PDA

View Full Version : Oscar winner claims Hollywood pays men 10 times more than women

Teh One Who Knocks
11-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Kaitlyn Schallhorn Reporter - Campus Reform

http://i.imgur.com/oxAZprN.jpg

Life for women in the 1800’s is no different than life for women today, Hilary Swank told a group of students last week.

Speaking about her new movie, The Homesman to an audience at Loyola Marymount University School of Film & TV (SFTV), Academy Award-winning actress Swank compared women’s equality today to that of the mid-1800’s.

“This is a feminist movie. To me it’s about the objectification and trivialization of women and it takes place in the mid-1800’s, but us women know exactly what that feels like now in 2014,” Swank said to the students on Nov. 12. “So even though, talking about gay, lesbian, and transgendered issues and how far they’ve come, same with equality for women, and how far we’ve come, yet how far we still need to go.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1aZORw4t4Q

In the movie, Swank’s character teams up with Tommy Lee Jones to transport three women with severe mental illnesses across the country, according to IMDB.

In addition to comparing the plight of pioneer women to women in modern times, Swank celebrated Jones’ role in the movie, which she dubbed a “feminist story.”

“How great that Tommy Lee Jones...this person that people see as this rough man is at the helm of telling this feminist story,” she said. “I love that. I love how that in itself divides stereotypes.”

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Swank also lamented to students about how much women in Hollywood get paid compared to men.

“My male counterpart will get paid ten times more than me—ten times,” Swank said. “Not double, but ten times for the same job. We only have this much left for the female actress. I mean, there’s two genders on this earth. Both are compelling, interesting, diverse, wonderful in all their own separate ways. And yet there’s an influx of male roles, and there’s just not for women.”

Jones told the Guardian that while he isn’t labeling the movie as a feminist movie, “it would not be unfair to call it that.”

“I don’t think there’s a woman in the readership of the Guardian, not one, who hasn’t been objectified or trivialized because of her gender at one time or another,” Jones said. “And that’s what our movie is about.”

Swank’s talk at SFTV was part of the school’s The Hollywood Masters series. Stephen Galloway, executive features editor of The Hollywood Reporter, moderates the discussions which are open to all Loyola students.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Someone should tell her that movie stars get paid 1000 times more than people that do real jobs :rolleyes:

RBP
11-18-2014, 12:36 PM
I also highly doubt that's anywhere close to true.

DemonGeminiX
11-18-2014, 12:42 PM
She just doesn't get paid as much as other stars.... because she's ugly.

FBD
11-18-2014, 01:30 PM
^ yup, whatever a movie star lacks in looks they have to make up tenfold in character, and she dont come close. sorry baby that just means your street value is low!

deebakes
11-18-2014, 02:07 PM
maybe she should take her talents to some other profession then if she isn't being paid enough :idk:

Muddy
11-18-2014, 05:04 PM
She should hook up with that Disney Elsa voice-over chick,

Teh One Who Knocks
11-18-2014, 05:11 PM
I looked it up....for films, the highest paid actor over the last year was Robert Downey Jr at $75 million and the highest paid woman was Sandra Bullock at $51 million. Hardly a '10 times' difference. And in TV, the highest paid actor was Aston Kucher at $26 million while the highest paid actress was Sofia Vergara at $30 million

Muddy
11-18-2014, 05:11 PM
She's just a whiny little jealous snit.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-18-2014, 05:59 PM
:wah:

FBD
11-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Sofia Vergara>10x hotter at bare minimum than Hillary Swank, so see bitch, its all about your market value

Hal-9000
11-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Someone should tell her that movie stars get paid 1000 times more than people that do real jobs :rolleyes:

yep, 3 to 6 months average...not working every day and some get over 20 million?

For instance, Jim Carey while funny....is never worth 20 mill for acting in a film I'll watch in 1.5 hours and forget in a couple of years

PorkChopSandwiches
11-18-2014, 07:46 PM
yep, 3 to 6 months average...not working every day and some get over 20 million?

For instance, Jim Carey while funny....is never worth 20 mill for acting in a film I'll watch in 1.5 hours and forget in a couple of years

He's worth whatever they think the draw will be, regardless if you like him or not. He puts asses in seats

Hal-9000
11-18-2014, 08:42 PM
He's worth whatever they think the draw will be, regardless if you like him or not. He puts asses in seats

we've had the same exchange about sports stars....it doesn't matter what the draw power is....I don't think any human is worth millions for acting or playing 17 games of a sport that they're excellent at...

it's an integral part of what's wrong with our society IMO

PorkChopSandwiches
11-18-2014, 08:46 PM
we've had the same exchange about sports stars....it doesn't matter what the draw power is....I don't think any human is worth millions for acting or playing 17 games of a sport that they're excellent at...

it's an integral part of what's wrong with our society IMO

Yes, so the alternative is what? Let the owners/producers reap all the reward on the back of the talent?

