PDA

View Full Version : Man shocked when he gets $1.2K bill for in-flight WiFi

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2014, 11:39 AM
By Evann Gastaldo - Newser

http://i.imgur.com/M1q0Zaw.jpg

When Jeremy Gutsche signed up for a WiFi plan on a Singapore Airlines flight last week, he knew he was getting 30 megabytes for $28.99 and would be responsible for any additional data he used.

What he apparently did not know was that by "checking email and uploading a PowerPoint document," as the Wall Street Journal puts it, he would end up viewing 155 pages and getting charged $1,171. The airline talked to OnAir, the Switzerland-based WiFi provider, on Gutsche's behalf, but the Canadian CEO is out of luck: He has to pay the whole bill.

"I wish I could blame an addiction to Netflix or some intellectual documentary that made me $1200 smarter," he writes on his blog. "However, the Singapore Airlines internet was painfully slow, so videos would be impossible and that means I didn’t get any smarter … except about how to charge a lot of money for stuff. I did learn that." OnAir says its fee schedule is "entirely transparent," and that customers can see how much data they've consumed.

deebakes
11-20-2014, 02:37 PM
:shock:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-20-2014, 04:36 PM
So he was completely aware of the charge plan, and then was surprised when he upped a giant PPT :facepalm: