PDA

View Full Version : European spacecraft begins descending to comet 67P

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2014, 11:47 AM
By FRANK JORDANS and CHRISTOPH NOELTING - The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/WEBQgwr.jpg

DARMSTADT, Germany (AP) — The European Space Agency's unmanned Rosetta probe successfully released a lander toward the surface of comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko on Wednesday, putting it on its final seven-hour journey to a historic rendezvous with the fast-moving lump of dust and ice.

The audacious landing attempt is the climax of a decade-long mission to study the 4-kilometer (2.5-mile) wide comet, which is traveling at 41,000 mph (66,000 kph). It is also the end of a 6.4 billion-kilometer (4 billion-mile) journey on which Rosetta carried its sidekick lander Philae piggyback.

"It's on its own now," said Stephan Ulamec, Philae Lander Manager at the DLR German Aerospace Center. He said that "we'll need some luck not to land on a boulder or a steep slope."

If successful, it will be the first time that a spacecraft has landed on a comet. Confirmation of a landing should reach Earth by about 1603 GMT (11:03 a.m. EST).

ESA announced early Wednesday that the 100-kilogram (220-pound) lander's active descent system, which uses thrust to prevent the craft from bouncing off the comet's surface, could not be activated. Instead, the agency is relying on ice screws and a harpoon system to secure the lander.

Hours later, mission controllers clapped and embraced as the lander's separation was confirmed.

http://i.imgur.com/kxnPUmP.jpg

"Philae has gone — it's on its path down to the comet," Rosetta flight director Andrea Accomazzo said. "We are all glad that it worked flawlessly in the past minutes."

About two hours after the separation was confirmed, scientists said they had re-established contact with the lander, as expected. "Now we can follow it on its descent," said Paolo Ferri, head of mission operations at ESA.

The washing machine-sized lander is supposed to drift down to the comet and latch on using harpoons and screws. During the descent, scientists are powerless to do anything but watch, because the vast distance to Earth — 500 million kilometers (311 million miles) — makes it impossible to send instructions in real time. It takes more than 28 minutes for a command to reach Rosetta.

The plan is that Rosetta and Philae will then accompany the comet as it hurtles toward the sun and becomes increasingly active as it heats up. Using 21 different instruments, they will collect data that scientists hope will help explain the origins of comets and other celestial bodies.

The European Space Agency says that even if the landing doesn't succeed, the 1.3 billion euro ($1.6 billion) mission launched in 2004 won't be a failure. Rosetta will be able to perform 80 percent of the mission on its own.

Griffin
11-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Rosetta probe? :-k
Well if they encounter Alien life they should learn the language fast.

FBD
11-12-2014, 01:50 PM
good luck, but I think the chances of this thing touching down on flat enough ground are next to nil and they are flying in, landing blind with a 30 second delay to even get data.

FBD
11-12-2014, 05:13 PM
:woot: TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!! awesome!!!!

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2014/11/20141112_comet1.jpg

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2014/11/20141112_comet2.jpg

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2014/11/20141112_comet3.jpg

FBD
11-12-2014, 05:17 PM
http://www.space.com/27734-rosettas-comet-sounds-like-this-magnetic-oscillations-video.html

teh fook! :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Agence France Presse

Darmstadt (Germany) (AFP) - Europe's robot probe Philae may not be securely anchored to comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko after an apparent glitch with its landing harpoons, the European Space Agency (ESA) said Wednesday.

"There are some indications that they might not have been fired, which could mean that we are sitting in soft material and we are not anchored," Philae lander manager Stephan Ulamec told reporters at ground control in Darmstadt, Germany.

"We have to analyse what is the actual situation," he said as jubilation at end of the robot lab's seven-hour descent quickly turned into concern.

"We have to know exactly where we land, how did we land," said Ulamec, adding more should be known in "a few hours".

ESA Operations earlier tweeted that analysis of telemetry data "indicates harpoons did not fire as 1st thought", though it insisted the lander was "in gr8 [great] shape".

"Team looking at refire options," said the message.

The Philae Lander Twitter account added: "I’m on the surface but my harpoons did not fire. My team is hard at work now trying to determine why."

The 100-kilo (220-pound) lander separated from its mothership, Rosetta, Wednesday after a trek lasting a decade and covering 6.5 billion km (four billion miles).

Philae was designed to settle down at a gentle 3.5 kilometres per hour, firing two harpoons in the hope that the comet's surface -- a complete unknown -- would give it grip while it conducts an array of scientific experiments.

