PDA

View Full Version : Couple leaves $100 tip for horrible service

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2014, 11:44 AM
WLKY-TV

http://i.imgur.com/APCmBP0.jpg

An Iowa couple's kind gesture is going viral.

Makenzie Schultz posted to Facebook over the weekend about the bad service she and her husband experienced at a restaurant.

"Took 20 minutes to get water, 40 minutes for an appetizer and over an hour for our entrée. People all around us were making fun of the restaurant and how bad the service was," she wrote.

But the server was juggling 12 tables plus the bar on an obviously short-staffed night.

"I said to Steven, wow, this used to be us. Waiting tables. I don't miss it at all and I never loved that job. I did it for the tips. Steven and I agreed it would feel good to make this guy's night when he would probably be getting minimal to no tips due to slow service," Schultz wrote.

Schultz posted a photo of their receipt from the night, with a $100 tip and a note about "paying it forward." They left before their server could notice.

Since Saturday, the post has gotten more than 1.2 million likes on Facebook.

FBD
09-30-2014, 06:13 PM
http://3goals3years.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/make-it-rain-1jk6.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
09-30-2014, 06:15 PM
IDK, I dont really subscribe to the idea of bonusing bad behavior/service. But, in this scenario it sounds like server could do no more. Even still, Im not paying 100 on 60

Hal-9000
09-30-2014, 06:21 PM
I still have a problem with the implied 15% when service is bad...

I don't really care that someone chose to be a waitress or server and only gets paid 5/hr and lives on tips....find a different job

PorkChopSandwiches
09-30-2014, 06:26 PM
I still have a problem with the implied 15% when service is bad...

I don't really care that someone chose to be a waitress or server and only gets paid 5/hr and lives on tips....find a different job

I start at 20, if they do the job I give the 20. If they suck, I start deducting. If they finish and Im at 10% they get 10%. If they are amazing, I have given 25 or 30%

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2014, 06:29 PM
I start at 20, if they do the job I give the 20. If they suck, I start deducting. If they finish and Im at 10% they get 10%. If they are amazing, I have given 25 or 30%

We've been out drinking before and left 50 or 60 or 70 percent before...depending on how hammered we were and how hot the waitress was :lol:

FBD
09-30-2014, 06:30 PM
When I see someone overworked like this, I will usually tip them higher even if its a case where I had bad service. But then I will also tell the mgmt to get their shit in order, but I aint going to punish the waiter that's already being punished. I certainly dont leave preposterous tips like this, though...but I would if I had a shit ton of money , must be nice, right?

When the service is shitty and its just a shitty waiter, fuck that, I will leave them nothing if they piss me off badly enough.

But when I get excellent service, always 20% or more, of course hotness factors into that :shifty:

Hal-9000
09-30-2014, 06:38 PM
I give 10% because math isn't my strong suit

:lol: j/k...depends on the bill, the service, who I'm with and how much dough I have to throw that day....

PorkChopSandwiches
09-30-2014, 06:48 PM
I give 10% because math isn't my strong suit

:lol: j/k...depends on the bill, the service, who I'm with and how much dough I have to throw that day....

If you cant afford to tip, then you cant afford to go out. Its part of their pay, they even get taxed on the possibility (not the reality of their tips) out here

Hal-9000
09-30-2014, 06:56 PM
If you cant afford to tip, then you cant afford to go out. Its part of their pay, they even get taxed on the possibility (not the reality of their tips) out here

oh so much disagreement here :lol: ....price on menu for every item has a built in profit..even a glass of milk. The prices are plainly listed....if the person bringing it to me delivers bad service, there is nothing in our laws (my laws) that says I have to tip even one cent over the bill......of course I give 15% when out at a nice place...

but by your logic, when I go to a drive thru should I feel indebted to pay a gratuity because the worker is being paid poorly, but gave me fast accurate service?
No, because that's part of their job and it should happen regardless.

Hal-9000
09-30-2014, 06:58 PM
*when I say nice place I mean somewhere upscale like Arbys or Wendys, not Mickey D's

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Fast food workers in this country (USA) get paid minimum wage. Service employees (like waiters and waitresses) can be paid far below minimum wage and the balance of their income is based on tips.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-30-2014, 07:04 PM
oh so much disagreement here :lol: ....price on menu for every item has a built in profit..even a glass of milk. The prices are plainly listed....if the person bringing it to me delivers bad service, there is nothing in our laws (my laws) that says I have to tip even one cent over the bill......of course I give 15% when out at a nice place...

but by your logic, when I go to a drive thru should I feel indebted to pay a gratuity because the worker is being paid poorly, but gave me fast accurate service?
No, because that's part of their job and it should happen regardless.

I'll clarify by saying service, being you sit at a table order with a server and they bring you the food. If you have to do any part of that like order at a counter or pick your food up when a number is called then no. But the worker at McDonalds isnt expected to get a tip, while a server is.

We all know the food has a built in profit, we also all know the server is paid shit, and working for tips

You probably dont even tip the whore at the strip club when he swings his dong in your face

FBD
09-30-2014, 07:06 PM
min wage for waiting....well....last I recall working in food service, min wage was 5ish and min for the waitresses was $3.25 an hour. the excuse, you get tips, so we dont have to pay you as much.