PDA

View Full Version : Former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain to run for president

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2011, 12:43 PM
By David Beasley

http://i.imgur.com/OcWCZ.jpg

ATLANTA (Reuters) – Herman Cain, a radio talk show host and former CEO of a chain of pizza parlors, announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination for president on Saturday.

"We are going to take our country back," Cain, the former president and CEO of Godfather's Pizza, told thousands of supporters at Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park.

The 65-year-old has never held political office. He made an unsuccessful bid for Senate from Georgia in 2004.

He joins a field of at least six Republicans who have entered or are seriously considering the race for their party's nomination to challenge Democratic President Barack Obama in elections next year.

Though rated by most analysts as a longshot contender, Cain drew positive reviews for his performance at the first presidential debate in South Carolina earlier this month. His early involvement in the Tea Party movement could prove a strength.

At his announcement rally, Cain called for government spending cuts, lower taxes and energy independence, and for empowering states to help fight illegal immigration.

Under Obama, the U.S. economy has been stagnant and the number of people on food stamps has soared, Cain said.

"Hope and change ain't working," said Cain, who also criticized the president's new Middle East policy favoring a return to Israel's 1967 borders.

"You don't throw your friends under the bus," he said. "The Cain doctrine to the world would simply be, 'If you mess with Israel, you mess with the United States.'"

Cain worked as an executive at Coca-Cola, Pillsbury and Burger King before heading Godfather's Pizza. He also served as chairman, president and CEO of the National Restaurant Association.

More recently he has hosted his radio program, "The Herman Cain Show," broadcast out of Atlanta.

Joe Skender, a 60-year-old salesman from Roswell, Georgia, said he was impressed with Cain's speech and is not concerned that Cain has no experience as an elected official.

"He's smart, he knows the country. He's conservative. Little government, less spending, help businesses not hurt businesses," Skender said.

Added Skender's wife, Linda, "He doesn't owe anybody."

AntZ
05-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I loved how he mentioned that he doesn't need a teleprompter, and he then delivered his entire speech ad-lib! :thumbsup:

Lets see the "community organizer" try that without 500 "uh's" and other stammers! :rolleyes:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Cain is awesome...I just hope the media will take him seriously so he can get more people exposed to his stances on everything. He's what this country needs right now.

Deepsepia
05-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Cain is awesome...I just hope the media will take him seriously so he can get more people exposed to his stances on everything. He's what this country needs right now.

Doesn't really need "the media" -- Ron Paul made his way with enthusiastic supporters. Build enough enthusiasm and folks will notice.

Cain is a really interesting guy, an extremely engaging and effective speaker. I could see his supporters getting enthusiastic and pushing him very hard.

I personally like the fact that he's actually run something, though I can't say I thought a lot of Godfather's Pizza (not that I hold him responsible for pizza).

It would also be fascinating (and completely unexpected) for the US parties both to have black candidates -- with very different political views. Really incredible idea when you think about it . . .

I'd peg him as a very good vice presidential choice for Mitt romney, who needs someone who can get conservatives excited on his ticket.

DemonGeminiX
05-22-2011, 02:15 PM
... I can't say I thought a lot of Godfather's Pizza (not that I hold him responsible for pizza).

I do. That pizza was horrid.

:puke:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't think I've lived anywhere that Godfather's pizza was available :-k

FBD
05-22-2011, 04:20 PM
:lol: the matter of the pizza is utterly inconsequential - look at what the company did under his leadership ;)

DemonGeminiX
05-22-2011, 05:03 PM
:lol: the matter of the pizza is utterly inconsequential - look at what the company did under his leadership ;)

:hand:

Shitty pizza is an unforgiveable offense against the human race.

FBD
05-22-2011, 05:22 PM
So is trying to fundamentally change a republic that you belong to, but who's counting? :razz:

DemonGeminiX
05-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Pizza is far more important.

[-(

AntZ
05-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Cain is on FNS right now getting grilled, he is sharp as a tack and answering all the questions clearly and with authority!

No teleprompter in sight too!

DemonGeminiX
05-22-2011, 06:25 PM
I bet there's no pepperoni around either.

[-(

Acid Trip
05-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I personally like the fact that he's actually run something, though I can't say I thought a lot of Godfather's Pizza (not that I hold him responsible for pizza).

You don't hold the CEO responsible for the quality of product his company produces? That's like saying the iPhone4 is shit but Steve Job isn't to blame. If the person at the top isn't responsible then who is?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2011, 12:44 PM
You don't hold the CEO responsible for the quality of product his company produces? That's like saying the iPhone4 is shit but Steve Job isn't to blame. If the person at the top isn't responsible then who is?

The guy who made the recipe for the pizza ;)

Just as I wouldn't want the chef dictating how the company should be run, I wouldn't want the CEO in the kitchen making pizza.