PDA

View Full Version : Palin Lets Her Religion Show, Confuses Prophecy with Actual History

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Saul Relative - Yahoo! Opinion Writer

COMMENTARY | Sarah Palin never seems far away from saying things that invoke biblical allusion or god's name. She has sometimes been known to be as blunt when sharing her religious beliefs as she is about most other issues, like when she spoke with Fox News' Jeanine Pirro on Saturday, telling her that President Barack Obama was on the wrong side of history -- and god -- with his policy positioning on Israel, a position he announced during Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's visit to Washington.

"Anyone who studies history," Palin told Fox News, "studies the Old Testament, studies geography understands that Israel now is surrounded by enemies at all times. It should be now that America takes a stand in defending our friends in Israel."

What Palin, a prospective Republican presidential candidate, was doing, besides currying favor among the evangelical Christians that believe Israel's security is pivotal in End-Times prophecy and attempting to make President Obama into an individual who is thwarting god's will, was an attempt to place the United States in the role of ally and protector of the state of Israel in the context of her religious beliefs. Although her exact beliefs about religion are unknown, Palin has been associated with the Christian Pentecostal movement, a faction of Christianity that holds with the belief that all things move toward a second coming of the messiah (Jesus Christ) and the fulfillment of god's promise to the nation of Israel that their land will be returned to them (known as "dispensationalism").

Palin simply is calling for Americans -- she later in the interview suggests Americans "rise up" and stand with Israel -- to be on the side of Israel and god. For emphasis she says that Obama wants Israel to "negotiate with terrorists" (a direct slap at Hamas, a group recognized by the U. S. as a terrorist organization, which is included in the Palestinian Authority, a democratically elected body that is the key Palestinian negotiating entity in the troubled Middle East peace talks), further casting Obama in the role of a treacherous diplomat.

But Palin conflates history with Old Testament prophecy. The two are not the same. Prophecy and prophetic fulfillment can become history, but they just as easily might well remain unfulfilled prophecies. In Palin's words, history has displayed that the Old Testament, geography, history, and the troubled situation with Israel's neighbors are all indicative of prophetic fulfillment. When the truth of the matter is that the current strife between the state of Israel and Palestinians is a culmination of several wars between Israel and her Muslim neighbors and the gradual and sometimes forced displacement of Palestinians from the region since the turn of the 20th century and the formation of the Israeli state. In short, Palin ignores history and the fact that biblical prophecy may not be occurring at all.

Using Netanyahu's refutation of Obama's stance as a platform, Palin suggests that the U. S. should remain supportive of her long-time ally in the Middle East. This also casts Obama as being opposed to Israel's best interests or as a non-supporter, which is a blatant misrepresentation of Obama's position on Israel and the negotiations, which actually sides with historical precedent.

In the end, religious beliefs and interpretations of Old Testament prophecies are not substitutes for the reality of a very demanding and troublesome situation, no matter how convinced an individual might be. Long accused of having little foreign policy experience and knowledge, Sarah Palin's latest insinuation into another debate over a contentious issue, one that has plagued numerous administrations -- not to mention being a continuous threat to world peace -- over time, only shows her ignorance of the actual situation, its history, and truly emphasizes her lack of expertise in the matters of diplomatic statesmanship.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2011, 11:27 PM
It's people like Palin that are ruining the republican party :|

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2011, 11:48 PM
People like Palin ruin the human race.

I wonder what Bill Hicks would have to say about Sarah Palin had he lived to see today?

:-k

Deepsepia
05-25-2011, 05:32 AM
It's people like Palin that are ruining the republican party :|

I think the Republican Party has moved on. Whether you're talking Pawlenty, or Daniels, or Christie, or Romney, or Huntsman . . . they're all substantial people, who're worth listening to . . . the Sarah Palin story can be retired . . . there was a piece about Fox in New York magazine, where [anonymous] sources claim that Roger Aisles long ago decided that Sarah Palin is profoundly stupid. Not really a surprise, but once Fox has decided on something like that, Sarah's dim bulb went out.

DemonGeminiX
05-25-2011, 05:49 AM
I think the Republican Party has moved on. Whether you're talking Pawlenty, or Daniels, or Christie, or Romney, or Huntsman . . . they're all substantial people, who're worth listening to . . . the Sarah Palin story can be retired . . . there was a piece about Fox in New York magazine, where [anonymous] sources claim that Roger Aisles long ago decided that Sarah Palin is profoundly stupid. Not really a surprise, but once Fox has decided on something like that, Sarah's dim bulb went out.

http://nymag.com/news/media/roger-ailes-fox-news-2011-5/

I think the comment to which you are referring is on page 2 of this article.

Jezter
05-25-2011, 08:21 AM
People like Palin ruin the human race.

:tup: That woman is crazy stupid. And I don't even live there, but still I get enough of the shit that she spews to figure out no-one can really be so messed up to listen to her and let her speak publicly to anyone.

Deepsepia
05-25-2011, 10:25 AM
http://nymag.com/news/media/roger-ailes-fox-news-2011-5/

I think the comment to which you are referring is on page 2 of this article.

Yes, thank you -- it was

"“He thinks things are going in a bad direction,” another Republican close to Ailes told me. “Roger is worried about the future of the country. He thinks the election of Obama is a disaster. He thinks Palin is an idiot. He thinks she’s stupid. He helped boost her up. People like Sarah Palin haven’t elevated the conservative movement.”

While Roger Ailes hasn't come out and said this, and anonymous "close to Ailes" quotes aren't all that solid, there's been a steady drumbeat of "serious" Republicans publicly denouncing Palin as intellectually inadequate and a disastrous choice for the Party in various News Corp fora, which Ailes wouldn't allow if he disagreed.

Karl Rove:
"Being the vice-presidential nominee on the ticket is different from saying 'I want to be the person at the top of the ticket.' There are high standards that the American people have for [the presidency] and they require a certain level of gravitas."

Peggy Noonan:
"Excuse me, but this was ignorant even for Mrs. Palin."

and the most perfect summation

In television interviews she was out of her depth in a shallow pool. She was limited in her ability to explain and defend her positions, and sometimes in knowing them. She couldn't say what she read because she didn't read anything. She was utterly unconcerned by all this and seemed in fact rather proud of it: It was evidence of her authenticity. She experienced criticism as both partisan and cruel because she could see no truth in any of it. She wasn't thoughtful enough to know she wasn't thoughtful enough. Her presentation up to the end has been scattered, illogical, manipulative and self-referential to the point of self-reverence. "I'm not wired that way," "I'm not a quitter," "I'm standing up for our values." I'm, I'm, I'm.

In another age it might not have been terrible, but here and now it was actually rather horrifying.

When Ronald Reagan's speechwriter (and semi-official guardian of the Reagan flame) writes that about you in the Wall Street Journal, you can be sure that the Republican establishment is done with you . . .