PDA

View Full Version : VW ready to build autos in U.S. again

AntZ
05-25-2011, 07:20 AM
VW ready to build autos in U.S. again

German automaker aims for bigger share of American market

Christine Tierney/ The Detroit News

May 24. 2011 10:12AM

Chattanooga, Tenn.— Volkswagen AG officially opens a $1 billion assembly plant here today, restoring a manufacturing presence in the United States after 23 years, as part of its plan to become the world's leading automaker by the end of the decade.

The Chattanooga facility has hired 2,000 workers to build a car designed specifically for U.S. consumers: a roomier VW Passat midsize sedan that will go head to head against Toyota Motor Corp.'s best-selling Camry and Ford Motor Co.'s Fusion in the biggest segment of the American car market.

As Asian automakers have demonstrated, designing vehicles with U.S. preferences in mind and producing them locally are essential to succeeding in the United States. But they don't guarantee success. Toyota and Nissan Motor Co. both stumbled with their recent assembly plants in the South — in some cases misreading the market and, in others, attempting too many new things all at once.

VW has more than its reputation at stake in Chattanooga, a town tucked in the midst of a stretch of foreign-owned car factories, known as transplants, extending from South Carolina to Texas. The German automaker's new facility, built on the site of a former armaments plant, is the centerpiece of Volkswagen's assault on the U.S. market, where it has invested $4 billion. Counting recent investments in Mexico, where Volkswagen builds the Jetta compact, the figure rises to $5 billion.

"Volkswagen's Chattanooga Operations LLC is the linchpin in the company's plot to triple U.S. sales to 800,000 vehicles in 2018," said Bill Visnic, senior analyst at online auto research firm Edmunds.com. "If VW intends to shoulder past Toyota to sit atop the automotive heap, that grand plan probably isn't going to work if Chattanooga doesn't work."

Volkswagen, Europe's largest automaker, was the first foreign car company to produce cars in the United States after World War II. But it shuttered its New Stanton, Pa., factory in 1988, after just 10 years, during an industry downturn that led to many plant closures across the United States.

In the intervening years, Volkswagen strengthened its dominance in Europe, where it sells cars under the VW, Seat, Skoda, Audi, Bentley and other brands, and has become a powerhouse in China. In 2010, Volkswagen earned $9.42 billion. During the first quarter of 2011, VW sold 1.99 million vehicles, more than Toyota, which was hit by a record earthquake, to move into second place worldwide behind General Motors Co.

VW has said it wants to be No. 1 in 2018, selling 1 million vehicles by then in the United States, 800,000 VWs and 200,000 Audis.
Transplants have stumbled

Volkswagen Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn, VW's global sales chief Christian Klingler, Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam and U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood are among those scheduled to attend the plant's formal opening today.

But while plant openings evoke the prospect of new jobs and revenue, foreign automakers have stumbled with some of their recent transplants.

Toyota miscalculated the demand for full-size pickups when it built a truck plant in San Antonio five years ago, and it halted construction on a plant near Tupelo, Miss., during the recent downturn that left it with idle capacity in North America.

Previously, Nissan suffered a dent to its reputation for quality after building all-new vehicles at an all-new plant in Canton, Miss., with new workers.

Volkswagen also is building an all-new model at a new plant with new workers. For Michael Robinet, Northville-based vice president of global forecasting at IHS Automotive, the biggest risk for VW isn't likely to be a lapse in quality. Automakers watch each others' missteps and learn, he said.

But with the new Passat, "they're moving into territory that's well occupied right now," Robinet said. "It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out."

Volkswagen has redesigned the Passat and the new Jetta to compete in the heart of their segments. Up to now, those models have been competing on the margins. Reflecting European preferences, they packed a lot of features into a small size. But for the American market, they were small and overpriced.

Last year, U.S. sales of VW-brand vehicles were just under 260,000 cars and light trucks, amounting to 2.2 percent of the market.

During the past two years, Volkswagen sold fewer than 13,000 previous-generation Passat cars annually, compared with annual Camry sales of more than 300,000 a year.

"Volkswagen was competing on the periphery because they couldn't be competitive in this segment of the mass market coming out of Europe," Robinet said.
Tenn. plant to cut VW costs

By producing vehicles here, Volkswagen will slash its costs. The exchange rate alone was crippling, given the dollar's longtime weakness against the European euro currency.

In Tennessee, the average Volkswagen wage works out to $27.64 an hour, or $57,500 a year, according to local officials. That's well below pay rates at other U.S. plants with older work forces, but it's a good salary here in Hamilton County, where the average is just under $40,000 a year.

Today's plant opening represents a break for Chattanooga officials who have experienced much frustration watching plants go up all around them. Chattanooga lost out in the competition in 2007 for Toyota's last new plant — which ended up in Tupelo.

