PDA

View Full Version : 'How likely is LaPrincess to inherit LaShamanda's big bootie?' School pulls 'racist' science question after outcry

Teh One Who Knocks
11-17-2014, 05:55 PM
By Kieran Corcoran for MailOnline

http://i.imgur.com/dXvLYSa.jpg

A science question asking whether a woman named LaShamanda would pass on her 'big bootie' to her daughter has been removed from lessons after parents said it was racist.

Ardrey Kell High School in Charlotte, North Carolina, featured a genetics question in which students were asked to work out the likelihood of a child - LaPrincess - getting 'her mama's big bootie'.

Outraged parents question seized upon the question's language, which they said uses racial stereotypes and belittles black people, causing school authorities to withdraw it from tests.

The question, reported by WBTV, was designed to tests whether the students could understand the difference between a dominant trait, which parents are likely to pass on, and a recessive one, which they are not.

It begins: 'LaShamanda has a heterozygous big bootie, the dominant trait. Her man Fontavius has a small bootie which is recesiive. They get married and have a baby named LaPrincess.'

After asking students to show their workings, two questions were asked:

'What is the probability that LaPrincess will inherit her mam's big bootie?'
'If LaShamanda and Fontavius have another child, what is the probability that it will have a big bootie?'

The mother of an Ardrey High student said: 'This is not appropriate language at all for the children in the school'.

A father whose child goes to the school said: 'It's racist - absolutely - and stereotypical.'

An initial response to a parent who complained from an Ardrey High teacher apologized for the offence - but attempted to justify its inclusion by saying students could skip the question and choose another.

However, after renewed complaints the school district distanced itself from the question and said it would be pulled.

A statement from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS), which operates Ardrey High, said: 'The worksheet does not appear to be a document created by CMS.

'The school has taken the worksheet out of circulation and requested its teachers to discontinue using it.'

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2014, 05:57 PM
seems inappropriate at least

RBP
11-17-2014, 06:12 PM
I agree, but they also argue that tests are made by white people who use language that is culturally biased. I am willing to bet that was the teachers intent. To make it interesting and relatable. But poorly executed.

Hal-9000
11-17-2014, 06:18 PM
If LaShamanda and Fontavius have another child....

will welfare provide support for their 4th child in 3 years?

:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2014, 06:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/z2qDSIf.png

FBD
11-17-2014, 06:20 PM
so the foul was using ebonics?

like the love of watermelon and chicken, it goes beyond the color of one's skin.

as if to say there aint a whole shit ton of white women with disgustingly huge asses.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
so the foul was using ebonics?

like the love of watermelon and chicken, it goes beyond the color of one's skin.

as if to say there aint a whole shit ton of white women with disgustingly huge asses.

:hand:

There are no white people named LaShamanda and Fontavius :lol:

Hal-9000
11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Fontavius...wtf :lol:

RBP
11-17-2014, 08:26 PM
You should see the names I do every day... Those aren't rare at all.

deebakes
11-18-2014, 02:10 AM
:rofl: