PDA

View Full Version : House (spoilers possible)

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Anyone else see the season finale last night?

Did it just jump the shark with the way it ended? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Did you watch it last night Porky?

AntZ
05-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Well I just finished it an hour ago, I do wonder how they will pick it up again next season??

I guess they can now just explain her away real easy, she just had to leave because of what he did. :meh:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah, but this episode was in the can before she announced she was leaving the show :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Here's a Q&A session with executive producer David Shore discussing the finale:

'House' EP David Shore on the shocking season finale and the show sans Cuddy
by Sandra Gonzalez

The creative team at House has their work cut out for them next season following the departure of one of their beloved leading ladies, Lisa Edelstein. But David Shore is more than up for the task. This morning, following last night’s shocking finale, Shore called up EW to reflect on the episode, the season of Huddy, and what fans can expect next season.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: I have to start off by asking, did House want to run over Cuddy and Co.?
DAVID SHORE: No. I think he was aiming at the house — not at the people. Obviously, he was taking a huge risk, but I don’t think he was trying to kill anyone off, but I think he was risking killing some people.

Did you see the crash, that grand gesture, as closure for him or just a boiling over of emotion?
Both and probably so much more. I hate to tell audiences what to think of gestures. We write the gestures, and the gestures are motivated, but complicated. So I’m sure it’s all those things and more.

What’s the “and more” in your perspective?
Well, I’m sure there was a lot more going on in his head — what he was trying to achieve, what he was thinking about, what he wasn’t thinking about.

That last shot we saw him in, are we to assume he fled to a different country?
Yup. Far away.

Last time time I talked to Greg Yaitanes, he mentioned that the Huddy existence had sort of become a bigger thing than y’all expected. Initially, when writing this finale, was this crash meant to be an eventual clean slate for them, a reset?
It was a clean slate and a reset. I’m not sure those are different things. That [relationship] was something we enjoyed, but we don’t want to just continue retracing our steps. We want to move on to new things and different things. And perhaps to some extent go back to simpler times on the show. The purer times of House the character. We’d had enough — for the moment — of the relationship stuff. We’ll find more to do in the future. We wanted to be able to explore different aspects] in the future.

When you went into the finale, were you aware of the cast situation you’d be in? Did you get a chance to write accordingly? (Edelstein announced last week she would not be returning for the show’s eighth season.)
No. We lucked out, I suppose, in that regard because [the finale] does allow for that creatively. But that was not what was intended. That was not what was planned. We have to figure out what’s going to happen. With problems, come opportunities. We’re looking forward to figuring out where we go next year and what cool stuff we’re going to do.

I think fans are excited to see where you go. Any idea what that looks like at this point?
You’re going to have to watch next season. [Laughs]

In retrospect, what’s been the highlight storytelling wise, for you?
You know, the Huddy stuff, it couldn’t work indefinitely. I never thought it could work indefinitely. House is just not somebody who is born to be in a nice, domestic relationship. But I did enjoy the relationship. I enjoyed the trip. I think we did a good job of letting House be House and Cuddy be Cuddy while still, at the same time, being House and Cuddy. I enjoyed that.

Switching gears really quick to Taub (Peter Jacobson), you left his story in a hilarious place. Two pregnancy announcements with two different women in two weeks?
I’m amazed at how many people have since told me that, “Oh yeah, I got a friend who’s in a similar situation.” [Laughs] So I’m sorry! I’m sorry, world.

What made you want to do that to him?
This is a character who just can’t control himself it seems. He loves his wife. He’s capable of great love, but also great mistakes. So throwing him in the middle of it seemed like an attractive option.

Lastly, the show is really good, I feel, at reinvention. You get House into these situations — like the psych ward — where it seems like there’s no way back. Then, you find this tiny thing to reset things with. Can we expect something similar here or can we expect a total 180 change?
In a way, I think you can expect a similar recurrence. I never want to completely turn this show into a different show. That’s too easy. The challenge to me is to have life go on and yet it still be part and parcel in that life. Life goes on.

Pony
05-24-2011, 10:14 PM
I only saw the last 2 minutes of it. WTF?

Godfather
05-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Wow... just watched it.

Very unexpected episode.... we always get cliff-hangers with House but jumping-shark was my concern there too. It's going to be very interesting to see if they can end the series next season while keeping the same essence of the show.

Really unsure of how I feel. This was one of my favorite seasons since the early ones, but now I'm not sure sure. The thing with Taub having two women pregnant is hilarious though :rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Wow... just watched it.

Very unexpected episode.... we always get cliff-hangers with House but jumping-shark was my concern there too. It's going to be very interesting to see if they can end the series next season while keeping the same essence of the show.

