PDA

View Full Version : Denmark bans sale of yeasty Marmite spread

redred
05-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Denmark has banned the savoury spread Marmite, saying its added vitamins and minerals break food safety laws.
The Danish authorities must give their permission for products with such additives to be sold.
In recent years they have banned several well-known items - including the chocolate malt drink Ovaltine and some breakfast cereals.
Already a shop in Copenhagen has been ordered to remove jars of Marmite from its shelves.
BBC Europe correspondent Chris Morris says outraged expats in the country are already threatening a campaign of civil disobedience and there are suggestions that the Danish ban could break European law.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13536479

Jezter
05-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Silly danes.

redred
05-25-2011, 08:52 AM
really? it's does taste bad :lol:

Foxdana
05-25-2011, 08:57 AM
really? it's does taste bad :lol:

I agree, they should use the real thing, vegemite! :lol:

beowulf
05-25-2011, 08:58 AM
marmite>vegemite :nana:

nomnomnomnom....love it on toast

Southern Belle
05-25-2011, 08:59 AM
I've never tasted it.

Arkady Renko
05-25-2011, 09:40 AM
a clear breech of european law, they'll be getting some expensive mail from brussels soon.

Jezter
05-25-2011, 12:58 PM
a clear breech of european law, they'll be getting some expensive mail from brussels soon.

There are some things I hate about EU with passion and they are laws like this... There are some infamous EU directives that are straight from the sigmoid.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Marmite (ˈmɑrmaɪt/ mar-myt) is the name given to two similar food spreads: the original British version, first produced in the United Kingdom and later South Africa, and a version produced in New Zealand. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing.

The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." Other similar products are the Australian Vegemite and Swiss Cenovis.

The distinctive product was originally British, but a version with a different flavour has been manufactured in New Zealand since 1919, and this is the dominant version in New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.

The image on the front of the British jar shows a "marmite", a French term for a large, covered earthenware or metal cooking pot. The British Marmite was originally supplied in earthenware pots, but since the 1920s has been sold in glass jars that approximate the shape of such pots. A thinner version in squeezable plastic jars was introduced in March 2006.

:puke:

Muddy
05-25-2011, 01:19 PM
I thought a marmite was a small woodland animal..

Arkady Renko
05-25-2011, 01:35 PM
There are some things I hate about EU with passion and they are laws like this... There are some infamous EU directives that are straight from the sigmoid.

Why? if we have a common market, it makes sense that a product that can legally be sold in a member state must be legal in the other states unless it's a health hazard. After all, safety laws for food and drugs are almost the same all over the EU anyway, and if you have to have your product approved in every single member country, where's the benefit of the EU?

Hugh_Janus
05-26-2011, 05:46 PM
I wonder if they'll be like the french were with the british beef thing....

EU: you're breaking the law by not selling british beef
france: I don't give a shit

:lol:

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 06:00 PM
yeasty marmite spread

was expecting a pron gallery :oops:

carry on pls

DemonGeminiX
05-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Denmark has banned the savoury spread Marmite, saying its added vitamins and minerals break food safety laws.
The Danish authorities must give their permission for products with such additives to be sold.
In recent years they have banned several well-known items - including the chocolate malt drink Ovaltine and some breakfast cereals.
Already a shop in Copenhagen has been ordered to remove jars of Marmite from its shelves.
BBC Europe correspondent Chris Morris says outraged expats in the country are already threatening a campaign of civil disobedience and there are suggestions that the Danish ban could break European law.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13536479

:shock:

They banned Ovaltine?!?!

[-(

That's just unAmerican.

Oh, wait...

:oops:

DemonGeminiX
05-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Silly danes.

Silly Danes, maybe, but are any of them Great?

I'll get me coat...

:coat:

MrsM
05-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Silly Danes, maybe, but are any of them Great?

I'll get me coat...

:coat:

Just the real ugly ones

Jezter
05-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Why? if we have a common market, it makes sense that a product that can legally be sold in a member state must be legal in the other states unless it's a health hazard. After all, safety laws for food and drugs are almost the same all over the EU anyway, and if you have to have your product approved in every single member country, where's the benefit of the EU?

But we are not states like the USA! We are our individual independent countries, damnit! Not all and every friggin' thing needs to be EU approved. They don't need to make a directive to tell how bent a cucumber can be (they tried...) or how round a tomato has to be. We are our own independent countries and while EU is good and Im very much pro-EU, but come on... Im pretty syre the danes can figure it out on their own without having to ask for EU to settle some chickenshit like this.

AntZ
05-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Denmark bans sale of yeasty Marmite spread

Someone might need to tell them that the plague of smelly vaginas is not caused by the Marmite! They just need to bathe more! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/household/009.gif

:shock:

They banned Ovaltine?!?!

[-(

That's just unAmerican.

Oh, wait...

:oops:

Ovaltine was created right here where I live, it's the pride of everyone that lives here.

Ovaltine was developed in Berne, Switzerland, where it is known by its original name, Ovomaltine (from ovum, Latin for "egg", and malt, originally its main ingredients). Soon after invention the factory moved out to the village of Neuenegg a few kilometres west of Berne, where it is still produced.

I've been to that huge factory too, they have a factory store there.

Acid Trip
05-27-2011, 01:42 PM
But we are not states like the USA! We are our individual independent countries, damnit! Not all and every friggin' thing needs to be EU approved. They don't need to make a directive to tell how bent a cucumber can be (they tried...) or how round a tomato has to be. We are our own independent countries and while EU is good and Im very much pro-EU, but come on... Im pretty syre the danes can figure it out on their own without having to ask for EU to settle some chickenshit like this.

Perhaps the EU countries should have thought about that before joining? You trade a single sovereign government for a semi-sovereign government with EU overlords. This is precisely why you'd never seen a North American Union or anything like that. We might take Canada/Mexico on as states (chopped up into smaller sizes of course) but we'd never let someone dictate what we did in the US like the EU does.