PDA

View Full Version : Feminist prof: America should stop putting women in jail for anything

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Maggie Lit, Reporter - Campus Reform

http://i.imgur.com/Ry5A8jV.jpg

A feminist professor claims that America should stop putting all women in jail. For anything.

Patricia O’Brien, an assistant professor at the University of Illinois’s Jane Addam’s College of Social Work, contends that the majority of women in prison are merely non-violent, poorly educated, unemployed, and abused, according to her op-ed in The Washington Post.

“What purpose is served by subjecting the most disempowered, abused and nonviolent women to the perpetually negative environment of prisons?” asks O’Brien.

The professor argues that women are more likely than men to have children “who rely on them for support,” and that imprisonment does more harm to the individual than good for society.

“The United States is a prison nation,” wrote O’Brien. “The federal government also spends tens of billions to police, prosecute and imprison people, though research demonstrates that incarceration harms individual well-being and does not improve public safety.”

O’Brien says that instead of focusing our efforts on making prison “work” for women, the country should adhere to the British tactic of community sentences or house violent offenders in small custodial centers near their families.

“There is evidence that these approaches can work in the United States,” writes O’Brien. “Opportunities to test alternatives to prison are increasing across the states, and some have demonstrated beneficial results for the women who participated.”

Acknowledging potential critics, O’Brien reminds readers of the importance in taking such steps with a feminist perspective.

“If we think of abolition as a citizens’ effort and believe that women should be allowed to jump the queue for transport along the path of recovery and healing, there are steps that must be taken from a feminist perspective,” writes O’Brien.

“The systemic production of mass incarceration cannot be solved simply by assisting troubled and troubling individual women... Put simply, we need to stop seeing prisons as an inevitable part of life,” she explains.

The professor calls for impeding efforts to isolate women from their communities and says that these women can find their way forward if society fosters respect and support for them.

“The case for closing women’s prisons is built on the experiences of formerly incarcerated women and activists who recognize that women who are mothers and community builders can find their way forward when they respected and supported,” writes O’Brien. “It is possible to imagine a future without women’s prisons; whether it’s achievable will require a bigger shift in thinking.”

O’Brien was unable to respond to Campus Reform’s request for comment, as an automated email response indicated the professor is currently on sabbatical in another state.

RBP
11-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Courts already favor females. Equal justice under the law hasn't applied for gender in a long time.

Pony
11-11-2014, 12:51 PM
And these are the people who teach our young....

perrhaps
11-11-2014, 01:29 PM
(“What purpose is served by subjecting the most disempowered, abused and nonviolent women to the perpetually negative environment of prisons?” asks O’Brien.)

I dunno. Maybe to teach them a lesson?

RBP
11-11-2014, 03:05 PM
(“What purpose is served by subjecting the most disempowered, abused and nonviolent women to the perpetually negative environment of prisons?” asks O’Brien.)

I dunno. Maybe to teach them a lesson?

:nono: It takes a village....

PorkChopSandwiches
11-11-2014, 03:46 PM
The professor argues that women are more likely than men to have children “who rely on them for support,” and that imprisonment does more harm to the individual than good for society.

We need to release all the fathers too, Im sure if not imprisoned they would be productive members of society putting food on the table.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-11-2014, 03:47 PM
On a side note, take women out of this story and I do feel we keep/put WAY too many people in jail. We incarcerate more per capita that any other country in the world.

RBP
11-11-2014, 03:56 PM
We need to release all the fathers too, Im sure if not imprisoned they would be productive members of society putting food on the table.

Yes, just like drug dealers would be if it weren't for those damn drug laws.

On a side note, take women out of this story and I do feel we keep/put WAY too many people in jail. We incarcerate more per capita that any other country in the world.

If you have an answer I am all ears - and no it's not drugs and no it's not privatization. The numbers don't add up on those two. However, I still think the mental health debacle is a major part of this.

Consider this. Illinois cut it's public mental health budget by $135 million in 2009-2011. Yesterday, the department of corrections announced they will be opening 4 mental health facilities to handle prisoners. Coincidence? Apparently a federal law suit prompted them to admit that perhaps solitary confinement wasn't the same as mental health treatment. :facepalm: The salary cost alone will be $62 million a year.

The economic and moral clusterfuck of criminalizing mental health is staggering.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-11-2014, 04:06 PM
We need the laws changed, we shouldn't be arresting johns/prostitutes, we should be arresting people for drug possession. Victimless crime, shouldn't be a crime

FBD
11-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Yes, just like drug dealers would be if it weren't for those damn drug laws.

if there wasnt such a black market premium, a dealer would make marginal cash and wouldnt be able to easily make a living off of it with a small amount of effort.

privatized jails have incentive and inked deals that they remain a certain % full by fuggin contract

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2014, 04:16 PM
if there wasnt such a black market premium, a dealer would make marginal cash and wouldnt be able to easily make a living off of it with a small amount of effort.

privatized jails have incentive and inked deals that they remain a certain % full by fuggin contract

There's no black market premium in Colorado, at least on weed. In fact, pot shop owners are whining that there are too many shops open and the price has fallen thru the floor and they can't make any money.

FBD
11-11-2014, 04:19 PM
So they are complaining that the premium has fallen because there is no longer the legal risk :lol: well, you affirmed my point ;)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Exactly

FBD
11-11-2014, 04:25 PM
somewhat free market ftw :woot:

Hal-9000
11-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Courts already favor females. Equal justice under the law hasn't applied for gender in a long time.

:thumbsup:

RBP
11-11-2014, 04:29 PM
We need the laws changed, we shouldn't be arresting johns/prostitutes, we should be arresting people for drug possession. Victimless crime, shouldn't be a crime

I have never seen a realistic breakdown of the numbers for true minor possession cases. It's small, the marijuana numbers are almost negligible, and they serve almost no time. Dealers, another story. Federally the numbers are about 50% dealers, but there's only 500,000 federal prisoners total. At a state level it's around 17% drugs and that's where the vast majority are. The screaming about the prisons being overloaded because of drugs is largely hyperbole.

But I don't disagree.

But the intellectual dishonesty of that argument is assuming that all drugs dealers would be model citizens of not for the drug war. They exist on a black market economy one way or the other. It would just shift to some other criminal enterprise.

I hear you on the private prisons, it's bad policy. But the percentage held at private prisons is low single digits, 6 if I remember correctly. That doesn't explain it.

FBD
11-11-2014, 04:46 PM
oh I wasnt pointing that out as some explanation...I just disagree with private prisons on general principle.

I also dont posit that all or most drug dealers would be model citizens...

but that said, 90% of the people I know who deal drugs, which is mainly just weed/thc products and perhaps some shrooms or acid here and there....are not bad people at all, its just some side bucks for them, and its not like they peddle, its mainly a large network of friends. do any of them belong in jail, much less for selling a little weed to their friends? no, not at all. (curiously, any of the ones who also deal coke are not in that 90%...coincidence? perhaps...)

I think regardless of the actual percentages we're talking about, its simply bad policy for the government to have sold itself out to the cotton lobby to have made weed illegal in the first place.

And ya know what?

The federal government has no enumerated power by which to declare drugs illegal in the first place, so before one considers any theories, put that in your pipe and take a nice big draw ;)