PDA

View Full Version : College Women Told to Practice Facial Expressions to Prevent Rape

Teh One Who Knocks
11-18-2014, 11:46 AM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/rEkIltN.png

A recent speech about alcohol and rape prevention at Ramapo College in Mahwah, N.J., has raised cackles and anger.

Cory Rosenkranz, a counselor at school's Center for Health and Counseling Services, spoke at the “AlcoholEdu” program on campus, which is supposed to educate peer facilitators about the choices that freshman make about alcohol.

“[Rosenkranz] started the presentation by talking about preventative measures… but then it became kind of peculiar, the extent she was taking it to,” Brandon Molina, a peer facilitator, told the Ramapo News. “She was saying that women need to watch their body language and that women should practice how they articulate their face [in a social setting] by practicing in the mirror.”

“My thought the whole time was maybe women shouldn’t practice how long they’re blinking, men should just not rape people,” stated Molina.

Rosenkranz reportedly claimed that female students need to be self aware about how they dress, interact with people, conduct their body language, drink and use their facial expressions.

“I’m a little perplexed as to how body language would be an invitation to sexual violence,” added Caitlin Eckert, a prevention coordinator who works at the healingSPACE, an off-campus sexual violence resource center.

Campus Reform notes that the speech has been mocked on Twitter, even by people who do not attend the college.

Some of the tweets have included women holding guns with the hashtag #MyAntiRapeFace.

According to The Washington Post, the Campus Sexual Assault Study found in 2007 that 19 percent of undergraduate women on two college campuses "experienced attempted or completed sexual assault since entering college."

RBP
11-18-2014, 12:25 PM
That's just dumb.

And they need to stop saying the debunked 1 in 5 number.

"Attempted sexual assault" is meaningless when defined as rejected advances.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-18-2014, 12:26 PM
That's just dumb.

And they need to stop saying the debunked 1 in 5 number.

"Attempted sexual assault" is meaningless when defined as rejected advances.

:rapeculture:

deebakes
11-18-2014, 02:15 PM
:doggybanana: