PDA

View Full Version : Authorities: 2-year-old boy accidentally shoots and kills mom inside northern Idaho Wal-Mart

RBP
12-31-2014, 04:45 AM
HAYDEN, Idaho — A 2-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his mother after he reached into her purse at a northern Idaho Wal-Mart and her concealed gun fired, authorities said Tuesday.

Veronica J. Rutledge, 29, was shopping with her son and three other children, Kootenai County sheriff's spokesman Stu Miller said. Rutledge was from Blackfoot in southeastern Idaho, and her family had come to the area to visit relatives.

She had a concealed weapons permit. Miller said the young boy was left in a shopping cart, reached into his mother's purse and grabbed a small-caliber handgun, which discharged one time.

Deputies who responded to the Wal-Mart found Rutledge dead, the sheriff's office said.

"It appears to be a pretty tragic accident," Miller said.

The victim's father-in-law, Terry Rutledge, told The Associated Press that Veronica Rutledge "was a beautiful, young, loving mother."

"She was not the least bit irresponsible," Terry Rutledge said. "She was taken much too soon."

The woman's husband was not in the store when the shooting happened at about 10:20 a.m. Miller said the man arrived shortly after the shooting. All the children were taken to a relative's house.

The shooting occurred in the Wal-Mart in Hayden, Idaho, a town about 40 miles northeast of Spokane, Washington. The store closed and was not expected to reopen until Wednesday morning.

Brooke Buchanan, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, said in a statement the shooting was a "very sad and tragic accident."

"We are working closely with the local sheriff's department while they investigate what happened," Buchanan said.

There do not appear to be reliable national statistics about the number of accidental fatalities involving children handling guns.

In neighboring Washington state, a 3-year-old boy was seriously injured in November when he accidentally shot himself in the face in a home in Lake Stevens, about 30 miles north of Seattle.

In April, a 2-year-old boy apparently shot and killed his 11-year-old sister while they and their siblings played with a gun inside a Philadelphia home. Authorities said the gun was believed to have been brought into the home by the mother's boyfriend.

Hayden is a politically conservative town of about 9,000 people just north of Coeur d'Alene, in Idaho's northern panhandle.

Idaho lawmakers passed legislation earlier this year allowing concealed weapons on the state's public college and university campuses.

Despite facing opposition from all eight of the state's university college presidents, lawmakers sided with gun rights advocates who said the law would better uphold the Second Amendment.

Under the law, gun holders are barred from bringing their weapons into dormitories or buildings that hold more than 1,000 people, such as stadiums or concert halls.

deebakes
12-31-2014, 05:49 AM
:rip:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-31-2014, 08:10 AM
The dad talked him into it

redred
12-31-2014, 09:35 AM
poor kid going to give it some issues later when they get told how mummy died

so i take it the trigger is light on these type of guns and it has no safety ?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-31-2014, 11:23 AM
so i take it the trigger is light on these type of guns and it has no safety ?

What type of gun? Nowhere in the story does it mention what type of gun it was other than it was a "small calibre handgun" :dunno:

If I had to guess, she had the hammer cocked and it was loaded and there was either no safety or she had the safety off. The father-in-law claims she wasn't irresponsible, but I would beg to differ.

redred
12-31-2014, 12:56 PM
What type of gun? Nowhere in the story does it mention what type of gun it was other than it was a "small calibre handgun" :dunno:

If I had to guess, she had the hammer cocked and it was loaded and there was either no safety or she had the safety off. The father-in-law claims she wasn't irresponsible, but I would beg to differ.

"small calibre handgun" is that not a type of gun :shrug:

i know for a fact that my child would have trouble pulling the trigger on a nerf gun at that age let alone something heavier like a small hand gun , but like you said if she walked around with it cocked and it was loaded and there was either no safety or she had the safety off maybe the right person died rather than her child

DemonGeminiX
12-31-2014, 01:03 PM
"small calibre handgun" is that not a type of gun :shrug:

Caliber refers to the size of bullet. There are many different calibers of bullets. And many different guns for each caliber made. A .22 caliber bullet, which can be considered small, has full length rifles as well as small concealable pistols that use it as ammunition. But the same can be said for many different calibers of bullets.

DemonGeminiX
12-31-2014, 01:08 PM
By the way, the .22 is relatively hard to kill someone with. It'd have to be a really well-placed shot. They probably meant she had a small concealable handgun. They come in many calibers, and some not so small where caliber is concerned.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-31-2014, 01:23 PM
I've searched a bunch of news stories, nobody is reporting what type of gun was used. If I had to hazard a guess, maybe it was a .32 or a .38? Possibly a revolver, but who really knows. Although if it was a semi-auto and she was walking around with a round chambered, the hammer cocked, and the safety off floating around inside her purse, then she is a supreme dumbass and an accident waiting to happen, and obviously it did.

Goofy
12-31-2014, 02:30 PM
darwin:

Hal-9000
12-31-2014, 08:41 PM
"She was not the least bit irresponsible," Terry Rutledge said.

She left a two year old alone with access to a loaded handgun...

I would argue that statement above.

Loser
12-31-2014, 08:46 PM
More so, she carried a gun, loose in a purse, with no holster...

Hal-9000
12-31-2014, 09:00 PM
and we would have to assume one of two things....the child managed to switch off the safety OR the mom left it off.....I pick the latter as being more feasible

PorkChopSandwiches
12-31-2014, 09:17 PM
The end result, was probably the best case

RBP
12-31-2014, 09:24 PM
The end result, was probably the best case

Among what options? If someone had to die, glad it was her and not a kid? Like that?

Hal-9000
12-31-2014, 09:29 PM
I think that's what he meant.....the Darwinian karmatic pointing of the gun

RBP
12-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Except for the whole "having to live with killing your mom", thing.

Hal-9000
12-31-2014, 09:32 PM
yeah good point....thanks Mom :(

Goofy
12-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Except for the whole "having to live with killing your mom", thing.

Banning handguns would prevent this :tup:

:doh:

RBP
12-31-2014, 11:10 PM
Banning handguns would prevent this :tup:

:doh:

We've discussed this. Go to your room. :nono:

Loser
01-01-2015, 05:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ZtwpJ6s.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2CJg6FV.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
01-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Is that legit?

PorkChopSandwiches
01-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Among what options? If someone had to die, glad it was her and not a kid? Like that?

Yeah

Loser
01-01-2015, 06:51 AM
Is that legit?

No, it's from a meme someone started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5h4enjrHw

-edit-

FYI, if you watch the video, you'll understand that I edited this while on the crapper, and why it's funny :lmao:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Classic :rofl: