PDA

View Full Version : No sign of missing RMNP hiker after Tuesday's search

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Allison Sylte - 9 News Colorado

http://i.imgur.com/38vA0UF.jpg

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK – Rescuers are searching for a 25-year-old Broomfield man who hasn't returned from an attempt to summit Longs Peak.

Park Rangers found Peter Jeffris' car in the parking lot at the Longs Peak Trailhead. Friends reported him missing when he didn't show up at work on Monday.

It is unclear what route he was planning, but friends say he may have attempted the Cables Route.

A Park Search and Rescue team combed a small segment of the area until dark on Monday, according to a news release from Rocky Mountain National Park. A team of 32 plans to search the north face, Keyhole Route, Chasm Cirque area and along the Longs Peak Trail Tuesday.

Sunday and Monday's weather included snow, high winds and bitter temperatures. A search on Tuesday also yielded no leads, with rescuers braving 50 to 55 mile per hour winds above treeline. They say gusts above 65 mph made it difficult to stand.

Similar conditions are forecasted on Wednesday.

Friends say Jeffris has been to Longs Peak three times in the winter. He is 6'2" and 180 pounds, and described as athletic. Rescuers say his phone pinged in the Longs Peak area on Sunday morning.

High winds are preventing aerial search efforts on Tuesday.

At an elevation of 14,259 feet, Longs Peak is the only 14er in Rocky Mountain National Park and one of Colorado's most popular hikes during the summer.

Park rangers ask anyone who was in the area on Sunday or Monday to call (970) 586-1204.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Stories like this really piss me off. Because this guy was a fucking dumbass and decided to hike a 14,000' mountain by himself in the freezing cold and wind and gets lost/hurt up there, now he put other people at risk who are out there looking for him and costing the state money on top of it. Leave him out there, it's his own fucking fault and no one else should be put at risk because he's a moron.

perrhaps
11-19-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm woefully ignorant about technology, and the only extensive hiking I've done is in and around the Red Rock Canyon, NV area (longest @8 miles, and never alone)

That being said, can you buy a portable GPS unit superior to the one in your phone, and if so, for how much?

PorkChopSandwiches
11-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Stories like this really piss me off. Because this guy was a fucking dumbass and decided to hike a 14,000' mountain by himself in the freezing cold and wind and gets lost/hurt up there, now he put other people at risk who are out there looking for him and costing the state money on top of it. Leave him out there, it's his own fucking fault and no one else should be put at risk because he's a moron.

Yup

FBD
11-19-2014, 10:25 PM

when shit gets slippery, it gets slippery. I'll never forget that time my coz fell off the back side of mt Roberts (juneau) hiking alone up there when there was snow and poor footing...fucker fell at least a thousand feet, lost both boots that were laced up to the calf, the only thing on him that wasnt all torn up was those carhart pants....and he said all the shit in his backpack was probably the only thing that kept his back from getting broken in the process.

you fall that long, and...

I remember my bro telling me about a skiing fall he had where it was so long and he just could not stop himself and for about the middle third of the fall, he just closed his eyes and waited for it all to stop....and when that didnt work, opened his eyes and tried again...

he had a wonderful football sized hematoma on the side of his hip from that.

still goes on long hikes by himself, and my mom yells at him :lol:

Muddy
11-19-2014, 11:25 PM
2 points for Lancindor..