PDA

View Full Version : Florida Officer Allegedly Breaks 14-Year-Olds Arm After Refusing to Give Up Her Phone

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2014, 11:32 AM
By Chad Arias - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/Gml9JxN.jpg

A Florida police officer allegedly broke the arm of a 14-year-old girl after she refused to give up her phone as evidence to the officer.

Officer Jared Nash reportedly suspected that the student had video of a recent fight that occurred on the John I. Leonard High School campus in Palm Beach County. Although the officer did not have a search warrant to confiscate the phone, according to New Times, he asked for the student to hand it over anyway.

At the time of the incident the student was on the phone with her mother. Officer Nash tried to speak with the girl, but she refused his request and continued to ignore him.

"I told her to put the phone down, but she continued to talk on it," Nash writes in the report.

The incident escalated quickly, as the girl began to back away as Officer Nash followed closely. According to the police report filled out by Nash, the girl raised her left hand to his midsection in an alleged attempt to push him away.

"When she did this I took a hold of her left arm," he writes. "She then began to twist and pull her arm around in an increased physical level trying to pull away," Nash claims. "I then tried placing her left hand behind her back to secure her in handcuffs due to her pushing me, her increasing attempts to break away from my grasp, and continuing to try hand the phone to her friend despite my orders not to."

After being taken into custody, the girl complained of arm pains. When she was examined and x-rayed, it was found that her arm was broken. The broken arm was reportedly left out of Officer Nash’s report.

The student’s father took the photos of the x-ray and gave them to the Davy V. Blog, a blog, which is dedicated to fight against alleged police brutality.

"I want him fired," the father tells Davy V.

Lt. Brady Meyers of the internal affairs department said that there is an ongoing investigation into the actions of Officer Nash regarding the force used on the 14-year-old girl. He did not comment on the incident, but when asked if Nash broke the girls arm, Meyers reportedly replied, “You saw the pictures on the Internet didn’t you?”

deebakes
11-06-2014, 02:09 PM
:fbd:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Fuck the police, he had no right what so ever

Pony
11-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Fuck the police, he had no right what so ever

She pushed him first (assault on an officer),
then twisted and pulled away (resisting arrest).

Sounds to me like she broke her own arm.

Plus what are police supposed to do when someone starts to fight them? Just give up and let them go?

MrsM
11-06-2014, 05:34 PM
She pushed him first (assault on an officer),
then twisted and pulled away (resisting arrest).

Sounds to me like she broke her own arm.

Plus what are police supposed to do when someone starts to fight them? Just give up and let them go?

I think the question is more why did the officer grab her in the first place - he wanted to get her phone. My understanding is that he (the officer) had no right to take her phone and therefore had no reason to be that close to her

I read it as he started the altercation by trying to take her phone

Goofy
11-06-2014, 06:43 PM
American's really don't like Police Officers do they? :-k

DemonGeminiX
11-06-2014, 06:50 PM
American's really don't like Police Officers do they? :-k

:dunno:

For the most part, I have no problem with them.

But like everything else, you only see the one's that are doing bad shit in the news. You don't see the other 100+ that are doing real good.

The way I read the article: The cop tried to confiscate the phone when he needs a warrant to do so, he used unnecessary force to do it, the girl suffered an injury because of the unnecessary force illegally applied... this guy should be canned and charged with assault and battery, as well as whatever charge regarding violating the girl's civil rights would apply.

Goofy
11-06-2014, 06:59 PM
I think i read it the way Pony did tbh, as soon as i read the part "The incident escalated quickly, as the girl began to back away as Officer Nash followed closely. According to the police report filled out by Nash, the girl raised her left hand to his midsection in an alleged attempt to push him away." i thought to myself 'if i was in that position and a Policeman wanted to talk to me, would i be an ignorant bastard, try to walk away and then raise my hand to him?', my answer was no. If i'm on the phone and a Policeman wants to speak to me, i hang up and co-operate because i'm not a twat and i respect the tough job that Police Officers do :)

DemonGeminiX
11-06-2014, 07:07 PM
I think i read it the way Pony did tbh, as soon as i read the part "The incident escalated quickly, as the girl began to back away as Officer Nash followed closely. According to the police report filled out by Nash, the girl raised her left hand to his midsection in an alleged attempt to push him away." i thought to myself 'if i was in that position and a Policeman wanted to talk to me, would i be an ignorant bastard, try to walk away and then raise my hand to him?', my answer was no. If i'm on the phone and a Policeman wants to speak to me, i hang up and co-operate because i'm not a twat and i respect the tough job that Police Officers do :)

If you're not in trouble yourself, you have a right to refuse to cooperate. Cops are not overlords, they're just people doing a job. Just because he tells you to do something like put the phone down, you don't have to do it. If he's placing you under arrest, that's a different story. But he wasn't placing her under arrest at the time he began to advance on her. And we he did advance, she had a right to defend herself, or her position, or however you want to call it, because he wasn't notifying her that he was placing her under arrest at the time (not that he would have had a charge to arrest her under). He went too far. He couldn't put her under arrest for anything before the whole arm raising incident. He thought she had some evidence on her phone, but he had no proof that she did, and he had no right to compel her to give it up. His actions escalated everything, she was just reacting. He's in the wrong here. It's all a matter of timing.

Loser
11-06-2014, 07:18 PM
I would be happy.

Could use an easy 5 mil from a violation of constitutional rights lawsuit.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Yup, usually I am on the side of the cops, but in the story, the cop was way overstepping his bounds. He was in the wrong and he needs to be prosecuted. And the family now will have every right to sue the police department and they will win.

Police officers are to uphold the law and in doing so, they must stay within the boundaries of the law. In this case, the cop just didn't violate a law or ordinance, he violated the Constitution.

RBP
11-07-2014, 12:08 AM
She was being a bitch, but there's no law against being an asshole (thankfully!). Could she have been more cooperative? Yes. Did she have obligation? I am not totally certain, depending on the officers approach. As a material witness to a felony, he may have been able to compel her to be questioned or be arrested. I am not sure.

But given only what the story says, yes, he clearly crossed the line.

Loser
11-07-2014, 12:41 AM
You have no obligation to talk to an officer, Period.

Remember the three golden rules to dealing with police, unless you have an attorney present, which most attorneys will tell you to STFU.

1.)"Am I free to go?" Ask that any time an officer talks to you.
2.)"I do NOT consent to a search." If at any time an officer reaches into your pockets, belonging, or car.
3.)"I'm going to remain silent until an attorney is present, do I need an attorney? May I contact MY attorney?" This frightens most officers.

Those three things, while pissing them off, makes most cops not want to deal with you.

If at any time they try bully tactics, which is often, demand that a CO, or commanding officer be brought on scene, which is your right to do so. Even if you have to dial 911 and ask a dispatcher.

Oh, and under any circumstances, DO NOT RESIST ARREST!.

Let them violate your rights, Litigation will follow.

Accept your free pay day. ;)

With all that said, Most cops are not assholes. But there are some, and the more you have to deal with them, the more chances you'll get an asshole.