Hal-9000
11-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Yes, so the alternative is what? Let the owners/producers reap all the reward on the back of the talent?

nawww...scale down the whole process... so producers and actors don't make millions = tickets don't cost 16 bucks a pop and popcorn isn't 6 dollars to see The A-Team III :lol:

same with sporting franchises....the athletes, venues and commercial rights need to accept/charge less money because the whole process has become ludicrous in terms of dollars in and out...to show a bloody basketball game ffs...

just my wishes in hal's Utopia....

PorkChopSandwiches
11-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Its supply and demand, if the demand goes down, then the value will go down. Until then it is what it is so to say someone doesn't deserve part of the pot isn't fair

Hal-9000
11-18-2014, 08:58 PM
and that's a good point....people still pay 300 bucks for 50 yard line seats seats and have no problem paying almost 20 bucks for a movie ticket...

we gotta be strong and say - nope, Darnell Willis Jackson 2nd isn't worth 118 million per year...because he gained 1000 yards last year...playing a sport he's been good at since he was 10 years old ffs :lol:

same thing with actors....I've never seen a performance worth 20 million (except Jenna Jameson in the early 90's)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Its supply and demand, if the demand goes down, then the value will go down. Until then it is what it is so to say someone doesn't deserve part of the pot isn't fair

For sports teams though, if the demand goes down, ticket prices don't go down, instead the owner threatens to move the team to a new city

Hal-9000
11-18-2014, 09:06 PM
I know what you're throwin down PCS...I have never agreed with the entire system

FBD
11-18-2014, 09:15 PM
For sports teams though, if the demand goes down, ticket prices don't go down, instead the owner threatens to move the team to a new city

where they will attempt to make a deal to swindle taxpayers out of at least half the cost of their new stadium

RBP
11-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Hollywood's Top Female Earners in 2009

1. Emma Watson, actress ($30million)

2. Cameron Diaz, actress ($27million)

3. Sarah Jessica Parker, actress ($24million)

4. Katherine Heigl, actress ($24million)

5. Reese Witherspoon, actress ($21million)

6. Angelina Jolie, actress ($21million)

7. Jennifer Aniston, actress ($20million)

8. Sandra Bullock, actress ($20million)

9. Kristen Stewart , actress ($16million)

Hollywood's Top Male Earners in 2009

1. Michael Bay, producer-director ($125 million)

2. Steven Spielberg, producer-director ($85 million)

3. Roland Emmerich, producer-director ($70 million)

4. James Cameron, producer-director ($50 million)

5. Todd Phillips, director ($44 million)

6. Daniel Radcliffe, actor ($41 million)

7. Ben Stiller, actor ($40 million)

8. Tom Hanks, actor ($36 million)

9. J. J. Abrams, producer-director ($36 million)

10. Jerry Bruckheimer, producer ($35.5 million)

Pony
11-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Hollywood's Top Female Earners Actors in 2009

1. Emma Watson, actress ($30million)

2. Cameron Diaz, actress ($27million)

3. Sarah Jessica Parker, actress ($24million)

4. Katherine Heigl, actress ($24million)

5. Reese Witherspoon, actress ($21million)

6. Angelina Jolie, actress ($21million)

7. Jennifer Aniston, actress ($20million)

8. Sandra Bullock, actress ($20million)

9. Kristen Stewart , actress ($16million)

Hollywood's Top Male Earners Actors in 2009

1. Michael Bay, producer-director ($125 million) Not an actor

2. Steven Spielberg, producer-director ($85 million) Not an actor

3. Roland Emmerich, producer-director ($70 million) Not an actor

4. James Cameron, producer-director ($50 million) Not an actor

5. Todd Phillips, director ($44 million) Not an actor

6. Daniel Radcliffe, actor ($41 million)

7. Ben Stiller, actor ($40 million)

8. Tom Hanks, actor ($36 million)

9. J. J. Abrams, producer-director ($36 million) Not an actor

10. Jerry Bruckheimer, producer ($35.5 million) Not an actor

Fixed that to reflect a more "apples to apples" comparison.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Plus that data is 5 years old.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2014, 11:42 AM
where they will attempt to make a deal to swindle taxpayers out of at least half the cost of their new stadium

I hear ya, when the Broncos wanted a new stadium here and it was put to a public vote, I voted against it (it still passed) and Bowlen the owner was hinting that if the stadium measure didn't pass, he was going to move the team to Toronto.

RBP
11-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Fixed that to reflect a more "apples to apples" comparison.

Plus that data is 5 years old.

Well, duh, you can read the actor v actress piece and see it's nowhere close to any 10 times. That was the point.