PDA

View Full Version : Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel stepping down, Fox News confirms

Teh One Who Knocks
11-24-2014, 03:18 PM
FOX News and The Associated Press

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will officially resign amid growing pressure from the Obama administration over his handling of several international crises, Fox News has confirmed.

Hagel, 68, is expected to meet with President Obama at the White House at 11 a.m.

Hagel, a Republican, is the first member of Obama’s team to step down following the sweeping midterm elections where Republicans took control over the Senate.

Hagel took office Feb.27, 2013.

A senior defense official said that Hagel submitted his resignation letter to Obama Monday morning and that the president accepted it. Hagel agreed to remain in office until his successor is confirmed by the Senate, the official said.

The official said both Hagel and Obama "determined that it was time for new leadership in the Pentagon," adding that they had been discussing the matter over a period of several weeks.

The president is not expected to nominate a new Pentagon chief Monday, according to one official.

The officials insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter by name ahead of Obama's official announcement.

Hagel is a Republican who served as senator from Nebraska and became a critic of U.S. involvement in Iraq. Obama nominated him to succeed Leon Panetta as Defense Secretary in his second term.

Hagel served in the Vietnam War and received two Purple Hearts.

Recent questions about Hagel's future at the Pentagon were prompted in part by his decision to postpone a long-planned trip this month to Vietnam. At the time, officials said he needed to remain in Washington for congressional consultations, but that did not stop speculation that the White House might be looking for a replacement for the final two years of Obama's term.

Just last week Hagel was asked about the speculation during an interview on the Charlie Rose show. He was asked whether he's concerned by the speculation.

"No. First of all, I serve at the pleasure of the president," Hagel said. "I`m immensely grateful for the opportunity I`ve had the last two years to work every day for the country and for the men and women who serve this country. I don`t get up in the morning and worry about my job. It`s not unusual by the way, to change teams at different times."

FBD
11-24-2014, 04:11 PM
another pawn is shown the door, thanks for serving your purpose to the overlords