Hal-9000
11-12-2014, 07:27 PM
"...firing two harpoons in the hope that the comet's surface -- a complete unknown -- would give it grip"

:lol: no wonder I think space flight is a waste of money

FBD
11-12-2014, 07:45 PM
wait until they see what kind of chewy nougat is at the center ;)

Hugh_Janus
11-12-2014, 07:49 PM
I fucking love this shit :cool:

RBP
11-15-2014, 06:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hdt0tg3.png

Teh One Who Knocks
11-17-2014, 12:13 PM
By Irene Klotz

(Reuters) - A pioneering robotic spacecraft shut down on Saturday after radioing results of its first and probably last batch of scientific experiments from the surface of a comet, scientists said.

Batteries aboard the European Space Agency’s Philae comet lander drained, shutting down the washing machine-sized probe after an adventurous and largely unscripted 57-hour mission.

Carried aboard the orbiting Rosetta mothership, Philae floated to the surface of comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko on Thursday, but failed to deploy anchoring harpoons.

Upon contacting the comet’s unexpectedly hard surface, it bounced back up into space twice then came to rest at a still-unknown location about 1 km (0.6 mile) from its original target.

Photos and other data relayed by Philae show it finally landed against a cliff or crater wall where there was little sunlight to recharge its batteries. Racing against the clock, scientists activated a series of automated experiments, the first to be conducted from the surface of a comet.

Before dying, Philae defied the odds and radioed its science results back to Earth for analysis.

Its last task was to reposition itself so that as the comet soars toward the sun, Philae’s batteries may recharge enough for a follow-on mission. “Perhaps when we are nearer to the sun we might have enough solar illumination to wake up the lander and re-establish communication,” spacecraft operations manager Stephan Ulamec said in a statement.

Scientists are particularly interested in learning about the chemical composition of any organic molecules in samples drilled out from the comet’s body.

Comets are believed to be pristine remnants from the formation of our solar system some 4.6 billion years ago. They contain rock and ice that have preserved ancient organic molecules like a time capsule and may provide insight into how the planets and life evolved.

Philae's drill descended more than 25 cm (10 inches) on Friday, penetrating the comet’s surface.

Rosetta in August became the first spacecraft to put itself into orbit around a comet. It will accompany the comet as it travels toward the sun for at least another 13 months.

FBD
11-17-2014, 01:43 PM
:doh:

Hal-9000
11-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Ok, so you know I have a negative opinion on these missions....granted, landing a probe on a comet that was going 41000 mph is an impressive feat.

So what kind of tangible data did they get from this experiment? That the comet was composed of dust and ice?

some useful, real world applicable examples please :)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-17-2014, 06:50 PM
:hater:

Hal-9000
11-17-2014, 06:53 PM
fence sitter this time....I want to see the result of all this time and money...

if they invent a breakfast drink like Tang, that's a thumbs down....if they get some sort of information that actually helps people on Earth, thumbs up

Hugh_Janus
11-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Ok, so you know I have a negative opinion on these missions....granted, landing a probe on a comet that was going 41000 mph is an impressive feat.

So what kind of tangible data did they get from this experiment? That the comet was composed of dust and ice?

some useful, real world applicable examples please :)

they'll know what it's made of rather than speculating.... and it's always better to know rather than guess and leave it at that

Hal-9000
11-17-2014, 07:47 PM
they'll know what it's made of rather than speculating.... and it's always better to know rather than guess and leave it at that

and that has what real world application on Earth? So we know what it's made out of if one hits our surface? :lol:

how about this - the whole thing was a ruse. They just want to know if they can hit objects like that with another projectile launched from Earth...

FBD
11-17-2014, 08:18 PM
what's wrong with filling in the gaps in our knowledge of solar system formation and aspects of resource seeding?

(personally, I think money would be better spent studying the sun, its far more influential and "now" oriented, and our solar model honestly sucks balls.)

DemonGeminiX
11-17-2014, 10:38 PM
and that has what real world application on Earth? So we know what it's made out of if one hits our surface? :lol:

how about this - the whole thing was a ruse. They just want to know if they can hit objects like that with another projectile launched from Earth...

They're going to start mining for natural resources on comets and asteroids. The wheels are already turning on it. Comets have high water content. Asteroids have natural metals embedded in them. They're perfect candidates to start harvesting resources from them and taking the pressure off of the Earth. This is only the first step.