Really unsure of how I feel. This was one of my favorite seasons since the early ones, but now I'm not sure sure. The thing with Taub having two women pregnant is hilarious though :rofl:

Yeah, I dunno about how the left the House/Cuddy thing. I mean House has always been a dick to people, especially people close to him, but he's never done something that stupid before where he could have actually killed someone. That just seems to me to be way over the top, even for someone as narcissistic as House is. :wha:

I agree, the Taub storyline was so much better and hilarious :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:09 PM
I thought it was a horrible finale. Just watched it last night, I was very disappointed, especially after how good the previous episode was.

http://www.innovationtools.com/images/jumping-the-shark.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't see how they can resolve this situation they left and still have it be the same show. :confused:

How can House go back and work at the hospital like nothing happened? At the very least you would think there would be a warrant out for his arrest for what he did. I know they can get around the Cuddy thing since she's leaving the show, but would the new hospital director want a doctor there who tried to kill someone?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Maybe it was all another Vicodin induced dream :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 03:49 PM
That would even be worse!

Oh, that whole ending to last season? It never happened, House just imagined it :thumbsup:

:wha:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Exactly, probably should have just ended right here instead of another year.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
All I hope is that with Cuddy gone for next season that they go back to focusing on the cases more instead of the stupid romance story lines.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
I want more home based surgery :lol:

Godfather
05-25-2011, 04:25 PM
The thing that got me was that he loves Cuddy's little daughter. It was almost something capable of turning his little Grinch heart 10 times bigger..... and then he goes and drives a car through her house? For all he knew, the little kid could have been under that pile of rubble as he walked away all smug.

It just wasn't quite House IMO. Not sure who wrote and directed that one but it ended like a dream or some shit. Hey, wouldn't be the first time a season ended on a dream/drug trip/hallucination...

Noilly Pratt
05-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I didn't think it rang true when House ran his car through her house. He can be an ass but potentially killing people I thought really wasn't in his character.

And to be considerate enough to let Wilson out first? I remember a scene years ago where he's going to knock on Cuddy's door and sees her entertaining...and just gets on his motorbike and rides away. Similar structure, but totally different outcome. Killing for medicine or to prove a theory, yes, but indiscriminate killing or the potential thereof? ...not really buying it.

The fact that Wilson was in the car means he didn't plan to do that initially, but as soon as he told him to get out, he'd made up his mind.

My nephew phoned me and said "what an ass...he totalled the Dodge Dynasty!" He and House have the exact same car and his engine is blown...he shoulda borrowed my nephew's car and totalled it... :) Still, it might be a selling feature...

I would expect Chase to have the "2 ladies pregnant" dilemma, not Taub!

Maybe he's still in the mental ward, hallucinating all of last season. :huh:

AntZ
05-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Maybe it was all another Vicodin induced dream :lol:

That would even be worse!

Oh, that whole ending to last season? It never happened, House just imagined it :thumbsup:

:wha:

Yeah! Explaining away an entire season by calling it all just a bad dream could never happen! :hand: What executive would ever approve a story line, that is so outrageously stupid, for a major top rated show? :-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvinAPPfyAQ

:-s

Then again, remember his dream of Cuddy saving him at the beginning of the season?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 10:32 PM
I doubt they would pull something like that ;)

But I wouldn't put it past them to claim that whole final scene was a hallucination :wha: I mean seriously, they have really painted themselves into a corner with that ending.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-26-2011, 02:57 PM
maybe he will get a job as Doc on the next love boat that rolls by that island.

Godfather
05-29-2011, 04:59 PM
I doubt they would pull something like that ;)

But I wouldn't put it past them to claim that whole final scene was a hallucination :wha: I mean seriously, they have really painted themselves into a corner with that ending.

That what I was thinking... but they have ended several seasons that way haven't they? After the season where he was shot, before the season where he went to rehab.....

Noilly Pratt
05-29-2011, 06:08 PM
I think we might see him check himself back into the Rehab facility - it really sparked the ratings and worked well.

He's like a child who has never ever felt any feelings, and with Cuddy it's his first time of something truly mattering to him, so he's on emotional overload and all the bottled up emotions within him burst out. He's the man who figures out the puzzle, but the ultimate puzzle -- him -- even he can't figure that one out.

Anybody here a Sherlock Holmes fan? I'm not a big fan of those novels, but maybe if you're a Sherlock Holmes expert, you can see where the latest storyline is going.

I know House is set up to mirror Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's character (House -- Holmes);(Dr. Watson -- Dr. Wilson);(lives at 221B Baker St.);(carries a cane);(Vices: Vicodin / Cocaine);(Musician Guitar/Violin);(Holmes Nemesis: Moriarty. Moriarty shoots House).

Godfather
05-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Yeah the House-Holmes parallels are prevalent

I hope they don't re-do the same tired story lines of rehab, or dreams or hallucinations

Having said that... the show's creators have always said the show would remain about the medical mysteries. With House in a foreign country I just don't know how they'll do it. Hell, maybe he'll come back and do a little time in da clink

allsmiles
05-30-2011, 03:09 AM
All I hope is that with Cuddy gone for next season that they go back to focusing on the cases more instead of the stupid romance story lines. Right there with you, buddy. There was a sexual tension between the two of them for many seasons. I'm glad they addressed it, but time to move on.

The thing that got me was that he loves Cuddy's little daughter. It was almost something capable of turning his little Grinch heart 10 times bigger..... and then he goes and drives a car through her house? For all he knew, the little kid could have been under that pile of rubble as he walked away all smug.

