PDA

View Full Version : School District Eliminates Low Grades So That Students Don't Feel Bad

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2014, 12:46 PM
By Emily Smith - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/GKUFyBH.jpg

One Florida school board announced on Tuesday that it will eliminate grades that fall below a 50 in an effort to help students pass who might otherwise give up or drop out of school.

Despite objections from a group of teachers, the Orange County school board formalized the year-old practice of eliminating zero grades from middle and high schools this week. Though the new grading system won’t affect individual assignments, the end of a quarter or semester grades will no longer fall below a 50. Instead, the range for a failing grade will be 50 to 59.

Jesus Jara, the district’s deputy superintendent, said the move will allow students who have slipped up during a grading period to make up their grade during the remaining academic year. Superintendent Barbara Jenkins noted that if a student earns a 50 at the end of the first quarter, he or she must earn two A’s and a B for a final grade of C.

“That certainly indicates mastery,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins added that while 43 percent of students who were helped by pushing their grades to 50 percent over the past year still failed, she insisted that the move is nevertheless important.

Despite the school board’s approval of the new grading policy, many parents and teachers are upset by the change.

“I’m against inflating school grades in violation of our contract,” Wendy Doromal, a Timber Creek High School teacher, said. “This forces teachers to commit academic fraud and sacrifice their professional integrity. This also conflicts with state statues.”

Wendy Wing, a special-education teacher at Piedmont Lakes Middle School, argued that rewarding students who put little effort into their assignments does them a disservice. Edgewater Highschool freshman David Nwankwo agreed, noting that students who genuinely try shouldn’t be earning grades below 50 in the first place.

In opposition to the decision, parenting website The Stir suggested that the school district use their resources to give kids extra tutoring or move students into smaller classroom settings.

FBD
11-14-2014, 01:50 PM
that students who genuinely try shouldn’t be earning grades below 50 in the first place

this

deebakes
11-14-2014, 02:08 PM
:facepalm:

RBP
11-14-2014, 02:17 PM
#theendisnigh

PorkChopSandwiches
11-14-2014, 03:25 PM
that students who genuinely try shouldn’t be earning grades below 50 in the first place

this

exactly

perrhaps
11-14-2014, 03:35 PM
If a student is 16 years old and spending his 6th year in the 5th grade, don't you want him to drop out?

Reminds me of an old joke. Rufus gets off the school bus and runs excitedly in his house.

"Mommy, Mommy! At recess, all the third-grade boys got in a circle and pulled their things out of their pants. Mine was the biggest! Is that because I'm Black?"

"No, Rufus, it's because you're 21."

Noilly Pratt
11-14-2014, 03:45 PM
...yeah, because that really helps identify the kids who actually NEED help - just forget 'em. If the kids aren't getting educated, and then you're dismissing the evidence of this, why are you even calling yourselves educators?

Wouldn't you be pissed if you got a 51? Miley Moron got a 49 and a shrug, and you got a 51 and are on the radar. This "everybody wins" mentality will just dumb down our society more than it is, if that's possible.

MrsM
11-14-2014, 04:19 PM
I have a different view... my son was diagnosed with Dyslexia and as such has a IEP (Independent Education Plan) in place at his school. What this means is basically he can interact more giving oral answers and less writing. He is also graded based on his "level" and not his grade.

One thing that stood out when talking to him about this is that I thought he would like the adjusted plan because it accommodates his learning disability. His comments were that he doesn't like the special treatment because he wants to be treated like everyone else. he is uncomfortable with the fact that he is treated different.

When I went to school - kids like this were failed or in special education classes. that puts a target on them for ridicule and teasing. even though my son is with his peers and the special treatments are not overly obvious, he still wants to be treated like everyone else. There is no more failing a grade... at first I thought that would be best. but after going through the assessment process I see that failing kids was not addressing the issues

The teacher and school knows he would fail if he was forced to keep up with the other kids... we as parents know he would fail. However the purpose was not to identify his issues with failing grades - it was to keep encouraging him to learn, not get frustrated with "failing" and work at his pace to help him understand and learn. We got his report card the other day... he was graded "S" Satisfactory. He was proud of that because before his assessment he would have gotten a "US" Unsatisfactory. This encourages him to try because it shows that he can get results.

I think society puts too much emphasis into grades. Some here may feel like we are kidding ourselves that he is learning with the rest of his grade or that the "everybody wins" mentality is hurting society. And for somethings I agree - however for school it's just as important to want to keep learning and keep going to school as it is to get good grades.

He is in grade 3 - so we are not talking about the high school ages
Also the assessment cost us over $2500 - so not all families can afford that

perrhaps
11-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Nice post MrsM. I wish your son continued success and happiness, and commend you and your husband for your involvement and sacrifice.

Noilly Pratt
11-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Point taken.

Agreed, perrhaps - glad you're taking an active role in your son's education, MrsM. My point was that I didn't like in this particular instance that they were going to seemingly "forget" those who got under 50% and give them a free pass, and not have the reason for the low grade addressed.

My daughter is in a part Montessori, part regular school curriculum, and % points aren't really part of it. It's more about achieving/not achieving which I think is better all around.

Hal-9000
11-14-2014, 11:37 PM
It sounds like the education system in general should have better methods to identify disabilities like dyslexia and then moderate the programs using more suitable methods. Like MrsM's post outlines.

To take a group of kids and say they are all the same, then ignore/throw out the low grades to save feelings is ludicrous. The lazy kids will pick up on that, the smarter or more diligent kids will resent that and the kids with actual learning problems will never properly learn, putting them at a disadvantage in later years.

Hal-9000
11-14-2014, 11:43 PM
One of my old supervisors (he's 68 now) went to school near the dawn of time...he has dyslexia and had to wait until he was in grade 10 for a teacher to actually recognize and address the fact. No, teachers are not doctors but my supervisor told me - I could never read outloud, it took me months to finish books and my spelling was at a pre school level for almost 12 years. Then my grade 10 teacher picked up on the problem, gave me a thin blue piece of transparent plastic to put over the pages of books and reading was instantly easier.