PDA

View Full Version : Maryland school district to strip references to religious holidays on school calendars

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2014, 11:49 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/SK1Ae7a.jpg

For some students in the suburbs of Washington, Christmas -- or at least recognition of it on their school calendars -- has been canceled.

The Montgomery County school board voted Tuesday to eliminate all references to religious holidays on school calendars, beginning in the 2015-16 school year. That includes Christmas and Easter, as well as Jewish holidays like Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah.

The vote came after a recommendation by schools Superintendent Joshua Starr that the board consider removing the names of religious holidays from the calendar in response to a request from Muslim community leaders to give equal billing to their holy day of Eid al-Adha. Starr told MyFoxDC that the county's public schools would still be closed on Christian and Jewish holidays due to the significant number of staff and student absences on those days, but technically not due to any religious observance.

The Washington Post reported that Muslim community leaders urged families to keep students home on Eid al-Adha, hoping that the number of absentees would persuade the school board to close the schools on that day. However, the Post reported that the number of absences were only slightly higher than on a typical school day.

Many Muslim families gathered Tuesday morning before the school board meeting, some carrying signs saying "Because our children matter too." However, many Muslims expressed dismay at the board's ultimate decision.

"By stripping the names Christmas, Easter, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, they have alienated other communities now, and we are no closer to equality," Saqib Ali, a former Maryland state delegate and co-chair of the Equality for Eid Coalition, told the Post. "It’s a pretty drastic step, and they did it without any public notification."

Future school calendars will now list the students' Christmas vacation as "winter break", the Easter vacation as "spring break." Days like Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur would simply be marked "no school for students and teachers."

Muddy
11-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Great idea! :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2014, 04:24 PM
:tup: I support this

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 05:05 PM
ffs I'll say it again....Christmas was originally a Pagan tradition of putting a tree in your home...Christians adopted/stole the idea and then further buggered the thought by attaching Christ's birthday to the date....believers or not, Jesus was not born Dec 25th...

moving forward we've had this 'notion' for years in our city...can't say or greet anyone - Merry Christmas, because it offends a certain portion of the population...due to THEIR religious beliefs...yet those very same people have no problem not working and getting paid for it during the holiday season.

eat shit and die....Christmas is a time for giving presents to your family and friends, sharing some meals.....if you don't like seeing it on a calendar, tough tarts it's part of both of our great country's cultural traditions/ end of..................

Muddy
11-13-2014, 05:34 PM
They are not attacking Christianity by renaming the holidays Hal.. They are being clever so they dont have to change the traditional days and hand out new Holidays for the Christian haters. It was very smart...

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 05:57 PM
"...to eliminate all references to religious holidays on school calendars"

Yes it seems that's exactly what they are doing... my two cents on the story anyways..

I bristle at the notion that Christmas is primarily a Christian holiday. Christmas is a cultural tradition in my world...and when groups feel the need to rename or not observe cultural traditions, our cultural identity and rights are being attacked.

I understand the byproduct of not having to hand new holidays to the Christian haters, but again, it's just another example of changing decades if not centuries of a country's traditional holidays. Due to....what?

a good example is that Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah are Jewish religious observances...Christmas is not. So why not leave the name intact?

It's something that's bothered me for years....the Christmas debacle...people need to understand the holiday for what it is, not their twisted religious perception of it.

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 06:02 PM
you gotta understand Muddy...one year I was wishing people a Merry Christmas at work and we got told that the new phrase should be Seasons Greetings..

no matter what the calendar thing above is trying to accomplish, I have this built in animosity towards it :oops:

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Has anyone ever seen the calendar that shows all holidays from various countries around the world? Some months are loaded...

As a joke I tell my boss - Hey it's May 13th, do I get tomorrow off for the Haitian Day of the Dead?? Laughs ensue and he tells me to FO..

So it made me think. We have a Fijian guy here and I asked him about one their holidays. He says it's two days of feasting, no one works and we do this and that. I asked him - hey dude, if I move there can a start a petition to get the holiday removed? He said sure, then I'd be part of the feast :lol:

I try to look at what would happen if I emigrated somewhere and then started a movement to remove, or change some of the religious observances. As in, still get the day off but the locals could no longer refer to it as 'that day'. It does make me think..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Muslims > Everyone Else

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 06:55 PM
I know they're leaving the holiday/days off intact but it really rankles me when traditional holidays like Easter and Christmas get blanked from the ledger of my history...

and you guys know that I'm a Christian warrior so when I say Xmas is not a religious observance, there is some weight in that comment..

what's next - we can't say Happy New Years because that offends a group that thinks there's a religious connotation to that as well?

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Those things are still available to you and your family at home, where they belong ;) They are still giving the time off for crying out load

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm telling ya man...they strike the word Christmas off my calendar and there will be blood in the streets :x

*yes again.. I understand the premise, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it..

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Porkster...do you put up a tree, decorate it and litter it with presents underneath during Christmas?

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2014, 07:12 PM
From the school calendar, you can buy any kind of calendar you like, with whatever holidays you chose to celebrate in it ;)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Porkster...do you put up a tree, decorate it and litter it with presents underneath during Christmas?

Of course, I hide eggs on easter too. Not that either of those things mean anything about religion. As really its just tradition

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Of course, I hide eggs on easter too. Not that either of those things mean anything about religion. As really its just tradition

Bingo, and it's a blackout :tup:

agreed

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2014, 07:14 PM
It still is, dont worry your pretty head

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 07:18 PM
From the school calendar, you can buy any kind of calendar you like, with whatever holidays you chose to celebrate in it ;)

I have a Greyhound (Staples) calendar beside my desk. It lists that Hanukkah begins December 16th. I think I may have to call the Greyhound head office and get them to change my calendar because I'm not Jewish and it offends me :x

ffs it says that Mexican Independence Day is on September 16th....what kind of insensitive heathens are these Greyhound people????

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Is being Mexican a religious thing? :-s

Oh no that's right...it's a traditional cultural observance

:doh:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2014, 07:27 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
11-13-2014, 07:28 PM
this thread feeds my bitterness :lol:

perrhaps