PDA

View Full Version : Parent Wants Teacher To Stop Wearing Star Of David Necklace, School District Still Allows It

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2014, 11:43 AM
By Jonathan Constante - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/XhBZ92c.jpg

Two students in Enola, Pennsylvania, have issued complaints about a necklace worn by their teacher.

In 1949, Act 14 (Sect. 1112) prohibited public school teachers from showing any kind of religious symbol or imagery in the classroom. Now, a parent of one of the two students at East Pennsboro Middle School has issued a formal complaint to the school district, claiming a teacher is violating the law by wearing the Star of David on their necklace.

“They are there to learn about education, not to learn about the religious points of view,” Ernest Perce told ABC 27. “If a child is subjected to a teacher where a symbol of Judaism is allowed to skirt the law, I believe that a Muslim should be allowed to cover her head as well as a Christian to cover her head like the Bible commands,” Perce continued.

Perce went on to tell ABC 27 that he was once an atheist, but recently became an Orthodox Christian. Two years ago, he protested the 2012 “Year of the Bible.”

Perce reached out to the school’s district attorney and was not pleased with the response. The letter said that the school will not force the teacher to “discontinue wearing the religious symbol,” citing a ruling in western Pennsylvania that permitted a teacher assistant to wear a Christian cross.

Perce, however, is still fighting the case. He said that the board could be fined and the teacher suspended, according to the 1949 law. For now, Perce has removed his child from the teacher's classroom.

deebakes
11-21-2014, 02:02 PM
:hitler:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Then dont complain when my son where his Satans Temple tshirt

http://i.imgur.com/h68ADlw.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Here's the part I don't understand:

“They are there to learn about education, not to learn about the religious points of view,” Ernest Perce told ABC 27.

How is the teacher wearing a necklace teaching the kids about a 'religious point of view'? :confused:

Methinks this parent has way deeper issues than this.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-21-2014, 05:26 PM
The teacher is not following the rules is the point

In 1949, Act 14 (Sect. 1112) prohibited public school teachers from showing any kind of religious symbol or imagery in the classroom. Now, a parent of one of the two students at East Pennsboro Middle School has issued a formal complaint to the school district, claiming a teacher is violating the law by wearing the Star of David on their necklace.

FBD
11-21-2014, 06:01 PM
but the school board already compromised itself by allowing a sub to wear a cross, so...

PorkChopSandwiches
11-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Nit picking but the law says teacher above, the cross was on a teacher assistant :lol:

RBP
11-21-2014, 06:25 PM
the school district cited a case where the ruling was that a religious symbols on necklaces are permissible. His issue is with the court not the school.

Hal-9000
11-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Can the students wear crosses, stars, Burkas etc in the classrooms?

Hal-9000
11-21-2014, 07:51 PM
My teacher is wearing a wedding ring and has a wife!!! He's promoting heterosexuality and I don't like it!!!!!!

8-[

RBP
11-21-2014, 08:16 PM
My teacher is wearing a wedding ring and has a wife!!! He's promoting heterosexuality and I don't like it!!!!!!

8-[
You kid, but there is a lot of chatter, activism, and college courses that revolve around the evils of heteronormative culture.

Muddy
11-21-2014, 09:02 PM
"heteronormative" :lol:

Goofy
11-21-2014, 09:06 PM
You kid, but there is a lot of chatter, activism, and college courses that revolve around the evils of heteronormative culture.

"heteronormative" :lol:

That's even a word? :lol:

Noilly Pratt
11-21-2014, 10:50 PM
That's even a word? :lol:

Teh Fallout Shelter is edjumacational. I'd never heard of such a thing either.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j464/DefaultPB/blank_smiley.png Have a day. (no more smilies then - they force your opinion upon someone else).

RBP
11-22-2014, 12:13 AM
yes, it's real and part of the debate.

From the gender and education association

http://www.genderandeducation.com/issues/what-is-heteronormativity/

Heteronormativity is a term used by social theorists in order to discuss the way in which gender and sexuality are separated into hierarchically organised categories. It has become one of the most important ways of thinking about sexuality within the academic study of sexuality. Theorists have argued that a discourse or technique of heteronormativity has been set up, and subsequently dominates, social institutions such as the family, the state and education.

Heteronormative discursive practices or techniques are multiple and organise categories of identity into hierarchical binaries. This means that man has been set up as the opposite (and superior) of woman, and heterosexual as the opposite (and superior) of homosexual. It is through heteronormative discursive practices that lesbian and gay lives are marginalised socially and politically and, as a result, can be invisible within social spaces such as schools.

Theorists have become interested more recently with bisexual, transgender and intersex lives. If one is able to exist between gender and sexual categories of identity, then one provides a counter argument to the idea that gender and sexuality are fixed and/or natural human characteristics and provide a way to challenge or ‘queer’ our understandings of these categories. Bisexual and transgender identities are able to be read in this way because law, science and education often talk about gender and sexuality as fixed, immovable and pre-ordained human characteristics that fit into either oppositional group (male/female and gay/straight). Political rhetoric also often follows this script. The idea that people can live in a different gender to the one they were born into, or refuse to identify as either male or female, or that people can have intimate sexual relationships with men and women and reject the gay or straight classification, demands that we re-think the way we understand gender and sexuality, what they mean and what they are and can be.

======================================

For some it is in the same category as patriarchy - part of the social system design that serves to oppress by setting societal standards attainable only by those in power.

deebakes
11-22-2014, 12:36 AM
:shock:

RBP
11-22-2014, 04:28 AM
:shock:

You think that's confusing... try working cisgender into it.

Hal-9000
11-22-2014, 04:57 PM

I ain't just a pretty face [-(

normative......that's when Cliffy explains some trivia and Mr Peterson agrees

Griffin
11-23-2014, 08:31 PM
"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

RBP
11-23-2014, 08:35 PM
:lol: