PDA

View Full Version : Missouri police union condemns 'tasteless' NFL players' 'hands up' gesture

RBP
12-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Officers’ union calls for St Louis players to be disciplined over ‘hands-up’ gesture and threaten boycott of NFL advertisers

http://i.imgur.com/QBoRlst.jpg

A Missouri police union has condemned players from the St Louis Rams football team for making “hands-up” gestures on the field in solidarity with Michael Brown, the unarmed 18-year-old shot dead in Ferguson, and has threatened to boycott NFL advertisers in response.

The St Louis Police Officers Association claimed that officers found the actions of Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Kenny Britt, Jared Cook, Chris Givens and Tre Mason to be “tasteless, offensive and inflammatory”, and demanded that they be disciplined.

Five of the players emerged for their game against the Oakland Raiders on Sunday with their hands aloft, a gesture used by protesters who claim that Brown was surrendering when he was shot dead by officer Darren Wilson on 9 August. Last week a grand jury decided not to indict Wilson.

“It touched a lot of us, it added fuel to our fire,” Mason, who raised his hands following a fourth-quarter touchdown, told the Associated Press after the Rams’ 52-0 win.

Britt said: “I don’t want the people in the community to feel like we turned a blind eye to it.” Cook added: “I just think there has to be a change.”

Jeff Roorda, the police union’s business manager and a fundraiser for Wilson, said in a statement on Sunday that “it was unthinkable that hometown athletes would so publicly perpetuate a narrative that has been disproven over and over again”.

After months of protests over Brown’s shooting, the grand jury’s long-awaited decision led to a night of rioting and looting. Prosecutors said some witnesses disputed earlier claims that Brown had his hands up after fleeing a struggle at Wilson’s SUV following the officer stopping him for jaywalking.

Calling for the Rams and NFL to apologise publicly, Roorda said in his statement that he understood the players would be defended as merely exercising their right to free speech. However, he added: “Cops have first amendment rights too, and we plan to exercise ours.

“I’d remind the NFL and their players that it is not the violent thugs burning down buildings that buy their advertisers’ products,” he said. “It’s cops and the good people of St Louis and other NFL towns that do.”

Britt reiterated his position in a post on his Instagram account on Sunday. His wrists were shown wrapped in tape with “MIKE BROWN” and “MY KIDS MATTER” written on them. “This game was dedicated to Mike Brown, his family and the community of Ferguson,” he wrote in the caption.

The Rams and their coach, Jeff Fisher, told reporters that they had not been aware of the players’ plans. Roorda said the gesture was particularly offensive to the union because the team had been in contact with the St Louis police department over the past week “asking for assurances that the players and the fans would be kept safe”.

Meanwhile, in the NBA on Sunday, the Sacramento Kings guard Ben McLemore – a St Louis native – played with “RIP Mike Brown” written on one of his shoes during the team’s 97-85 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Freedom of Speech, the cops should look it up.

The NFL has already said there will be no disciplinary action taken against the players.

RBP
12-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Freedom of Speech, the cops should look it up.

The NFL has already said there will be no disciplinary action taken against the players.

I keep reading that bullshit argument. They don't have free speech rights at work. No one does.

The NFL fines players for excessive celebration, ffs. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Lindsay Jones - USA Today

The NFL will not adhere to a request from the St. Louis Police Officer’s Association to discipline St. Louis Rams players who did the “hands up, don’t shoot” pose used by protesters in Ferguson, Mo. during pre-game introductions on Sunday.

“We respect and understand the concerns of all individuals who have expressed views on this tragic situation,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.

The police officer’s association issued a letter late Sunday condemning the players’ actions as “tasteless, offensive and inflammatory” given a grand jury’s decision not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the fatal shooting of black teenager Michael Brown.

Five Rams players raised their hands as they walked out of the tunnel onto the field at the Edwards Jones Dome before Sunday’s game against the Oakland Raiders.

Wide receiver Stedman Bailey said he and his teammates decided to make the gesture shortly before the game, and intended it to be something positive.

“Violence should stop. There’s a lot of violence going on here in St. Louis. We definitely hear about it all, and we just want it to stop,” Bailey told reporters after the game.

Tight end Jared Cook said he and his teammates wanted to show solidarity with protesters, because they had not been able to physically join them since the grand jury’s announcement was made last week. Cook said his family members went to Ferguson last week and reported back to him what they saw.

“It’s dangerous out there. None of us want to get caught up in that. We wanted to come out and show our respect to the protesters that have been doing a heck of a job,” Cook said.

Cook said he didn’t consider his teammates’ actions a distraction, and wide receiver Kenny Britt took issue with the notion that Rams players were choosing sides in a heated community issue.

“We are here making sure something positive comes out of it,” Britt said. “I’m not here for the police. I’m here for a great cause that could come out of this if people come together.”

UPDATE: Rams head coach Jeff Fisher declined to answer questions about his players’ actions during his press conference on Monday, but said none of the five players would face any sort of discipline from the team.

“I’m a head coach. I’m not a politician, an activist, or an expert on societal issues,” Fisher said. “So I’m going to answer questions about the game.”

Fisher described the pregame gesture by several of his players as a “choice to exercise their free speech.” He had not spoken to the five players about it by Monday evening, but he said he planned to.

“Those conversations will most likely remain confidential,” Fisher said.

RBP
12-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Is that an update or a reply? Fisher and everyone else saying that is just plain factually wrong.

Do you really think a player could come out flashing gang symbols or tell reports he supports the clan or neonazis or anything else they league doesn't choose to support? They decided to allow it on field. That doesn't mean it was their constitutional right.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2014, 12:46 PM
If the players employer has no problem with it, why does it bother you so much?

Pony
12-02-2014, 12:46 PM
I'd like to see what happens if 5 players come out on field showing support for the cop.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2014, 12:47 PM
I'd like to see what happens if 5 players come out on field showing support for the cop.

I'd wager to say that the NFL and the St Louis Rams would take the same stance.

Pony
12-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Really? I'd be surprised if that were the case.

Personally this doesn't bother me one bit but I thought the NFL was more strict on stuff like this.

RBP
12-02-2014, 12:52 PM
If the players employer has no problem with it, why does it bother you so much?

It's more the free speech argument that pisses me off. If you agree with the players than have the balls to say that. Don't hide behind a ridiculous constitutional lie.

But it's all the bullshit hypocracy on the part the league, allowing players to use a national stage to incite further unrest.

RBP
12-02-2014, 12:52 PM

:rofl:

Goofy
12-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Looks like they're about to do the YMCA :-k

Hal-9000
12-02-2014, 08:40 PM

what if some of the players made shooting gestures in the endzone and then 'blew' against the tips of their fingers, then re-holstered?

I bet management would fine them in a hurry and we'd hear all about it...

Hal-9000
12-02-2014, 08:41 PM
oh and my thoughts on the story above....I don't like it when news/politics crosses the lines into sports

what they did was classless and opinionated, nothing to do with the job they're doing

DemonGeminiX
12-02-2014, 08:45 PM
What percent of the leagues' players, support staff, and employees are black?