PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox style Zombie Game?

Godfather
02-09-2011, 09:15 AM
I stumbled upon this recently and almost crapped myself - THIS is what this genre needs. A GTA IV/MMO for zombie fans.... The details here seem shady but I'm pumped. This has huge potential :mrgreen:

I'm unclear if this is going to be more like GTA or more like, say, World of Warcraft... but I'm hoping it comes out sooner rather than later, and makes a big splash

-----------------------------

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2DpJlL/arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/undead-labs-interview.ars

If there's one thing the world probably doesn't need, it's more zombies. Between film, games, television, and even books, the undead are everywhere. But the games that have come out so far—including everything from Left 4 Dead to Resident Evil—have largely failed to address one of the most powerful and intriguing aspects of a zombie apocalypse: survival. Undead Labs is looking to change that.

Ars spoke with studio founder Jeff Strain about Undead's upcoming projects, which include an open-world zombie survival game on Xbox Live Arcade.

Undead recently announced a partnership with Microsoft Game Studios, which will see MGS publishing the XBLA zombie game, currently codenamed Class3. Though details are slim on how the game will actually play, it's being described as both an action game and an open world game.

"Our core mission is to build a game around the question, 'What would you do in the face of the zombie apocalypse?'" Strain told Ars. "We want to give you the freedom to test your own survival strategy. Having great action gameplay is a core part of that, as it is in any good open world game. A third-person camera; direct, responsive controls; player-controlled aiming—these are what define the way the game plays from moment to moment."

But according to Strain, what will make Class3 different from most straight-up action games is its open-ended nature. It won't be a linear, mission-based experience. Instead, you'll be forced to make your own decisions and figure out what needs to be done. And these decisions will all be focused on survival, which, Strain explained, is one the main draws of the zombie genre.

"The genre does not endure because zombies are particularly interesting monsters to fight—compared to, say, dragons or giant robots—but instead because we emotionally connect with the notion of bands of human survivors trying to work together to survive against a common enemy in the face of societal collapse," he told Ars. "This is the strength of the zombie genre, and this is the foundation of the design for Class3."

The game will feature co-op play, both online and off. When playing online, you'll be able to visit your friend's world, and vice versa. But Undead is also working on something much more ambitious, a massively multiplayer zombie survival game appropriately known as Class4. It, too, will be coming to a game console, and Class3 will serve as a testing ground for its much larger sibling.

"Building an online world game from the ground up specifically for console gamers is not only a substantial technical challenge, but also an enormous design challenge," explained Strain. "Before we commit to that path, we want to make sure our game is fun to play. Being an online world game is simply not sufficient to guarantee that a game is fun.

"We want to build a community of zombie-survival and open world game fans, put something awesome in their hands in a reasonable time frame, and then integrate the community into the design process for Class4 so we can build an online world game with confidence that it will be fun. The Xbox Live platform is the ideal channel for that."

Strain wouldn't reveal any sort of release window for Class3, though he did say that the development cycle would be comparable to that of most XBLA games and that it began six months ago. He also wouldn't say much about the story. The game begins directly after a zombie apocalypse, and figuring out just what happened is actually one of your main goals. Well, that and staying alive.

More importantly, though, Strain discussed just what kind of undead forces players will be up against. Are they going to be fast, 28 Days Later zombies? Or the more common, slow and shambling hordes?

"Why, both, of course!" he told Ars.

Noilly Pratt
02-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Sounds like a great premise. I like sandbox games as well. GTA 3 I still go back to -- my 8 year old daughter still thinks it's just a Taxi game :D

samarchepas
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
A taxi game where you can hit people with your car just for the lolz :lol:

Hal-9000
02-09-2011, 05:36 PM
There's already a GTA mod for this and a game where you drive around and hit zombies.One user said it was fun but got old fast as all you do is drive around and nail zombies constantly :lol:

Godfather
02-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a kick-ass idea :mrgreen:

This sounds like more of an interactive world than GTA still :-k He said it won't just be driving around killing zombies and doing missions... even more open than a sandbox I'm thinking?

I'm picturing building places to survive, scrounging for resources, finding survivors... he seemed to describe it closer to a WoW type game, which wouldn't be surprising because Jeff Strain was a big part of creating WoW

Hal-9000
02-09-2011, 08:14 PM
That would be cool....a survival game with places to hide out and build weapons etc, level up your dude so to speak.

Fallout 3 in a decimated city with zombies everywhere ! (two thumbs waaaaay up)

Godfather
02-09-2011, 10:31 PM
:D :D

There aren't many other details for now... I'll keep an eye out and post them if I see them.

Goofy
02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
So, you're telling me that im gonna have to buy an Xbox360........ again? :sad2:

Godfather
02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
It must be cross platform :-k

From the sounds of things this game would be better suited to PC anyways

Loser
02-10-2011, 07:16 AM
I've been following undead labs since some Arenanet members left for it.

Looks like its a solid company and that game is gonna fkin own :lol:

Godfather
02-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Cool!! Great to hear... they haven't made anything else have they?

Loser
02-10-2011, 10:50 AM
No, but they're all talents peoples from other very VERYYYYYY lucrative companies.

The ones that left the guildwars empire for undead.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/08/11/four-arenanet-team-members-joining-undead-labs/

Godfather
02-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Damn, that's sweet. I'm pumped

redred
02-10-2011, 07:43 PM
if you guys like GTA and zombies have you tried

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHLVEGm7LrU

great game and very good multi player

Godfather
02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I haven't tried to the Red Dead zombie mod :-k Looks fun

redred
02-11-2011, 07:46 AM
to get more hype on it they released it as a world wide add-on on halloween 2010

minz
02-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Off to work, might see you all later. :)

Godfather
02-11-2011, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking you didn't meant to post that in this thread Minz :lol: :lol:

redred
02-11-2011, 08:12 AM
:lol: maybe shes off to kill zombies or cut their hair

Godfather
02-11-2011, 08:18 AM
:lol: Could be....

Goofy
02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Off to work, might see you all later. :)

:lol: maybe shes off to kill zombies or cut their hair

Hahahaha :lol: