PDA

View Full Version : Second U.S. Ebola Case Under Investigation In Dallas

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2014, 01:35 PM
By Kathryn Schroeder - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/19o8Kpw.jpg

The possibility of a second Ebola patient in the United States is being investigated.

The patient had close contact with the first person to be diagnosed in the U.S., said Zachary Thompson, director of Dallas County Health and Human Services.

"Let me be real frank to the Dallas County residents: The fact that we have one confirmed case, there may be another case that is a close associate with this particular patient," Thompson said. "So this is real. There should be a concern, but it's contained to the specific family members and close friends at this moment."

Thompson reassured residents that there is no public risk because health officials have the virus contained.

The first confirmed case of the Ebola virus in the United States occurred September 30, according to a statement from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"I have no doubt that we'll stop this in its tracks in the U.S.," CDC Director Tom Frieden said. "But I also have no doubt that — as long as the outbreak continues in Africa — we need to be on our guard."

The patient arrived from Liberia to Dallas on September 20. On September 26 he sought medical treatment at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas for an illness and was sent home with antibiotics, reports WFAA. Two days later his illness had become worse, and he required an ambulance to return to the hospital.

The diagnosed man is currently in serious condition.

Thompson said that all those who have been in close contact with the diagnosed man are being monitored as a precaution, reports USA Today.

They include children, as the diagnosed patient had contact with several before being hospitalized. Each child has been kept home and is being monitored as a precaution.

The Dallas County school district is working with health officials.

"DISD is in contact with Dallas County Health Department regarding the Ebola investigation," read a statement from Jon Dahlander, a spokesman with the district. "They are consulting with the County on any additional action that may need to be taken during the course of investigation. This is part of routine emergency operations during a health incident in the county. This is same protocol taken during things like flu and Tuberculosis cases."

The CDC and Dallas County are calling the monitoring a “contact investigation.”

Any person who has had contact with the infected patient, including emergency room staff, will be under observation by health officials for 21 days. If during this time they show symptoms, they will be placed in isolation.

The Liberian Community Association of Dallas-Fort Worth has been urging their 10,000+ Liberian population in North Texas to avoid social gatherings. They have doubts over whether the CDC can contain the virus after witnessing what it has done to their country.

RBP
10-03-2014, 01:37 PM
:hills:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2014, 02:52 PM
"I have no doubt that we'll stop this in its tracks in the U.S.," CDC Director Tom Frieden said.

http://i.imgur.com/DlDP0m4.gif

KevinD
10-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Just heard on a radio show that there is a confirmed Ebola victim in DC

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Agence France Presse

Washington (AFP) - A patient with symptoms that could be associated with the deadly Ebola virus and a recent travel history to Nigeria was admitted Friday to a Washington-area hospital, a spokeswoman told AFP.

"We can confirm that a patient ​has been admitted to Howard University Hospital in stable condition, following travel to Nigeria and presenting with symptoms that could be associated with Ebola," said Howard University spokeswoman Kerry-Ann Hamilton.

"In an abundance of caution, we have activated the appropriate infection control protocols, including isolating the patient."

No further details were released about the patient.

Symptoms of Ebola can include fever, aches and pains, vomiting and diarrhea.

The virus is spread through close contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person.

The first diagnosed case of Ebola in the United States was announced on Tuesday, after a man from Liberia who had traveled to Texas fell ill days after he arrived.

Nigeria is one of five West African nations that have battled Ebola this year, but has had fewer than two dozen cases and as many as eight deaths linked to the arrival of a sick airline passenger from Liberia, far less than the thousands of infections in neighboring countries.

Nigeria's president declared the nation Ebola-free at a UN meeting late last month.

US and global health authorities have said Nigeria was near to being able to announce an end to the outbreak there, which can only be established once 42 days have passed since the last infection.