"It turned out to be a blessing," said Chattanooga Mayor Ron Littlefield. "Our plant will be up and running before their plant will be up and running."

Godfather
05-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Gutsy ambitions!!

I really like their Tiguan and Toureg's... nice cars

Arkady Renko
05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Seems like a very ambitious move, that's for sure. I suppose the experiences Nissan and Toyota had with their transplants aren't the best comparison, I'd rather think that the success that BMW and Mercedes enjoy with their US plants is the model VW have in mind. It seems they learned from previous failures and try to win the US car owners by offering them "americanized" cars instead of trying to convince them that the european way of building cars is better.

In my opinion the greatest peril for the VW expansion is imperial overstretch. It's one hell of a management task to coordinate a dozen brands worldwide and make sure they don't eat into each other's sales too much. It already happened in europe when Skoda kept improving the quality of their cars until they could compete with VW's own and were 25% cheaper.

Deepsepia
05-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Seems like a very ambitious move, that's for sure. I suppose the experiences Nissan and Toyota had with their transplants aren't the best comparison, I'd rather think that the success that BMW and Mercedes enjoy with their US plants is the model VW have in mind. It seems they learned from previous failures and try to win the US car owners by offering them "americanized" cars instead of trying to convince them that the european way of building cars is better.

There are lots of big advantages to building in the US-- one is getting out from under the exchange rate issues, another is shipping cost, a third is labor flexibility (you can fire people in the US) and a fourth is political power . .

In my opinion the greatest peril for the VW expansion is imperial overstretch. It's one hell of a management task to coordinate a dozen brands worldwide and make sure they don't eat into each other's sales too much. It already happened in europe when Skoda kept improving the quality of their cars until they could compete with VW's own and were 25% cheaper.

The Skoda story is interesting. On the question of cannibalization, that's one of the nice things for Volkswagen about the US market-- if they win a sale here, its most likely not fron another VW marque.

AntZ
05-25-2011, 10:55 AM
It already happened in europe when Skoda kept improving the quality of their cars until they could compete with VW's own and were 25% cheaper.

I've owned a Audi already and I now own a Škoda! Forget VW's, I'll put my Škoda up against an Audi any day! With the exception of a little bit of plushness the Audi's get, IT'S THE SAME CAR! In fact, my Surperb is bigger then an A6!

Deepsepia
05-25-2011, 11:45 AM
I've owned a Audi already and I now own a Škoda! Forget VW's, I'll put my Škoda up against an Audi any day! With the exception of a little bit of plushness the Audi's get, IT'S THE SAME CAR! In fact, my Surperb is bigger then an A6!

what's the difference in price?

beowulf
05-25-2011, 01:45 PM

for comparable spec level the skoda is @2/3 the price of the audi...........its all the same running gear underneath

Arkady Renko
05-25-2011, 01:46 PM

Totally agree. I'd never trade in my Octavia for the comparable Audi or VW models. That's both the beauty and the peril of platform strategies. The A 6, the Passat and the Superb are basically the same car, only the design varies and the extent of the extra features you can add. Seeing how many parts are from the same factories and suppliers, most of the price difference lies in how much they can get away with for the respective brand. As it happens, the Superb you have will be the last such Model Skoda will be allowed to sell in western europe. Apparently VW wants Skoda to return to its cheap-but-reliable image here and only keep it as an entry-level luxury brand for markets like India, which, in my opinion, would suck for the buyers.

as an example, the skoda superb wagon with a 2.0 litre TSI gas engine starts at 29950 € here, whereas the Audi A 6 Avant with the same engine starts at 40500 €, and at a glance the features included in the start price are about even. The thing is that a lot of people in germany still prefer a german brand over the Skoda regardless of its quality and the fact that their profits end up here anyway. So I suppose the price gap is particularly big over here.

beowulf
05-25-2011, 01:54 PM
dont forget VAG own SEAT as well...........there is a hell of a lot of cross over and competition in amongst the 4 brands if you think about it

Arkady Renko
05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Apparently their idea is that they could hardly build a credible brand identity for all the markets they want to tap into. Makes sense to a certain degree cause you can't sell a 4,000 $ box on wheels in India under the same brand as a 200 K luxury sedan in the US. But I am worried that 12 or 13 brands (if they get their hands on Alfa) is just too much to manage efficiently.

