PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper at G20 tells Vladimir Putin to 'get out of Ukraine'

Teh One Who Knocks
11-17-2014, 12:19 PM
The Canadian Press

http://i.imgur.com/fnBzefi.png

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has earned some love from the Australian media for his dustup with Russia's Vladimir Putin on the first day of the Group of 20 summit.

All-news networks and Australia's Sunday Mail reported on the prime minister's bold admonishment to Putin to "get out of Ukraine" at a private leaders' retreat ahead of the official opening of the summit earlier this weekend.

"Handshake came with a slapdown for Russian leader," read the headline of the Sunday Mail piece. It featured a photo of a beaver chomping on the Russian flag.

Australia's Business Insider also reported that Harper showed Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott "how to shirtfront the Russian president." Shirtfront is an Australian expression for smack down.

Harper's spokesman, Jason MacDonald, said the prime minister was speaking to a group of G20 leaders at the retreat when Putin approached and extended his hand.

MacDonald said Harper told Putin: "I guess I'll shake your hand but I have only one thing to say to you: You need to get out of Ukraine."

According to MacDonald, Putin did not respond positively. He didn't provide further details.

Russian ships stalk Australian coast

But a spokesman for the Russian delegation said Putin's response was: "That's impossible because we are not there."

Harper and the leaders of the world's top economies began the annual summit in a tense atmosphere dominated by Western anger towards Putin. The G20 leaders have raised the prospect of further sanctions against Russia.

Abbott lashed out at the Russian leader for apparently flexing his military muscles by sending four Russian navy ships to stalk Australia's northern coast in the days leading up to the G20 summit.

British Prime Minister David Cameron, meantime, warned Putin that Russia's entire post-Cold War relationship with the West is at risk due to the situation in Ukraine.

The two leaders reportedly had private talks that were "robust."

There were also reports that Putin decided to leave the summit early, missing the official Day 2 lunch, following his meeting with Cameron and another strained encounter with French President Francois Hollande. The Kremlin denied it.

Hollande has delayed a deal to supply two warships to Russia.

Harper has been a vehement Putin critic for months, with Canada and Russia trading a number of retaliatory sanctions.

He recently condemned the "continued penetration of Russian presence in eastern Ukraine and obvious actions to extend and provoke additional violence. That's of great concern to us."

Summit meant to focus on economy

On Day 2 of the summit, the prime minister met with top European Union leaders Jean-Claude Juncker and Herman Van Rompuy. He also sat down with Spanish President Mariano Rajoy Brey.

Harper will also take part in G20 working sessions on global economic resilience. The G20 leaders are also endorsing a plan to kickstart global economic growth and thwart corporate tax evaders.

Abbott, the chairman of the summit, is set to release a set of strategies submitted by each member country aimed at increasing global GDP by 2.1 per cent in the years to come.

The measures will create millions of jobs worldwide, Abbott said Saturday.

The leaders are also expected to give the green light to measures that will strengthen global banking systems, safeguard the derivatives markets and address the dangers posed by banks considered too big to fail.

They're also slated to endorse an initiative to crack down on tax avoidance and tax evasion and ensure that company profits are taxed where they are generated.

On Day 1 of the summit, the leaders agreed to "extinguish" the Ebola outbreak, but they didn't pledge any new funding for those efforts despite pleas from health-care workers battling the outbreak for more resources.

FBD
11-17-2014, 01:43 PM
yes, yes, we already know you have no pair of your own nuts, mr harper. when's nato going to get out of ukraine? when's the illegal government there going to get up and leave?

Hal-9000
11-17-2014, 05:13 PM
:x

Harper has balls.....they're just cold

FBD
11-17-2014, 05:30 PM
if mr harper had balls, he wouldnt have been elected puppet of canada. if mr harper had balls, he wouldnt say "ok whatever you say mista banksta, I'll get on the mic and regurgitate it faithfully"

where'd Ukraine's gold go, mr harper? I'm sure you know, but as usual, its a bit less than...kosher....to say aloud what deal was made. (no I'm not pointing the finger at canada there, germany was where it went, after the federal reserve politely told the bundesbank to fuck off when they spoke of gold repatriation....which is why the Swiss vote will also be managed and will fail...)

Hal-9000
11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
you do know that historically our Prime Minister doesn't make a move without consulting your boss :lol:

FBD
11-17-2014, 06:22 PM
and "our boss" doesnt make a move without consulting his owners and leash handlers...

its why people fret every time they figure out who they elected is a puppet...

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the only ones "deemed eligible" are those who will fit the bill for the team owners.

Hal-9000
11-17-2014, 06:25 PM
I've never trusted our guy since day one.....no soul or emotion...Stepford Prime Minister for sure

DemonGeminiX
11-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Thank you, Harper. Fuck you, Putin.

FBD
11-17-2014, 11:20 PM
I'm still curious if you're aware of the dubious legality of the current "government" there, dgx

DemonGeminiX
11-17-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm still curious if you're aware of Putin's dangerously illegal actions in the Ukraine, fbd.

