PDA

View Full Version : Verizon android apps

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Having just purchased an S5 on the Verizon network, I'm reading some sites that are saying that most of the preinstalled apps that come with the phone qualify as bloatware.

So when you guys got your android phones, which apps did you ax automatically?

:-k

Also, what apps did you download to replace apps you got rid of?

What apps do you have that you consider "must-haves"?

Goofy
12-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Can't remember what i got rid of but the apps i use most are Dolphin Browser and Tapatalk.......... pretty boring fucker that i am :lol:

Muddy
12-06-2014, 03:45 PM
I dumped all the amazon crap.. Not much more after that.. I did notice the other day that google has its own settings app on the phone.. these people are like big brother riding around in your pocket..

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Do you guys use ant-virus/security apps?

RBP
12-06-2014, 04:37 PM
I deleted nothing and added only merchant specific apps. And no additional security. Now I feel like a n00b.

Yt Trash
12-06-2014, 04:45 PM
I've done same. Unless you download from non secure app stores, IMHO I don't think you're in any danger. I could be wrong though.

redred
12-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Avg do a nice free virus app

PorkChopSandwiches
12-06-2014, 07:12 PM
I shutdown everything that had Verizon in the title by default :)

Muddy
12-07-2014, 12:54 AM

I think there is a Verizon security app running in the background..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-07-2014, 07:32 PM
There is, I don't know if it's any good. VZProtect, I did leave that one on just in case

Hugh_Janus
12-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Having just purchased an S5 on the Verizon network, I'm reading some sites that are saying that most of the preinstalled apps that come with the phone qualify as bloatware.

So when you guys got your android phones, which apps did you ax automatically?

:-k

Also, what apps did you download to replace apps you got rid of?

What apps do you have that you consider "must-haves"?
I deleted pretty much everything I know I didn't need.... the only one I remember off the top of my head is ebay

no, but I only go on youtube and the google play store 90% of the time

Teh One Who Knocks
12-08-2014, 11:17 AM
As far as I know, a lot of stuff can't be deleted unless you unlock the phone (at least on T-Mobile).

I use Lookout security as my A/V app

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2014, 01:33 PM
As far as I know, a lot of stuff can't be deleted unless you unlock the phone (at least on T-Mobile).

I use Lookout security as my A/V app

There are some things on the Verizon phone that can't be deleted, but a majority of it can. The rest you can shut down and hide, and they won't run unless you reactivate them.

Does Lookout have a lot of ads and does it eat battery life faster than if you wouldn't have it installed? I've tried several others and it seemed my battery consumption rate tripled. And a few of them had ads.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-08-2014, 01:34 PM
I use the paid version of Lookout now, but when I was using the free version, I didn't notice any increase in battery usage. But I also run Juice Defender to help with battery life as well.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-08-2014, 06:01 PM
There are some things on the Verizon phone that can't be deleted, but a majority of it can. The rest you can shut down and hide, and they won't run unless you reactivate them.

Does Lookout have a lot of ads and does it eat battery life faster than if you wouldn't have it installed? I've tried several others and it seemed my battery consumption rate tripled. And a few of them had ads.

Yeah, the stuff that verizon puts on cant be undeleted without a rooting, but they can be disabled and that will keep them from running at least