PDA

View Full Version : Two Men Broke Into Home, Tortured Son; Family Sues Comcast Over Failed Security System

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2014, 01:33 PM
By Lina Batarags - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/01kRCFU.jpg

A family is suing Comcast on the grounds that their security system didn’t provide the promised services during a home invasion last year.

Leena Rawat and her family had just moved into their Kirkland home in September 2013. They purchased their Comcast security system immediately afterwards.

“And he check marked that this home is certified to be intruder proof,” Rawat said of the security system.

One month later, two men—who police say were on a thrill mission to kill—broke into the Rawats’ basement window and ripped their 18-year-old son from his bed.

The two men proceeded to torture the teenager, trying to cut off his arm and leg.

“He was full of blood from head to toe, with gashes,” Rawat said. “He was in the worst situation possible that a mother wants to see her child in.”

WUSA9 reports that no one, including his doctor, was sure if Deep Rawat would survive the attack.

“I just say God was there that night,” his mother said of Deep, who did survive.

Now, nearly a year after the incident, Rawat says the security system failed them.

The family has filed a lawsuit against Comcast and their contractor, Pioneer Cable, in which they argue that they’d been promised a “secure network,” under which the basement motion detector would be active in both “stay” and “away” functions.

Rawat says that it was for this very reason that the company saw no need to arm the basement window.

“I actually stood right in front of that window and I have a clear picture in my head where I said, ‘Why don’t you have sensors on this window?’” she recalls.

Rawat has said that the basement motion detector was off. In their contract, however, Comcast waives all liability.

“If their argument is to be accepted, they could put in empty black boxes throughout the house and say, ‘That’s your system.’ And then something goes wrong, and they say, ‘We never promised you it would work,’” said attorney Ken Friedman.

Comcast’s lawyers have issued a statement in which they extended their sympathies to the Rawat family. In it, however, they also state that “after a review of our records, we are confident that our home security system functioned properly.”