FBD
11-18-2014, 01:57 AM
dangerously illegal :lol:

:shrug: I honestly dont know how to deal with a case of "I dont care what our guys are doing or how bad it is, the tiniest little thing from 'that other guy' means' he's on the cusp of causing war!"

if you want to keep on with your little snapshot of the history of this situation, you will never understand the bigger picture. and from how you speak of these things, the snapshot is small indeed.

deebakes
11-18-2014, 02:01 AM
:rip: :canada:

perrhaps
11-18-2014, 03:07 PM
PM Harper has more balls than President Obama, but so does my neutered Rottweiler.

FBD
11-18-2014, 07:17 PM
I'm still curious if you're aware of Putin's dangerously illegal actions in the Ukraine, fbd.

last I looked,

...aside from setting up a coup the overtake a government....that's bad, right....

what's worse?

when you go and loot the country's gold reserves. Over TWENTY tons of gold have been removed from Ukraine since this new "government" has been established.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2014/11/20141117_UKRGOLD_0.jpg

As Ukraina further reports, this stunning revelation means that not only has Ukraine been quietly depleting its gold throughout the year, but that the latest official number, according to which Ukraine gold was 8 times greater than the reported 1%, was fabricated, and that the real number is about 90% lower.

http://ukraina.ru/news/20141116/1011178918.html

According to official statistics the NBU, the amount of gold in the vaults should be eight times more than is actually in stock. At the beginning of this month, the volume of gold was about $ 1 billion, or 8% of the total gold reserves. Now this is just one percent.

According to recent data, the value of Ukraine gold should be $988.7 million. That is the value of gold proportion of gold in gold reserves is 8%. If you believe Gontareva, it turns out there is a mere $123.6 million in gold remaining.

The figure is fantastic, considering that the amount of gold at the end of February (when the new authorities have already taken key positions) was $1.8 billion or 12% of the reserves.

In other words, since the beginning of the year gold reserves dropped almost 16 times. Gold stock in February were approximately 21 tons of gold, the presence of which was once proudly reported by Sergei Arbuzov, who led the NBU in 2010-2012. So what happened to 20.8 tons of gold?

Explaining the dramatic reduction in the context of the hryvnia devaluation through gold sales is impossible. After all, 92% of the reserves of the National Bank is in the form of a foreign currency that is much easier to use to maintain hryvnia levels and cover current liabilities. Besides since March the international price of gold has plummeted. Selling ??gold under such circumstances is a crime. In fact it would be more expedient to increase gold reserves through currency conversion in precious metals.

But apparently the result is not due to someone's negligence or carelessness. The gold reserve has been actively carted out of the country, as a result of the very vague economic and political prospects of Ukraine. Something similar happened to the gold reserves of the USSR - when the Gorbachev elite realized that perestroika is leading the country to the abyss, gold simply disappeared in an unknown direction.

The article's conclusion:

As history shows, the reduction of the gold reserves in the context of an acute political crisis is usually preceded by the collapse of the state.

Oddly enough there was no official gold reduction just prior to the time when Victoria "Fuck the EU" Nuland was planning Yanukovich's ouster, and as shown above, quite the contrary. It is a little more odd that it was during the period when Ukraine was "supported" by its western allies that several billion dollars worth of physical gold - the people's gold - just "vaporized."

Dangerously illegal, indeed.

FBD
11-18-2014, 07:45 PM
http://iskra-news.info/news/segodnja_nochju_iz_borispolja_v_ssha_strartoval_sa moljot_s_zolotym_zapasom_ukrainy/2014-03-07-9122

Tonight, around at 2:00 am, an unregistered transport plane took off took off from Boryspil airport. According to Boryspil staff, prior to the plane's appearance, four trucks and two cargo minibuses arrived at the airport all with their license plates missing. Fifteen people in black uniforms, masks and body armor stepped out, some armed with machine guns. These people loaded the plane with more than forty heavy boxes.

After this, several mysterious men arrived and also entered the plane. The loading was carried out in a hurry. After unloading, the plateless cars immediately left the runway, and the plane took off on an emergency basis.

Airport officials who saw this mysterious "special operation" immediately notified the administration of the airport, which however strongly advised them "not to meddle in other people's business."

Later, the editors were called by one of the senior officials of the former Ministry of Income and Fees, who reported that, according to him, tonight on the orders of one of the "new leaders" of Ukraine, all the gold reserves of the Ukraine were taken to the United States.

Muddy
11-18-2014, 08:13 PM
I bet Putins a shakin in his shoes now..

Hal-9000
11-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Poutine vs Putin

:dance:

FBD
11-18-2014, 09:08 PM
:lol: well, china and russia havent been buying like mad for no reason ;) they aint stupid...and they dont have their leaders tell their citizens stupid things like gold is a barbarous relic that citizens dont need to have...