AntZ
05-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Totally agree. I'd never trade in my Octavia for the comparable Audi or VW models. That's both the beauty and the peril of platform strategies. The A 6, the Passat and the Superb are basically the same car, only the design varies and the extent of the extra features you can add. Seeing how many parts are from the same factories and suppliers, most of the price difference lies in how much they can get away with for the respective brand. As it happens, the Superb you have will be the last such Model Skoda will be allowed to sell in western europe. Apparently VW wants Skoda to return to its cheap-but-reliable image here and only keep it as an entry-level luxury brand for markets like India, which, in my opinion, would suck for the buyers.

as an example, the skoda superb wagon with a 2.0 litre TSI gas engine starts at 29950 € here, whereas the Audi A 6 Avant with the same engine starts at 40500 €, and at a glance the features included in the start price are about even. The thing is that a lot of people in germany still prefer a german brand over the Skoda regardless of its quality and the fact that their profits end up here anyway. So I suppose the price gap is particularly big over here.

I thought you had a A4 diesel?

In Switzerland, all the cars are more expensive. Our Superb 4x4 is fully loaded with the exception of the auto-park system and the all glass roof. It came in at just under 50,000 SFR. Then we got 10,000 for the A6 in trade, so it was just around 40,000 SFR. Included in the price was also the sport wheel upgrade and winter sport wheel set.

The new A6 Quattro with the same stuff was going to be close to 90,000 SFR.!

And our car has the biggest back seat in it's class!

Have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OHCM5ZbxHc

Muddy
05-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Whats that in dolla?

AntZ
05-26-2011, 01:59 PM
The SFR is now stronger then the Dollar

Exchange rate of 1.1531

50,000 SFR. = $57,655.4969

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter/?u#from=CHF;to=USD;amt=50000

Muddy
05-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Thats a lot of money....

AntZ
05-26-2011, 02:08 PM
This is one of the main reasons we bought this car!

It just eats up snow and ice! I put it through all the tests I could try this winter and it was great in the bad weather!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdzwknzKBLQ

About half way through, they're testing the Superb.

Muddy
05-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Do you think these Euro cars are better than American cars or are the Brits just snotty?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 02:14 PM
I'd never buy a VW...simply because they don't make pick-ups. My next vehicle will most likely either be a Ford or a Toyota.

Muddy
05-26-2011, 02:15 PM
C.R. has been really kind to Ford lately...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 02:18 PM
They build a good vehicle and they keep getting better quality wise.

Muddy
05-26-2011, 02:19 PM
I'd consider the new Explorer if I was in the market... Those things look great...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 02:23 PM
How's the fuel mileage on them?

Muddy
05-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Not too good, I dont think... But nothing in that size is....

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
That's true....I get between 18 and 20 with my Ranger and I'm fairly happy with that considering it's the 4.0L V6

Arkady Renko
05-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Do you think these Euro cars are better than American cars or are the Brits just snotty?

That's hard to say, they sure are much better suited to our needs here, and in most of the european factories, particularly in germany, austria, finland, belgium, slovakia and the czech republic the general quality is at least as good as in japan, if not better. These cars usually don't do awfully well in the US market because most people there want cheap, big, roomy cars with a lot of cupholders. I think it explains why american brands don't do well in europe except for the specifically eruopean models of Ford and GM.

I thought you had a A4 diesel?

In Switzerland, all the cars are more expensive. Our Superb 4x4 is fully loaded with the exception of the auto-park system and the all glass roof. It came in at just under 50,000 SFR. Then we got 10,000 for the A6 in trade, so it was just around 40,000 SFR. Included in the price was also the sport wheel upgrade and winter sport wheel set.

The new A6 Quattro with the same stuff was going to be close to 90,000 SFR.!

And our car has the biggest back seat in it's class!

Have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OHCM5ZbxHc

I had Audi A 4s as rentals several times, but I never bought one.

I'd never buy a VW...simply because they don't make pick-ups. My next vehicle will most likely either be a Ford or a Toyota.

They actually launched a pichup called Amarok recently. I don't know if it's any good though. Their Touareg SUV is a very nice piece of german engineering at any rate, and it's off road worthy as opposed to many of those pseudo-SUVs.

Muddy
05-26-2011, 03:36 PM
They actually launched a pichup called Amarok recently. I don't know if it's any good though. Their Touareg SUV is a very nice piece of german engineering at any rate, and it's off road worthy as opposed to many of those pseudo-SUVs.

That thing looks like a total "Honda Ridgeline" ripoff..

KevinD
05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Here's my take on US market VW's. Over the years, they've had some nice cars, but, yep as was stated: overpriced, too small, and not enough power. THEN there's the whole parts issue, and dealer work. Parts are prohibitively more expensive for VW's here stateside. My mother has an 03 New Beetle convertible. I tried to talk her into NOT buying it, but she wouldn't listen. Dealer service has really sucked on this car, have had problems with getting recall work done, the top has gone out 2 times, and not it's parked with a bad trans at 50,000 miles.