More than 3,300 people have died across Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea, Nigeria and Senegal already this year, in the world's largest outbreak of Ebola in history.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-03-2014, 06:38 PM
:hills:

Pony
10-04-2014, 01:09 PM
:zombie:

RBP
10-04-2014, 01:14 PM
I still can't figure out the transmission. It's bodily fluids. It's not airborne.

I can only conclude that I am unaware of the colloquial greeting of pissing on each other.

RBP
10-04-2014, 01:50 PM
(CNN) -- Yes, Ebola is a scary infectious disease. But the first thing you should know is that it's not very contagious -- the virus isn't spread through the air via coughs or sneezes like the common cold. It's spread through frequent contact with bodily fluids and can be spread only by someone who is showing symptoms.

So if they're not feeling sick ...

Many viruses can hide in the body and spread from person to person without causing any symptoms in the people it infects. Ebola isn't like that.

"Ebola doesn't spread before someone gets sick," Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Tuesday. "Ebola does not spread ... from someone who doesn't have fever and other symptoms."

Symptoms generally occur abruptly eight to 10 days after infection, though that period can range from two to 21 days.

As people with the Ebola virus become sicker, they become more infectious, experts say. The virus can also spread through bodily fluids after the patient dies.

And by 'bodily fluids,' you mean?

Blood, sweat, feces, vomit, semen and spit. Basically any kind of fluid that comes from the body. People in West Africa are avoiding hugs and handshakes because the virus can be spread through the sweat on someone's hand.

The uninfected person would have to have a break in the skin of their hand that would allow entry of the virus, CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta says. But "we all have minor breaks in our skin. And there is a possibility that some of the virus can be transmitted that way."

Health care providers -- or family and friends -- caring for Ebola patients are often at the highest risk of getting sick because they are most likely to come in contact with the body fluids of sick patients, according to the CDC. People with Ebola suffer from extreme vomiting, diarrhea and high fevers, which causes sweating. In the later stages, they may start bleeding from their eyes, mouth or other orifices.

Bottom line?

"This is not an airborne transmission," said Dr. Marty Cetron, director of the CDC's Division of Global Migration and Quarantine. "There needs to be direct contact frequently with body fluids or blood."

Close contact

While the Ebola virus is believed to be able to survive for some days in liquid outside an infected organism, Doctors Without Borders says, agents such as chlorine, heat, direct sunlight, soaps and detergents can kill it.

While the CDC acknowledges it is possible for a person infected with Ebola in West Africa to get on a plane and arrive in another country -- which is apparently what happened in the U.S. case -- the chances of the virus spreading during the journey are low. That's unless your fellow passenger is bleeding, sweating profusely or vomiting on you, of course.

"It is highly unlikely that someone suffering such symptoms would feel well enough to travel," the International Air Transport Association said.

Travelers should take precautions by avoiding areas experiencing outbreaks and avoiding contact with Ebola patients.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-04-2014, 06:53 PM
I still can't figure out the transmission. It's bodily fluids. It's not airborne.

I can only conclude that I am unaware of the colloquial greeting of pissing on each other.

I posted the transmission from the CDC in another thread, and Im with you. It seems like it about as hard as aids to get

RBP
10-04-2014, 08:12 PM
I posted the transmission from the CDC in another thread, and Im with you. It seems like it about as hard as aids to get

I would suppose that adding sweat and saliva to the list would make it more likely than AIDS, but still. I'll try and find what you posted, but I have not heard detail as to the type of contact that has resulted in infections.

Actually the scariest thing I read was about dogs digging up the bodies, eating them, and becoming a-symptomatic carriers. :hills:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737684/Dogs-EATING-corpses-Ebola-victims-Liberia-health-teams-pile-bodies-shallow-grave-middle-night-locals-refused-permission-use-land.html

Because the virus can apparently easily travel between animal species, there is concern about the risk of contraction from infected meat.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/ebolas-deadly-jump-from-animal-to-animal-140730.htm

With the hope that no terrorists read this board, sending 10 infected radicals to travel the country would be far more terrifying than planes in buildings or a suicide vest.