PDA

View Full Version : 'Get on with it and stop whining': Christian Bale tells George Clooney to 'shut up' and stop complaining about fame

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2014, 01:57 PM
By Eleanor Gower for MailOnline

http://i.imgur.com/aTHWXkX.jpg

Christian Bale has told George Clooney he should 'stop whining' about the paparazzi.

The tempestuous actor says Clooney's complaints about the pitfalls of fame are 'boring' insisting people in the public eye should get on with their lives and ignore the extra attention.

'It doesn't matter that he talks about it,' the British star told the Wall Street Journal magazine. 'It's like, "Come on, guys, just shut up. Just get on with it and live your lives and stop whining about it." I prefer not to whine about it.'

The actor was responding to a comment by interviewer Andrew Goldman that he has 'heard Clooney railing about tabloids and privacy.'

Indeed, Clooney once told Parade magazine that he stays off social media to help keep his private life private.

'I don't tweet, I don't go on Facebook. I think there's too much information about all of us out there. I'm liking the idea of privacy more and more,' he said.

And in an interview with Esquire UK last year, he claimed he needed to maintain a sense of calm to deal with being a household name.

'Not that I'm comparing myself to Clark Gable or whoever but they couldn't survive in this environment,' he said. 'They’d punch the s*** out of some people. It requires a kind of Zen quality.

'There’s a funny thing about fame,' he added. 'The truth is you run as fast as you can towards it because it’s everything you want. Not just the fame but what it represents, meaning work, meaning opportunity.

'And then you get there and it’s shocking how immediately you become enveloped in this world that is incredibly restricting.'

Bale - who has a nine-year-old daughter and three-month-old son with wife Sibi Blazic also discussed the paparazzi in the interview given to promote his new film Exodus in which he plays Moses.

While the 40-year-old is renowned for his hot temper, he maintains he tries to stay away from confrontations with photographers, although finds it difficult when provoked.

'I was in Italy with my wife. I would go to work; she would leave the hotel ' he recalled to the magazine. 'There would be a man who stood outside... and say the most obscene things imaginable to my wife.

'I know what he's after; he has a strategy there. Am I able to say I'm not gonna give him that satisfaction of angry Christian Bale coming after this man?

'But equally, he's killing my humanity and my dignity as a husband if I do not, and he knows this. So you've got a choice. 'I don’t really give a s*** what he says about me.

However, the star admitted he actually did 'go after' the man in question.

'One day I walk out and I see him,' he remembered. 'I go after him, and he gets all these shots of me coming after him. Bingo, he’s hit gold. He gets exactly what he wants, smiles and walks off. I feel like an ass because I've given him what he wanted.

'But in my mind, I had no other choice. How could I sit back and accept somebody talking that way to my wife? I couldn't. I just couldn't do it.'

Bale and his wife welcomed a son in August and they are also parents to a nine-year-old daughter.

But the star, who first found fame, aged 13 when he starred as Jamie Graham in Steven Spielberg coming of age war film Empire Of The Sun, says he does not wish for the same fate for his own children when asked if he was 'damaged' by this early fame.

'Everyone’s a bit damaged, aren't they, by something?' he mused. 'You’re not really an adult until you've been damaged by something. Would I ever let my own children go through that? No way in hell, because I would say they’re a victim. You want your childhood.'