View Full Version : NATO reports 'large scale' Russian air activity in European airspace

Teh One Who Knocks
10-30-2014, 10:46 AM
By Bryan McManus - Agence France Presse

http://i.imgur.com/fNVnbSu.jpg

Brussels (AFP) - NATO said Wednesday it had tracked and intercepted four groups of Russian warplanes "conducting significant military manoeuvres" in European airspace over the past two days.

"These sizeable Russian flights represent an unusual level of air activity over European airspace," NATO said.

The planes, which included strategic bombers, fighters and tanker aircraft, were detected over the Baltic Sea, North Sea/Atlantic Ocean and the Black Sea on Tuesday and Wednesday, it said.

NATO allies sent up aircraft to intercept and identify the Russian planes which were continually tracked on the ground as well, it said in a report from its SHAPE military headquarters in Mons, western Belgium.

The report made no mention of the Ukraine crisis nor linked the increased activity to it.

However, Russia's intervention in Ukraine, which NATO has said constitutes the most serious threat to US-Europe security since the Cold War, has sent tensions soaring.

NATO's eastern members, many of them such as Poland and the Baltic states once ruled from Moscow, have been particularly nervous and the US-led alliance has put in place additional aircraft and personnel on a rotating basis to reassure them.

At a summit last month, the 28 NATO leaders agreed the alliance would have to step up its readiness levels in response.

Russia's intervention and the speed with which it was able to bring military pressure to bear on Kiev in support of pro-Moscow rebels in the east surprised many and badly rattled countries on NATO's eastern flank.

- Sharp increase in NATO intercepts -

In a breakdown of the incidents, NATO said that in the early hours Wednesday, eight Russian aircraft -- four TU-95 strategic bombers, capable of carrying nuclear weapons, and four tankers -- were detected over the North Sea, flying in international airspace.

Four Norwegian F-16 fighters were sent up to intercept them.

Six of the aircraft then turned back towards Russia while two TU-95s continued over the North Sea, with British Typhoon fighters called in.

The two planes then flew down into the Atlantic, where Portuguese F-16s picked them up.

The two bombers subsequently turned around, flying west of Britain, apparently heading back to Russia, it said.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday afternoon, a mixed force of at least seven Russian warplanes were intercepted over the Baltic Sea, while another two TU-95s and two Su-27 Flanker fighters were intercepted by Turkish fighters over the Black Sea.

On Tuesday, another seven Russian planes flew over the Gulf of Finland and Baltic Sea where they were intercepted by German Typhoon fighters, deployed as part of NATO's support efforts for its eastern allies.

In this case, the Russian aircraft had filed a flight plan with air traffic control authorities, were using transponders, but did not maintain radio contact with civilian air traffic control.

Unannounced flights "pose a potential risk to civil aviation... (as) civilian air traffic control cannot detect these aircraft nor ensure there is no interference with civilian air traffic," it said.

NATO said there had been more than 100 intercepts of Russian aircraft in 2014 to date, about three times more than in 2013.

"Scrambles and intercepts are standard procedure when an unknown aircraft approaches NATO airspace," it said.

FBD
10-30-2014, 11:52 AM
:hand: and fuck NATO too

DemonGeminiX
10-30-2014, 12:00 PM
:hand:

Fuck Russia.

amex
10-30-2014, 12:12 PM
huh....so its not Baltic States only!? :shock:
arhhhhh... russians are everywhere :hand:

Typical ....they emigrate to some country live there for a few years dont learn language do not integrate and then they say .......help us, big russia they discriminate us...and yeah BTW this is our country NOW
:banghead::meh:

FBD
10-30-2014, 12:35 PM
and fuck Poland for being the bunch of idiot lackeys they are.

Muddy
10-30-2014, 12:40 PM
What the fuck is Russia doing? Looking to pull a Germany?

FBD
10-30-2014, 12:50 PM
:lol: no, they are saying, "look what you are doing on our doorstep"

Muddy
10-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Meaning?

DemonGeminiX
10-30-2014, 01:26 PM
FBD is a Russian sleeper agent. He sides with Russia over these matters.

FBD
10-30-2014, 01:40 PM
:lol: I call balls and strikes on these matters and am not too "proud of my country" so as to disregard my principles when the News™ tells me some fantastic story that I would have to be a complete idiot to believe. When I see my leaders break treaties, coup governments, enable and assist financial fraud, violate any number of constitutional protections that the people supposedly have as a guarantee as part of being a citizen of this country - I will fkn call them out on it.

That some people think I'm just "supporting russia" is just reflective of the level of media programming they've undergone. I know its not exactly nice to point that out, but then again, "its not exactly nice to admit to the world that your country's government is a net force of evil at this stage of the game" either :shrug:

DemonGeminiX
10-30-2014, 01:44 PM
:hand:

You're a commie.

FBD
10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
if I'm a commie, then you're a mindless sheep, and we both know neither's the case ;)

FBD
10-30-2014, 01:53 PM
As we noted previously, the main reason why Q3 GDP surprised to the upside was thanks to yet another accounting gimmick, where it wasn't the US consumer leading to US growth, as has historically been the case, but because the government stepped up, and boosted GDP by the most since Q2 2009.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2014/10/Q3%20Government%20Spending.jpg

da chedda

amex
10-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Here is the flight path of the Russian TU-95s down along the Irish coast this week :shock:

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh512/Amex68/B1NwyMHIgAAIju1_zps652427fa.jpg

Muddy
10-30-2014, 07:59 PM
If Scotland had left the Kingdom and Russia invaded them, would they be able to resist?

FBD
10-30-2014, 08:01 PM
I'd come up with just as plausible a hypothetical:

If all the people involved in the fraud of capturing the united states government just up and gave back everything they took...

:rofl: yeah, I'll just stop right there

Muddy
10-30-2014, 08:19 PM
You really need help, Bubba.. Go outside and take a walk or something..

FBD
10-31-2014, 12:25 PM
well hey, you want to get on with crazy never going to happen hypotheticals, I came up with one equally absurd :razz: