to see its conflict of interest policy. It turned out that Goldman had no conflict of interest policy -- but when Segarra insisted on saying as much in her report, her bosses tried to get her to change her report. Under pressure, she finally agreed to change the language in her report, but she couldn't resist telling her boss that she wouldn't be changing her mind. Shortly after that encounter, she was fired.)

I don't want to spoil the revelations of "This American Life": It's far better to hear the actual sounds on the radio, as so much of the meaning of the piece is in the tones of the voices -- and, especially, in the breathtaking wussiness of the people at the Fed charged with regulating Goldman Sachs. But once you have listened to it -- as when you were faced with the newly unignorable truth of what actually happened to that NFL running back's fiancee in that elevator -- consider the following:

1. You sort of knew that the regulators were more or less controlled by the banks. Now you know.

2. The only reason you know is that one woman, Carmen Segarra, has been brave enough to fight the system. She has paid a great price to inform us all of the obvious. She has lost her job, undermined her career, and will no doubt also endure a lifetime of lawsuits and slander.

The full ProPublica story
http://www.propublica.org/article/carmen-segarras-secret-recordings-from-inside-new-york-fed?utm_source=et&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/536/the-secret-recordings-of-carmen-segarra?utm_source=et&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter

perrhaps
09-26-2014, 06:07 PM
I hope you don't mind, but I'll pass. I spend too much time as it is, hiding under my bed, tinfoil hat at the ready.

FBD
09-26-2014, 08:09 PM
haha...no, this is straight up bits of recording from fed & goldman meetings, put into a radio show where a guy is interviewing the whistleblower.

all of these "regulators" were basically intimidated by their fed bosses to be completely acquiescent to whatever goldman (or jpm, whomever) wanted to do and perchance something blatantly illegal came up in conversation, please apologize for having noticed it, because you didnt hear what you think you heard.

"you heard that right - Goldman's executive in charge of conflicts of interest just admitted the company does not even have a definition of what a conflict of interest is in their company policy"