PDA

View Full Version : Would y'all buy a pre-owned smartphone?

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2014, 11:47 PM
Would y'all buy a pre-owned smartphone if you were upgrading to current tech?

Yay or nay (wait for the poll, you mooks)?

Hugh_Janus
11-12-2014, 11:48 PM
yes

Yay or nay (wait for the poll, you mooks)?

no

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2014, 11:49 PM
:slap:

Hugh_Janus
11-12-2014, 11:50 PM
:dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2014, 12:00 AM
I sell used ones all the time, if you are dealing with craigslist or something, have the seller meet you at the local office (verizon for instance) so the can verify it can be activated on their network. I know with verizon a stolen phone will be deactivated and verizon will never allow it to be activated after that.

I also recycle phones to my users. So MINE is always new, but there is nothing wrong with a used ones in good condition ;)

RBP
11-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Depends on the economics overall and my cash flow, not just the cost of the phone. I would buy a used phone, yes, but for example, the Verizon guy said "you can pay $300 for the phone or sign up for the whatever-name plan and it's $15 dollars a month, but we discount your plan $10 for participating."

Um, so I can pay you $300 or pay a net $5 a month? That was an easy call.

Why would I put the cash out up front, especially when the net total is likely to be lower long term?

DemonGeminiX
11-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Depends on the economics overall and my cash flow, not just the cost of the phone. I would buy a used phone, yes, but for example, the Verizon guy said "you can pay $300 for the phone or sign up for the whatever-name plan and it's $15 dollars a month, but we discount your plan $10 for participating."

Um, so I can pay you $300 or pay a net $5 a month? That was an easy call.

Why would I put the cash out up front, especially when the net total is likely to be lower long term?

Are you talking about the Verizon Edge plan? Because I've done the math on the total costs over the course of 2 years of a new phone on both Edge and just resigning for 2 years and paying the subsidized cost for the phone up front. It costs you a little bit more to be on Edge than it does to just sign up for the 2 year plan, all costs included. Either way, they're not losing any money.

RBP
11-13-2014, 12:48 AM
Are you talking about the Verizon Edge plan? Because I've done the math on the total costs over the course of 2 years of a new phone on both Edge and just resigning for 2 years and paying the subsidized cost for the phone up front. It costs you a little bit more to be on Edge than it does to just sign up for the 2 year plan, all costs included. Either way, they're not losing any money.

I think that's it, yes. :shrug: it was $5 a month net after the discount. Maybe the MotoX was cheaper or something.

Loser
11-13-2014, 05:35 AM
No, pre owned current tech means someone bought it, found a problem, and is either getting rid of it, or it was a refurb, which is shit.

Noilly Pratt
11-13-2014, 06:05 AM
Depends on the source.

I've never bought a new smartphone. I have 4 that were given to me:

1) Nephew upgraded - first HTC phone in Canada - battery wouldn't hold a charge after a year
2) Cousin repaired it (he does it as a hobby) - iPhone 3g - currently used in my car as an MP3 player.
3) Friend upgraded - another HTC but it wouldn't run a lot of programs, so its good for a wifi device.
4) Friend's dad died and he knew I needed one. - HTC (My present one)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2014, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't buy one for myself I don't think, but we got a pre-owned S2 for the kid and it has worked fine since we got it. We bought it reconditioned thru T-Mobile. As for buying used on CL, definitely do what Porky said and make sure you aren't buying a paperweight.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2014, 03:25 PM
No, pre owned current tech means someone bought it, found a problem, and is either getting rid of it, or it was a refurb, which is shit.

:hand: I have to disagree, since I sell used ones. I just like to get the newest shit :lol:

But, some people are scammers for sure

Loser
11-13-2014, 08:50 PM
I've had three NEW phones crap out within 2 weeks. Note 2.

That means 2 are refurbished and floating around waiting to crap out again.

One was digitizer*original new*, other was the memory*refurb*, and third *refurb* was, and this is my favorite, some huge finger print under the glass.

They finally gave me a new one, instead of trying to put me off with refurbs.

This was the verizon store btw.

Muddy
11-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Isnt a new phone like a fuggin penny with a contract signature? Whats the issue here?

DemonGeminiX
11-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Isnt a new phone like a fuggin penny with a contract signature? Whats the issue here?

Depends on what you get. I could get the S4 new for free if I resign for a 2 year contract with Verizon, but Verizon has preowned S5's for $99.99. Sure, free is nice, but not being behind on current tech standards is nice too. I know, I've been mulling this over for a while now, and it does take me a while to make these decisions (shut up, Lance and Hal), but I wanna be sure I'm making the right call.

Lambchop
11-13-2014, 09:59 PM
If it was previously owned by a skank I would buy it and use data recovery software to retrieve deleted nudez

Muddy
11-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Lammy!

Muddy
11-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Depends on what you get. I could get the S4 new for free if I resign for a 2 year contract with Verizon, but Verizon has preowned S5's for $99.99. Sure, free is nice, but not being behind on current tech standards is nice too. I know, I've been mulling this over for a while now, and it does take me a while to make these decisions (shut up, Lance and Hal), but I wanna be sure I'm making the right call.

Dude the s4 is a nice phone... There isnt that much difference!

Hugh_Janus
11-13-2014, 11:04 PM

that situation, I'd go with the s4 :shrug:

Goofy
11-13-2014, 11:21 PM
I've got the S4, it's a great piece of kit :thumbsup:

Muddy
11-14-2014, 12:29 AM
I've got the s4 and the only reason I will upgrade is because of the waterproof feature and the fact I have a place on the river..

PorkChopSandwiches
11-14-2014, 03:36 PM
I have spent more then $99 reading this thread. Just buy it if it isnt going to break the bank

DemonGeminiX
11-14-2014, 05:40 PM
:-s

It costs you money to read my ridiculous threads?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2014, 05:44 PM

:waiting:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-14-2014, 05:46 PM
:-s

It costs you money to read my ridiculous threads?

Time is money :lol: