PDA

View Full Version : Researchers begin campaign to increase the legal drinking age to 25

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Paul Hamaker - Examiner.com

http://i.imgur.com/aQ0WRUgl.jpg

Convictions for driving under the influence have become flat after most of the states in the United Sates adopted a legal blood alcohol content of 0.08 and increased the minimum legal drinking age to 21 years of age. James C. Fell from the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation in Calverton, Maryland and Gregory Bloss with the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism examined data from police stops in an effort to determine what measures best prevent drunk driving. The study was reported in the Dec. 16, 2015, edition of the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research.

The researchers admit to polling politicians at the national and state level to increase the legal drinking age to 25 and lower the legal blood alcohol content to 0.05 percent. Finding no political support for their cause, the experts examined what has worked best in preventing drunk driving. The researchers show that the rate of traffic stops and the number of DUI convictions had the greatest deterrent effect on drinking and driving over the last 25 years. All communities that had an increased police presence had a lower rate of drinking and driving.

The exploratory investigation aimed to find out what worked best in the past. The future the researchers propose means higher taxes for increasing police presence. The data for the analysis was taken from the National Roadside Survey and included traffic stops where individuals had a blood alcohol content of more than 0.05 percent.

The study lays the groundwork for an increase in the legal drinking age to 25 years of age and a reduction in the legal driving limit of alcohol to 0.05 percent. The report reminds people that over 10.000 people in the United States are killed every year as a result of drunken driving. The lower limit for blood alcohol content appears to be the best way to go. Raising the legal drinking age to 25 will make Prohibition look like a house party.

deebakes
12-18-2014, 01:54 PM
yeah, because europe clearly has it backwards by having the drinking age even earlier than here in the states :facepalm:

redred
12-18-2014, 02:54 PM
:beer::woot:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Lets make more criminals :dance:

Muddy
12-18-2014, 04:02 PM
I'd be more apt to raise the legal driving age to 18...

PorkChopSandwiches
12-18-2014, 04:45 PM

Me too, kids are all ready drinking long before 21, changing the drinking age isnt going to make any difference. But, I dont think many kids are out driving without a licence. Most kids at 16 arent responsible enough to drive. I dont see me allowing my son behind the wheel next year at this point.

Goofy
12-18-2014, 06:33 PM

I'd be happy to see it raised to 28........ and under 70 too :)

Griffin
12-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Removing cell phones from vehicles would be more effective than any age limitations.

deebakes
12-19-2014, 12:33 AM
age and cell for driving makes fuck loads more sense :shrug: