PDA

View Full Version : The unlikely friendship between a cop and a 73-year-old widow who he helped with the Thanksgiving shopping

Teh One Who Knocks
12-04-2014, 12:26 PM
By Alexandra Klausner for MailOnline

http://i.imgur.com/pN9l5uF.jpg

When an off-duty officer from Texas visited an older woman during a well-being check, she never imagined they'd for a lasting friendship and that he'd be helping her shop for Thanksgiving groceries six-months later

Officer John Holder of the DeSoto Police Department helped 73-year-old Dorothy Shepard brave the Thanksgiving shopping crowds at a Walmart store in DeSoto and a shopper managed to snap a heartwarming photo of the unlikely pair.

The police department posted the photo on their Facebook page and over 700 people liked the photo and just days later they were interviewed by WFAA-8.

'A citizen took this picture of Officer John Holder helping an elderly lady shop for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. Officer Holder took it upon himself to help and did this on his own time. Great job Officer Holder!!' said the post along with the photo.

Holder told reporters that he met Shepard after visiting her home for a wellness check after she'd had neck and back surgeries and then offered her his cell number should she ever need any more help.

Shepard said she was floored by Holder's kindness.

'I was so surprised that I started rambling,' she told WFAA-8.

'He listened and he was patient.'

Ever since the day they met the two have become friends and when Holder is not working he drives Shepard in his squad car to doctors’ appointments and helps her out in any way he can.

'He said, 'I'll give you my cell phone; if you ever need anything, call me,'''Shepard recalled. 'And as it turns out, the next day I did need a ride!'

'I know police officers, but I never expected him to be that kind, and to go out of [his] way. He's just tremendous,' Shepard added.

Prior to the photo being taken Holder says he didn't tell people that he'd been helping Shepard.

Now he says he's been inundated with with appreciation after the photos surfaced and says he feels blessed especially with all the negative attention the media shining on police in recent days.

'I thought it was pretty amazing, all the great comments on there, since law enforcement is often seen in a negative light,' Holder said.

deebakes
12-05-2014, 12:07 AM
:clap:

Hugh_Janus
12-05-2014, 12:15 AM
he should be shooting her :hand:

Muddy
12-05-2014, 01:38 AM
What is this feel good crap? I help people every day.. This isnt some rare occurrence.! lol:

deebakes
12-05-2014, 01:42 AM
you only help people that pay you :hand:

Muddy
12-05-2014, 01:47 AM
Listen punk.. i love old ladys! :x

deebakes
12-05-2014, 02:15 AM
:doggybanana: