PDA

View Full Version : Detroit man owes $30,000 in support for child he did not father

Teh One Who Knocks
10-30-2014, 11:35 AM
BY Nicole Hensley - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://i.imgur.com/zkaueill.jpg

For the past 28 years, a Detroit man has owed child support for a child he never fathered.

Paternity tests confirm Carnell Alexander is not the father of a child born in 1987, even though paperwork initially filed for welfare assistance by his ex-girlfriend declared him the baby daddy.

“I had to turn to welfare to get assistance to take care of them and I had to put him down as the father. That was the only way I could get into the system,” the child’s unnamed mother told WXYZ-TV.

That paperwork followed Alexander for two decades, racking up more than $69,000 in child support debt. He didn't learn of the child until 1991, when a police officer called him a “deadbeat dad” during a traffic stop.

http://i.imgur.com/rxfLkaGl.jpg

“I knew I didn’t have a child, so I was blown back,” Alexander told the TV station. “I feel like I’m standing in front of a brick wall with nowhere to go.”

He could have learned of the child sooner, but a summons failed to reach Alexander. He was in jail for an unrelated charge when a process server stopped by his home with a summons. But the process server reported back that Alexander refused to sign it, according to WXYZ-TV.

The child’s mother admits “everything is my fault,” she told the TV station. “He shouldn’t have to pay it at all. I want everything to go away for him so he can get on with his life.”

The judge eventually forgave the debt owed the child’s mother, but not half of the original sum owed to the state of Michigan.

If Alexander does not payback $30,000 in welfare support the state provided, he faces legal consequences unless he fights it in court, the TV station added.

RBP
10-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Good god. No one should owe this, but if anyone has to pay, it should be her for lying to get benefits.

FBD
10-30-2014, 12:26 PM
what? fuck you! go after the dumb bitch for that, not this poor guy, wtf!

PorkChopSandwiches
10-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Good god. No one should owe this, but if anyone has to pay, it should be her for lying to get benefits.

Exactly what my wife said yesterday when we discussed this