PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Will Soon Require Work for Food Stamps

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2014, 01:08 PM
By Amanda Andrade - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/FU1oPVX.jpg

Some people in Indiana who currently receive food stamps may be forced to head to work soon.

Those who are benefiting from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and are able-bodied adults without any dependents will be required to work or be in a work-training program for 20 hours a week in order to get assistance. Of the nearly 900,000 people who receive SNAP benefits in Indiana, about seven percent, or 65,000 people, meet those criteria.

This isn’t anything new. Prior to 2011, recipients of SNAP were required to work at least 20 hours a week or be in a work-training program. However, that portion was suspended during an economic downturn, when work was scarce.

“Ultimately, the goal of this is to get these people the sort of training and assistance they need to get back to work full time, so they won’t need SNAP assistance,” Marni Lemons, a Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA) spokesperson, said.

Still, there are some provisions. If someone falls on hard times, they will be able to receive SNAP for three months during a three-year time frame. It is up to them to choose whatever months the assistance is needed.

Last year, the work requirements were instated in Ohio.

“I ultimately believe it helped me get a job,” said Tristan Scranton, who went through the program, is now living without SNAP and is going to college part time while working full time. “My resume wasn’t very well organized. I think it will definitely help weed out people who abuse the system, and ultimately make it better for the state.”

FSSA representatives told WANE the department is hoping to enforce the work requirement across the state between March and May of next year. They will inform those affected with a letter.

FBD
11-19-2014, 02:13 PM
SNAP, because breadlines are so 1930's

both depressions share a cause

PorkChopSandwiches
11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME

FBD
11-19-2014, 05:37 PM
I understand the whole "you should be able to go out and get a job" jammy, but man...the job market sucks. And that is directly the result of the government and the federal reserve.

So while I thin k people should carry their own weight...when you have a 6" layer of bureaucracy added on to every wafer of human activity and you have manipulated markets to the point where businesses have been sitting on their hands because of "regulatory uncertainty"....

once again, a terrorist-captured government is the problem.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-19-2014, 05:38 PM
You think these clowns are affected by the job market, they just dont want to work. If they do at least they can get job training now

FBD
11-19-2014, 05:49 PM
culture, my brotha. cultural rot. societal rot. not this substantial of a percentage before. the poor are being incentivized not to want to work. I cant be arsed at the moment but if you really want me to dig up all the ways the government is flat out incentivizing people not to work if they dont feel like it, it is quite possible.

it is what it is....I'm not excusing their laziness one iota, but I am not going to ascribe an inordinate amount of blame on people who are dealt a house hand and are indeed incentivized to hold on to that house hand and not make it a better one.