PDA

View Full Version : Black woman says this ‘white guy’ is racist for sitting next to her on a train

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Hannah Bleau - Young Conservatives

It’s pretty amazing how many things are racist– according to liberals anyway. Disliking Obama is racist. Supporting voter IDs is racist. Talking about black crime is racist, and apparently, asking a tall woman to help you reach something on a top shelf in a department store is also racist, according to FLOTUS.

A writer for the liberal rag Salon, Brittney Cooper, recently documented her awful encounter with a racist man on a busy train. According to her story, she was sitting and listening to music. She had her bag in the empty seat next to her and the man asked her to move it but she apparently didn’t hear him (I’m guessing because of the headphones). It was then that she witnessed his “white hand” move her bag so he could have a seat.

So racist.

Excerpts from Salon:

On Friday, I was on the train to New York to do a teach-in on Ferguson at NYU. Beats headphones on, lost in thought, peering out the window, I suddenly saw a white hand shoving my work carry-on toward me. Startled, I looked up to see the hand belonged to a white guy, who was haphazardly handling my open bag, with my laptop perched just inside to make space for himself on the seat next to me.

That he wanted the seat on the now full train was not the problem. That he assumed the prerogative to place his hands on my bag, grab it, shove it at me, all while my computer was unsecured and peaking out, infuriated me. I said to him, “Never put your hands on my property.”

His reply: “Well, you should listen when I talk to you.” That line there, the command that when he, whoever he was, spoke, I should automatically listen encapsulates the breadth of the battle against racism we have to fight in this country.

Buoyed by his own entitlement, his own sense of white male somebodiness, this passenger never even considered that he might simply try harder to get my attention before putting his hands on my stuff. His own need to control space, his own sense of entitlement to move anything in his way even if it held something of value to another person, his belief that he had the right to do whatever he needed to do to make the environment conform to his will are all hallmarks of white privilege.

Sorry Brittney, but you’re WAY overcomplicating this whole scenario. Everyone who has lived in a big city knows the insanity and chaos surrounding public transportation. Most people don’t really think about what’s going on, and personal bubbles are almost nonexistent. Plus, everyone knows it’s just plain rude to use your bag to take up a seat when it’s that crowded. It’s common courtesy. Instead of screaming “white privilege,” why don’t you try to look beyond your own preconceived notions and stereotypes.

Or was that racist of me to ask?

RBP
12-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Exactly. It's far beyond ridiculous. Any who thinks that POTUS, FLOTUS, AG Holder, Sharpton and the rest are not making it worse is delusional.