PDA

View Full Version : Proud of your heritage?

Goofy
09-27-2014, 05:28 PM
RBP's thread "What does it mean to be American? The American dream?" got me thinking, is everyone proud of their heritage? Do you love your country?

I was born in Scotland and i've lived my entire life in Scotland....... and i simply couldn't imagine being from anywhere else. I'm an extremely proud Scotsman, i love my country and it's traditions. When i hear the bagpipes it makes me emotional, almost (and on certain occasions actually has) makes me cry. I love seeing loads of my fellow countrymen in full highland regalia (kilt, sporran etc) and i love being a part of that. When i go abroad on holiday and anyone asks where i'm from i love telling them i'm from Scotland, not the UK or GB!

Signed, a proud Scotsman.

Anyone else?

Goofy
09-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Oh, and i fuckin' love haggis :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Haggis :lol:

I'm proud to be an American, I love our traditions, and I'm proud and very supportive of the US military... however I think our politicians are all fuckin' crooks. But I couldn't imagine living in another country and giving up the rights that previous generations fought so hard to win and preserve.

Hal-9000
09-27-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm very proud to be a Canadian :thumbsup:

Unfortunately most of the reasons why, I can't list........:lol:

Griffin
09-27-2014, 07:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nF6_ngh9WY

redred
09-27-2014, 07:15 PM
It why I drink cider :tup:

DemonGeminiX
09-27-2014, 08:02 PM
It why I drink cider :tup:

:-k

I didn't realize alcoholism was considered a heritage.

:nana: :dance:

Pony
09-27-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm proud to be an American, I love our traditions, and I'm proud and very supportive of the US military... however I think our politicians are all fuckin' crooks. But I couldn't imagine living in another country and giving up the rights that previous generations fought so hard to win and preserve.

Same here. But we soon won't have to leave the country to lose all the rights and freedoms that were fought so hard for.

HyperV12
09-27-2014, 08:21 PM
RBP's thread "What does it mean to be American? The American dream?" got me thinking, is everyone proud of their heritage? Do you love your country?

I was born in Scotland and i've lived my entire life in Scotland....... and i simply couldn't imagine being from anywhere else. I'm an extremely proud Scotsman, i love my country and it's traditions. When i hear the bagpipes it makes me emotional, almost (and on certain occasions actually has) makes me cry. I love seeing loads of my fellow countrymen in full highland regalia (kilt, sporran etc) and i love being a part of that. When i go abroad on holiday and anyone asks where i'm from i love telling them i'm from Scotland, not the UK or GB!

Signed, a proud Scotsman.

Anyone else?

Oh, and i fuckin' love haggis :lol:
In spite of our differences over the recent vote result, I couldn't agree more with you on this! The hair on my arms and neck stand up every time I hear the pipes and if the massed pipes and drums then just pass me the Kleenex cos I'm done!
As regards Haggis, anyone who says they don't like it has never had proper clockwise haggis prepared in the traditional highland manner, over an open fire. It's the manna of the Gods!!!

redred
09-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Can't be a good haggis

HyperV12
09-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Can't be a good haggis

No such thing as a bad haggis Laddie!

redred
09-27-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm sure there is :lol:

HyperV12
09-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Actually you're right, I saw a vegetarian haggis in Waitrose last weekend!! :puke:

redred
09-27-2014, 09:02 PM
:facepalm:

Muddy
09-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Im proud of my heritage here and back into Europe where my bloodlines run from.

Loser
09-28-2014, 05:03 AM
I love my country and the military that protects it.

I hate my government and what it's done to it.

Noilly Pratt
09-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Started life in a small Ontario town in "cottage country". As a kid (age 5-6) my parents and I traveled the country in a station wagon with a 18' trailer in tow and I remember a lot of it. Had a harsh winter in Winnipeg, a boiling summer in Alberta and another harsh winter in Northern Saskatchewan (48 below!) before we ran out of country!

You have to go away to appreciate what you have...I lived where Hal lives for a very short time in winter...and I lived in the UK for a bit -- loved it and found out a few missing puzzle pieces...as to why I didn't feel fully Canadian.

With 2 British parents, a lot of me is English and I embrace it and am glad my parents instilled me a pride of my heritage. I'm glad I lived there, and a part of me is very at home there. But it made me realize I like Canada just a little more.

As for the UK I was there for 2 months - I did the whole job interview, looking at accomodations --- was almost finalizing things but I felt something pull me back.

Good thing, too. I wouldn't have met my wife or had this life we've crafted.