It just wasn't quite House IMO. Not sure who wrote and directed that one but it ended like a dream or some shit. Hey, wouldn't be the first time a season ended on a dream/drug trip/hallucination...
Agreed! I loved watching House interact with the little girl.

I'm looking forward to seeing where the show goes now. I am excited to see how Taub deals with his situation, and I hope they bring 13 back again. I've always liked her, and not just because she his hot and bi... I hope Wilson is still around, too. He is one of my favorite characters.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Kind of sounds like next season may be the last :(

'House' scoop: Producers thought Lisa Edelstein would return for eighth year
by Lynette Rice - EW

The character of Lisa Cuddy wasn’t expected to disappear after House’s seventh season. In fact, executive producer David Shore told EW that he was planning on Cuddy’s alter-ego, Lisa Edelstein, to be back for more after they shot the drama’s finale.

Shore says he would have crafted a different season-ender had he known her plans. (The actress, whose contract expired at the end of season 7, declined to renew her deal.) “I don’t know how exactly [I would have changed the finale],” Shore told EW during a special charity event for House Thursday that benefitted the Writers Guild Foundation. “I don’t what it would have been. It probably would have involved more closure on the character. I was really disappointed. I am still reeling from it but we just started meeting a few days ago, like we always do this time of year, to try to map out the first half of the next season, and we are having some very frank discussions about what we are going to do.”

House scribe Peter Blake, who co-wrote the finale with Shore, said explaining Edelstein’s departure will end up being the easy part. “Weirdly for me, I think the harder question to answer is, what would we have done with Huddy if she was still on the show? I think both would have been hard, although we all wish Lisa was still here,” Blake said. “The hardest part about her being gone is we lost an important character to write stories about. I think everyone knows that the writers have nothing to do with her departure. It is a big deal because the Cuddy-House dynamic is one the reasons people watch the show. It was one of the driving forces of the show and one of the reasons it kept bubbling up.”

Shore can’t even say if Edelstein will be back for an episode or two to properly finish her storyline. “We have to plan for her not coming back. It might be interesting to get her in for an episode or two somewhere to wrap up Cuddy, probably would make fans happy, but we have to plan, unfortunately, on her not coming back, because there’s no indication that she would at this point.”

Loath to give anything away, Shore did reveal that it’s likely a new character will take over her job. “It depends on how things unfold but there definitely may well be more than one.” Most importantly, he hopes fans don’t lose interest in the Fox drama. “House is not going to be totally changed or different. The show is what it is. I am who I am. I write what I find interesting and always have. We have a veteran team of writers and we are not going to let the show take a nosedive eight years in. We just won’t. Bear with us fans. We will turn this into an opportunity I promise. We will find a way to bring something new to the show that will get them excited again. It’s all about turning obstacles into opportunities. That’s what life is all about. I loved Cuddy and Lisa, but it’s done and now we move forward. We have just gotten started talking season 8 arcs and trying to plan it and figure out what to do. We will devote ourselves to making season eight a great, great season.”

Speaking of high-profile departures, what does this mean for star Hugh Laurie? The big guy’s hinted that he may want to leave after next season. Will he? “I don’t know yet,” Shore said. “I’d have to discuss that with Hugh, and he’d have to decide, and then I’d have to discuss it with the writers ,and we’d have to figure it out. If it is the last season we want to do it right and go big. If it is not the last season, that doesn’t change my standards of quality much. We will still try to make it a great season.”

Finally, Shore acknowledged that Olivia Wilde’s got a thriving movie career now but “she will be back for at least some of the season. We want her for as many of them as we can get her for.”

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2011, 03:34 PM
So...is Thirteen off the show for good now? Sure made it seem like it after last night's episode :-k

Godfather
10-18-2011, 03:38 PM
I got that feeling too for sure.

I wonder if we'll see any conclusion as to what happened with Taub after it seemed like he'd knocked up two women last season :lol: Or if we'll see any of Chase this year.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2011, 03:42 PM
House did mention that Taub and Chase would agree to come back....but he needs money to pay them, so we might find out what happened. :-k

As long as the hot ex-prison doctor stays all season I'll be happy :tup:

And I like the neurotic new doctor as well, she's hilarious :lol:

Godfather
10-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Ohh right forgot, that's good.

I like her too, Charlene Yi's great. She used to date Michael Cera, they both have that funny super awkwardness about them :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Anyone else watch the series finale last night? I thought it was a fitting ending for a great show. Sad to see it gone now :(

Richard Cranium
05-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I watched it.. I pretty bummed out about it being over, prolly my favorite current show.. I wasn't real crazy about the final.. Almost seemed like somebody else wrote or directed it.. Just seemed kind of off to me.

It's not Lupus,

Noilly Pratt
05-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Anyone else watch the series finale last night? I thought it was a fitting ending for a great show. Sad to see it gone now :(

Just caught it on the web. i didn't see that coming. I thought that Cuddy was going to be in the very last dream sequence he had to wake him up...

What happens when Wilson dies? Will House think life is worth living without puzzles to solve?