PDA

View Full Version : 'The Audacity Of The School': Parents Pull Son From School Over Islam Lesson

Teh One Who Knocks
11-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Lisa Fogarty - Opposing Views

The parents of a Los Angeles boy are reportedly pulling him out of his middle school because they object to the fact that he is being taught about Islam.

The child, who is a student at Manhattan Beach Middle School, was reportedly coming home with assignments about the five pillars of Islam, which made his parents livid because they say he isn’t being taught about the history of the religion, but about the faith itself, reports Breitbart. In one of the assignments, the child’s father says he noticed answer options that included “The one true God, Allah” and “All people must submit to Allah.”

http://i.imgur.com/dGBXs3A.jpg

“The audacity of this school, to think that they can sit these children down and teach ‘em whatever religion they please; it’s preposterous,” the father said. “This is illegal, basically. You can’t teach religion in schools any more, but apparently, in this particular school, at least, that’s not the case.”

The parents say they spoke with the school principal, who reportedly did not agree to be interviewed by KTLA, and that they were told they wouldn’t be changing their lessons. Instead of continuing to fight the school, the boy’s parents opted to take him out and place him in another school.

http://i.imgur.com/ZNENN1b.jpg

They maintain that they would be fine with the school teaching the history of all faiths, but that their son's school is focusing on Islam.

“Can you imagine the outcry all over this country if children were bringing home paperwork that asked them to write down John 3:16, or asked them to write down the 10 Commandments?” the father asked.

perrhaps
11-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Let's stone these whiney infidels!

Teh One Who Knocks
11-26-2014, 01:55 PM
For the most part I agree that the parent is being whiney, but he has a point at the very end of the article...he's right about how huge the uproar would be if they were doing the same thing except with Christianity being involved.

DemonGeminiX
11-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Sick the atheists on them.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-26-2014, 02:03 PM
The atheists only get their panties in a wad when it's something Christian :hand:

DemonGeminiX
11-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Oh. Pussies.

:|

PorkChopSandwiches
11-26-2014, 02:55 PM
The atheists only get their panties in a wad when it's something Christian :hand:

Not true. This shit pisses me off. This is exactly why there needs to be no religion in school.

Noilly Pratt
11-26-2014, 04:02 PM
I get that the school wanted to teach about other cultures/religions but maybe this isn't the way to go about it. My daughter's school had a field trip to go to a Buddhist temple. If the kids' parents wanted their kid to opt out, they could and no awkwardness would ensue.

Nobody opted out, the kids were ultra-curious and asked very intelligent questions. I ferried a few of them in our minivan. This is in Grade 4.

To promote religious tolerance, it would help to understand that there are different points of view.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-26-2014, 06:10 PM
If they want to offer a class on world religion, then they should do it as an elective.

Hal-9000
11-26-2014, 07:26 PM
The history of religion would be a better course...but then you have to teach about how many millions died, Christians, Islamics, Buddhists etc, because of their beliefs

Goofy
11-26-2014, 08:47 PM
The history of religion would be a better course...but then you have to teach about how many millions died, Christians, Islamics, Buddhists etc, because of their beliefs

Not "died", you mean "murdered" :ok: Religion has caused more deaths than any war! No religion should be taught in school, if someone wants to learn about religion then they do it off their own back.

Hal-9000
11-26-2014, 08:55 PM
That's the idea...teach it as part of history, not the actual ideals themselves :thumbsup:

....parent in the story above is walking that line right now with his complaint.