PDA

View Full Version : Really, Congress? Comcast Won't Protect Net Neutrality If The Best You Can Do Is Ask Nicely

PorkChopSandwiches
10-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Here's what's happening right now on net neutrality:

The FCC is still deciding whether to completely cave and ruin the internet as we know it. Americans are pretty mad at the FCC about it. Congress is twiddling its thumbs.

The FCC's comment period is over and 3.7 million people weighed in — that means even more people are concerned about net neutrality than Super Bowl XXXVIII: Wardrobe Malfunctiongate. And, yes, America, it's totally reasonable and appropriate to be mad at the FCC. It has screwed up on net neutrality for years from cowardice and simply by using the wrong words. But Americans who want to protect net neutrality should also start being mad at Congress.

AMERICANS WHO WANT TO PROTECT NET NEUTRALITY SHOULD START BEING MAD AT CONGRESS

It's Congress that has largely turned net neutrality regulation into a partisan charade that occasionally results in threats to the FCC's budget and authority via Congress' telecommunications benefactors. The FCC's dithering on net neutrality has been enabled for years by this nonsense and it's now reflected even by the agency's bench, which seats some commissioners who have advocated stripping themselves of power to avoid going against corporate interests. Even the FCC's chairman is intimately familiar with those corporate interests; Tom Wheeler is a former telecom lobbyist and was appointed by a president who promised that lobbyists wouldn't run his administration in a distant magical time called "Before He Was Elected."

If you want a clear example of Congress' ineptitude on net neutrality, look no further than a letter sent to Comcast today by Senate Judiciary Committee Patrick Leahy (D, VT). Leahy, who is an influential supporter of net neutrality regulations and has significant power in his congressional seniority, has resorted to politely asking telecommunications monopolies not to harm the internet. If anybody thinks monopolistic entities like Comcast and other companies will voluntarily pass on easy cash they're high.

A Comcast spokeswoman told The New York Times the company is "reviewing the letter," which I have no doubt means it was laughed at and promptly recycled.

MAKE A GOOD LAW, YOU COULD USE THE PUBLICITY

The FCC was created as an "independent" agency to insulate it against the partisan games of Washington. In hindsight, that seems naive and laughable. In practice the FCC isn't independent from the whims of Congress or even from the industry it regulates. Time is running out for the FCC to save net neutrality, and it may soon be time for Congress to act.

Do your job, Congress. Make net neutrality the law of the land. You could really use a win.

FBD
10-20-2014, 08:43 PM
I accidentally typed Bongress :lol: yeah, its about that time.

Congress aint going to do shit because the strings that control congress will not move them to do something.

somethinsomethin you'll never get elected again, and all that

Muddy
12-14-2017, 06:46 PM
GONE

Muddy
12-14-2017, 07:12 PM
3 Republicans, 2 Democrats. The vote was 3 to 2 to destroy net neutrality.. :|

Not looking good for 2020.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-14-2017, 07:55 PM
This should force the issue to congress who will need to pass a law. The FCC is a joke and they shouldnt even be involved.

Hugh_Janus
12-14-2017, 08:22 PM
so is this obama's fault?

DemonGeminiX
12-14-2017, 10:43 PM
Net Neutrality didn't exist before Obama, and I don't remember it being bad, but we'll see what happens. We could always start spamming our Reps and Senators about it if goes south.

Godfather
12-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Net Neutrality didn't exist before Obama, and I don't remember it being bad, but we'll see what happens. We could always start spamming our Reps and Senators about it if goes south.

Fair enough, see how it goes, it's done now.

Up here we don't have what I'd call 'complete' net neutrality. ISP's can offer differential pricing to customers, but only in the areas of speed rates, monthly data usage etc. but not based on content. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Godfather
12-15-2017, 02:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=38&v=Fm4bkLWtwSc

Not sure the folks who petitioned find it quite as funny

DemonGeminiX
12-15-2017, 05:10 AM
They'll care soon enough. We, the people, have options. A big one comes in 2020.

lost in melb.
12-15-2017, 11:06 AM
I don't understand what this is about.