PDA

View Full Version : The British are born to be miserable, new research finds

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Rose Troup Buchanan - The Independent

http://i.imgur.com/p3mRrQk.jpg

“The British do not expect happiness,” claimed English writer Quentin Crisp – and it appears he may have been right.

New research from the University of Warwick has indicated that Britons are genetically programmed to be grumpy.

The British, French and Americans are all predisposed to be grumpier than nations such as Denmark because they possess a “short form” version of the gene which regulates the amount of serotonin – the chemical which controls happiness – within the brain.

The Danes, who regularly top happiness surveys of nations, enjoy a longer form of the gene, while Britons and Americans, despite equally stable economies and governments, possess a shorter version resulting in a miserable attitude.

However, it could be worse: we could be French.

According to professor Andrew Oswald, who led the research looking at 131 countries, only the French had a shorter form of the gene.

Professor Oswald, who studies applied economics and quantitative social science, claimed many nations’ citizens would still be unhappy were they earning a fortune, living to a ripe old age and basking in the sunshine daily.

“Among the nations we studied, Denmark and the Netherlands appeared to have the lowest percentage of people with the short version of the serotonin gene,” he said to The Times.

He also claimed American individuals descended from Danish or Dutch immigrants were happier as a result of inheriting the longer gene.

The research, for the Economic and Social Research Council’s Festival of Social Sciences, found that genetics was the most important factor – but not the only one.

Happiness leagues generally use indicators such as educational standards, wealth, health, economic progress and job satisfaction alongside the weather, war and political stability.

DemonGeminiX
10-31-2014, 12:07 PM
That explains quite a lot.

:shifty:

deebakes
10-31-2014, 01:27 PM
:rofl:

Hugh_Janus
10-31-2014, 07:36 PM
:meh:

Goofy
10-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Well duh, we live in Britain :lol: Why d'ya think i wanted Scotland to be Independent? :lol:

redred
10-31-2014, 09:26 PM
:shrug:

Goofy
10-31-2014, 09:44 PM
:shrug:

Miserable git!

deebakes
11-01-2014, 01:18 AM
what can you brits tell me about newcastle upon tyne? i have a job opportunity there :-k

Hugh_Janus
11-01-2014, 02:21 AM
if you can understand a word they say.... I think that'll be a start :lol:

a bit nsfw.... there's a naked man at the end.... a bit of cock and balls action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWykvmc4N w4

redred
11-01-2014, 07:20 AM
what can you brits tell me about newcastle upon tyne? i have a job opportunity there :-k
Crazy city near Scotland they can drink and party hard

Goofy
11-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Geordies are more Scottish than English imho :lol: As long as you like a bevvy you'll fit in fine Dee :mrgreen:

RBP
11-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Geordies are more Scottish than English imho :lol: As long as you like a bevvy you'll fit in fine Dee :mrgreen:

:-k

http://i61.tinypic.com/5wwad3.png

RBP
11-01-2014, 11:28 AM
The British, French and Americans are all predisposed to be grumpier than nations such as Denmark because they possess a “short form” version of the gene which regulates the amount of serotonin – the chemical which controls happiness – within the brain.

The Danes, who regularly top happiness surveys of nations, enjoy a longer form of the gene, while Britons and Americans, despite equally stable economies and governments, possess a shorter version resulting in a miserable attitude.

Size queen :hand:

redred
11-01-2014, 12:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55iAwMXylo

is it nice where you live now ? it rains a lot when ever I've been to Newcastle and cold yet blokes still walk around without tops on during a night out :lol:

deebakes
11-01-2014, 02:38 PM
i live in minnesota, so we get all four seasons here :lol:

redred
11-01-2014, 04:06 PM
You'll get 1 and 1/2 in Newcastle wet and winter :lol: